Hey guys, this song has been one of my favorites for a while, the amount of interaction between the instruments is genius, it's beautiful. Learning to play this song is hard especially because I'm transitioning between being a full economy picker to being an alternate picker. And this is pretty much alternate + alternate string skipping

It sounds simple at first but when you get down to it, it's much trickier than it looks. Maybe it's easy to learn fast and sloppy but to learn CORRECTLY and clearly with all of the palm mutes as defined as they are in the recording and in the right place, that's tricky.

I would say that this is a very good song to learn because of the patterns, the picking, and the harmonies. It's tricky, but at the same time nothing too hard or impossible that some practice can't fix. Anyone else find it interesting or think learning it has helped them?
Last edited by Knight Elijah at Jan 4, 2016,
C-0-ngrats -0-n being a skilled guitar player-0-0-0... D-0-es this even bel-0-ng in the Metal f-0-rum?

S-0-unds like every Djent pr-0-ject ever to my -0-ld ears.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Last edited by VampireGoldfish at Jan 4, 2016,
Quote by VampireGoldfish
C-0-ngrats -0-n being a skilled guitar player-0-0-0... D-0-es this even bel-0-ng in the Metal f-0-rum?

S-0-unds like every Djent pr-0-ject ever to my -0-ld ears.

This... Is not djent in the slightest. If you actually pay attention to the rhythm section it's doing anything BUT open strings for the most part. To make it clear, referring back to the root note after a phrase is completely different from just mashing open strings. It's called music theory, maybe you should learn it and one of the things it teaches is suspense, dissonance and resolution, using the root note after a bunch of other notes is resolution. Maybe if you weren't so salty you could improve as a guitarist by being less closed minded.

The point of posting this is because as I was learning it, I realized there were some picking patterns that actually ended up being very good excersizes. Therefore learning a song while simultaneously possibly improving picking technique is great in my book.

Who am I kidding, the real way to get better at guitar is to be a metal elitist. Who needs practice when you can just insult everything to make yourself feel better

Unless you're joking, in that case Poe's law applies and nvm lol
Last edited by Knight Elijah at Jan 4, 2016,
S-o-rry, but m-0-dern Metalc-0-re sounds a whole lot like what Djenty stuff is d-0-ing. And again, y-0-u're a much better guitarist than I will ever be (mainly because I am a pianist and n-0-thing m-0-re) s-0- I never made a p-0-int stating the -0-pp-0-site.

I, -0-n the -0-ther hand, am a much m-0-re pr-0-ficient UG p-0-ster than you are. With that in mind y-0-u sh-0-uld know that this music will n-0-t receive much attenti-0-n ar-0-und these parts and your internet cal-0-ries- w-0-uld be better spent elsewhere.

N-0- ill will intended. We can like different music and not dev-0-lve into bickering.

Traditonally Metalc-0-re music ar-0-und these parts were p-0-sted in the Hardc-0-re f-0-rum. This sh-0-uld be indicative of what I am trying t-0- express.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Quote by Ironic Maiden
That hurts to read

Th-e he-ro a-r-r-iv-es, and ki-l-l-s t-h-e dra-gon w-i-th je-rky m-o-t-i-o-n-s. He the-n f-u-cks t-he pr-in-ce-ss i-n od-d t-i-me s-i-g-s, l-e-aving h-er di-sple-as-ed, and sh-e f-i-nis-hes t-he j-o-b w-ith a d-il-do
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Quote by VampireGoldfish
S-o-rry, but m-0-dern Metalc-0-re sounds a whole lot like what Djenty stuff is d-0-ing. And again, y-0-u're a much better guitarist than I will ever be (mainly because I am a pianist and n-0-thing m-0-re) s-0- I never made a p-0-int stating the -0-pp-0-site.

I, -0-n the -0-ther hand, am a much m-0-re pr-0-ficient UG p-0-ster than you are. With that in mind y-0-u sh-0-uld know that this music will n-0-t receive much attenti-0-n ar-0-und these parts and your internet cal-0-ries- w-0-uld be better spent elsewhere.

N-0- ill will intended. We can like different music and not dev-0-lve into bickering.

