Ok, not exactly first. First one ever was an Ibanez SAS , that I had roughly for a month before I had a break in, and one of the thieves loved it, which was back in 2006. Anyhow, for the brief time I had it, I appreciated it a lot, or as much as I could for someone who wasn't used to electric guitars and their soft strings. It's small neck was fantastic for easy and simple solos and improvisations, and at the time, it felt like I could play classical music while on clean, and then flip and turn a few things and jump right into Iron Maiden's The Trooper in a matter of second.

That one was a gift, however, but now I'm seriously looking myself, and after going through the topic about what to look out for, and countless of internet searching, frankly, I have no idea what I want. So I'll let my brain diarrhea loose here, and hopefully some good soul will give me some useful input.

What do I want to play? Everything. I love blues, I love clean stuff, some uncreative examples being B.B. King, and Bo Diddley, and that taste ranges all the way to trash metal. Well, that side of the specter is very limited, Annihilator is probably one of 2-3 bands that go so "far" that I like, or Love in Annihilator's case (mostly because I highly dislike the usual vocals in those sub genres), but simply I adore those clean yet screamy (if that makes any sense) noises that Jeff Waters comes up with (listen over the intro solo of The Trend or Stonewall solo to see what I'm talking about). Now I know it's mostly the amp's job when it comes to produced sound, but the more detail I give the better, I suppose. So in a nutshell, I don't want a guitar that's meant mostly for playing heavy metal, or only for playing jazz. Something that's somewhat versatile in several genres.
Not sure if relevant or not, but I'm also a fingernail player (at the moment, unless gentlemen here convince me to switch to a pick in the technique section).

Not, this is going to sound fairly stupid, but I'm afraid I realized I'm also very bitchy when it comes to how the guitar looks. I know, I know, it doesn't matter how it looks, it's all in the quality. But it's not, it may perform like a master, but I'd feel a black hole in my chest and the need to hit the toilet every time I'd look at that ugly thing sitting in my living room, that I know I gave significant amount of money for, and I have to hug it every day. Still talking about the guitar, by the way.

So here's a random, nit picky mess of thoughts.

What do I like? This is the most beautiful overall guitar I have ever seen, I literally shat my pants when I saw the picture a couple of days ago.

http://*******/RS2mSp

Problem is, I really don't love the weight and size of Les Paul guitars I got to try at people's homes or in shops. I'm also not a giant fan of insanely shiny finish on all of those I've seen, but that's a very minor annoyance. But I really love the shape of the body, and it's completely round ass. So basically, my dream guitar would be like in the picture above, but small, and with matte finish. :p

Other than that, I like simple designs. I seem to like matte finish a lot, or at least one that doesn't shine like a pair of brass balls. And I'd be thrilled if the guitar would be of smaller proportions. The SAS I had was very light and small, and trying those heavy Les Pauls or Strats felt like maneuvering a tank after it. I also seem to prefer dark colours, most notably red and black, but anything goes as long as it's not neon green. I also usually like the absence of a pick guard, but I've seen some cool, non intrusive ones that I dug a lot.

Oh and yeah. I think I'll get hated for this. But I deeply dislike the classic strato/telecaster models. Deeply. And well, I'd never get a flying V either.

Here are some other examples of guitars I liked (found through random google search):

https://*******/k503Aa

http://*******/dEI67q

http://*******/3fMyad

If someone does get a guitar in mind to suggest, it would also probably be useful to mention that I wouldn't go with a budget higher than $850, and any pickup and amp wizardry that you might have in mind are very welcome. I did read some up on those too, but I understand it as much as Japanese. And I only know how to say "hi" in Japanese.

Sorry for the long post and for being annoying, and I look forward to seeing what you guys will come up with.

EDIT: wow ok, all the links have been messed with. I'm assuming it's another forum rule against spam, but damn.
Last edited by MrNewGuy at Jan 4, 2016,
It is likely there's a specific word in your link or a banned website that's triggering the site's censorship software.

Do you know the name of the models you posted?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
You could look at a few PRS models. My SE custom 24 has quite a small body (although it weighs a bit), and has a translucent dark red finish over quilted maple, if that's your sort of thing. You could also look into LP clones. IIRC there are some that are considerably lighter than an actual Les Paul.
My first suggestion at this point would be an Electra Omega Prime in the Ceruse finish.
http://www.electraguitar.com/products/eocrs-eoc

I have one in the maple finish, and it is my second favorite LPclone in my collection. Feels great, sounds great.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

I'd wait for NAMM. Looks like Jackson may be coming out with an LP shape. If they were to do an X-Series one, it would be basswood which makes for a lighter guitar and around your budget, and they're not afraid of matte colors either.
The Hagstrom