Traditonally Metalc-0-re music ar-0-und these parts were p-0-sted in the Hardc-0-re f-0-rum. This sh-0-uld be indicative of what I am trying t-0- express.

That's fine haha, although when I saw the "metal" section one of the definitions was "-core"

I'm not big into metal core myself, it's kinda old, I'm more into jazz fusion but the occasional song can be interesting
Quote by Knight Elijah
I'm more into jazz fusion but the occasional song can be interesting

How does Jazz Fusion relate into any of this? Just curious, that was a really odd sentence.

I don't know much anything about ABR, but I make a point not to listen to bands that follow the "subject verbs adjective" naming pattern or any of it's kin.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by Kevätuhri
How does Jazz Fusion relate into any of this? Just curious, that was a really odd sentence.

Why do I have the feeling that when he says jazz fusion he means BtBaM and AaL?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777

That's what I was afraid of, hence I asked. I have nothing in particular against either band, I appreciate the technical talent in AaL even though their music is for the most part pretty uninteresting, and I used to be quite the btbam fan and still consider them noteworthy as far as progressive music goes. But I still chuckle everytime I see someone going "Tosin is such a great jazz guitarist".

Speaking of Fusion and Metal, I had a dream last night where Jaco Pastorius collaborated with Death in some live show and it was great.
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by theogonia777

Necroing this thread just for amusement to bring back the elitist assholes. Fusion like chon, not AAL or BtBaM. But good job putting words in someone else's mouth. You're really cool. I wish I could be like you when I grow up. You are such a god. Please tell me more *sarcasm*
Quote by Knight Elijah
Necroing this thread just for amusement to bring back the elitist assholes. Fusion like chon, not AAL or BtBaM. But good job putting words in someone else's mouth. You're really cool. I wish I could be like you when I grow up. You are such a god. Please tell me more *sarcasm*

There's nothing elitistic in saying that CHON isn't jazz fusion though, because they have nothing to do with jazz fusion. They're an instrumental rock band.
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
Quote by Kevätuhri
There's nothing elitistic in saying that CHON isn't jazz fusion though, because they have nothing to do with jazz fusion. They're an instrumental rock band.

Elitist was directed towards the white power dude and I would personally disagree. They are often classified as fusion and I agree with that as they are incorporating many different elements with jazz styles, but to be honest I would rather suck up and savor an entire septic system filled with blood, pus, urine, and feces than waste another minute debating fucking genres. This post had nothing to do with genres, and once again has been derailed like they always do. At least on sevenstring people aren't ridiculously obsessed with classification.

Jesus Christ

Not angry at any specific person here just annoyed by the fact that there can be no lighthearted discussion without the genre dissing and pissing
Quote by Knight Elijah
they are incorporating many different elements with jazz styles

Like what exactly?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
Like what exactly?

Techniques, the use of chords, modes, and often even chord progressions commonly found in jazz, the obvious improvisation sections that relate back to an A section (although that doesn't have much to do with fusion since fusion isn't bound by rules), come on dude it doesn't take a genius to listen to them and notice a prominant jazz influence. Are they late Miles Davis reincarnate? No, they are their own sound. Coming from someone who went to a performing arts school and studied jazz I do actually know what I'm talking about.

how the hell does this have to do with the subject of the original post?!
Last edited by Knight Elijah at Feb 27, 2016,
Use of chords, modes, and even chord progressions commonly found in jazz. Damn.
Quote by Knight Elijah
Necroing this thread just for amusement to bring back the elitist assholes.

I guess I'll have to take your posts seriously then
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

Dude, you better. He "went to a performing arts school and studied jazz [sic erat scriptum with run-on][He does] actually know what [he's] talking about."
Quote by theogonia777
Dude, you better. He "went to a performing arts school and studied jazz [sic erat scriptum with run-on][He does] actually know what [he's] talking about."

I'm not even going to bother, if I was trying to brag I would've said more and said it sooner. Why do you think I should take your opinion on anything? You've done nothing but give childish comments, derail the thread, and troll.
Quote by Knight Elijah
I'm not even going to bother, if I was trying to brag I would've said more and said it sooner. Why do you think I should take your opinion on anything? You've done nothing but give childish comments, derail the thread, and troll.

Welcome to UG.
Quote by Knight Elijah

Not trolling. You clearly have less knowledge of the subject you are discussing than you believe (jazz fusion, etc) but justify your lack of knowledge by claiming that you have studied jazz (I'm not saying I doubt it by the way) and that therefore you are more qualified on the subject. You clearly didn't learn enough on the subject to adequately discuss it.

Besides, you're the one making the claim of a band being jazz fusion because X, Y, and Z but offer no legitimate examples to back your argument. The burden of proof is on you and until you provide evidence, there is no grounds for legitimate discussion.

And let's be honest. Nobody here wants to discuss August Burns Red.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Feb 27, 2016,
Quote by theogonia777
Nobody here wants to discuss August Burns Red.

But threads about bands people want to discuss don't turn out as entertaining.
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
Quote by Kevätuhri
But threads about bands people want to discuss don't turn out as entertaining.

That's why threads are often better off being derailed. A discussion on jazz fusion is clearly of more value.
Quote by Random3
Welcome to UG.

This about sums up everything

Mods, lock this thread, I'm done listening to imbeciles and now at the second page, not ONE post has been about the subject.

What a hellhole
Yeah. Very good example of how this place runs. New person comes into wanting to discuss something. When somebody disagrees with their point of view, they fail to back it up with real evidence, being completely blown away that people don't agree with their opinions, ideas, thoughts, etc on the topic. They are then shot down and have no one to blame but themselves.

Clearly you're not open to discussion, so it should be no surprise that there is room for discussion. You came in expecting everyone to share your opinions on a band playing a style of music that is very unpopular in this forum. When confronting with differing opinions that contradicted your own, you simply got upset. What did you expect would happen after you should no ability to have a discussion?
Quote by Knight Elijah
I'm done listening to imbeciles

Great argumentation

The thing is, it just really bugs me when people run around calling everything that uses more than 4 chords "jazz inspired" and fusion. Chon is maybe, maybe a little bit influenced by jazz, but it's not a jazz fusion band. It's a rock band. I dislike needless categorization as much as the next guy, but it's even more annoying when people throw around subgenres and get them wrong. It's like calling Black Sabbath classical music.

And about the thread derailing, the thread itself isn't really a metal subforum thread. I think it's a better fit for guitar techniques tbh. It isn't helping that the band in question is probably classified as "dogshit" according to the UG metal approved guidelines.

Anyway, it's the internet, and while I dislike trolling and flaming as much as anyone, it's still up for the user to handle it for the most part and honestly, no one here has been trolling that much, this argument just isn't as one sided as you think.
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
Quote by theogonia777
Yeah. Very good example of how this place runs. New person comes into wanting to discuss something.

Which in this case was technique, specifically in relation to an August Burns Red song.

Quote by theogonia777
When somebody disagrees with their point of view,

If you call "S-0-unds like every Djent pr-0-ject ever to my -0-ld ears." disagreeing with a point of view, then ok.

Quote by theogonia777
they fail to back it up with real evidence,

Not one reply in this thread has actually had anything to do with the OP. All replies are either "ABR sucks" or pedantically and sarcastically picking holes in things TS says to provoke arguments that have no relation to anything.

If this thread was "HEY GUYS BLACK VEIL BRIDES ARE SO COOL" and was posted in the Pit then I would 100% understand trolling flaming and general dick-ishness.

This is a thread supposedly regarding technique in an August Burns Red song, posted in the Metal subforum. And it has devolved into

"You don't know what jazz is."
"No, you don't know what jazz is."
Listening to the song while I post. Thanks for the suggestion. ABR will always be one of the biggest names in metal. I remember when every riff every guitar player wrote would sound like an ABR riff hahahaha!

Pretty cool intro definitely (no surprise, it's ABR!) It definitely is quite challenging to get with the feel of the rhythm. It's not typical at all! The thing you said about how all the instruments line up is one thing my drummer friend loves about them. They really are genius when it comes to writing.

Again thanks for the share. I haven't listen to this one until now.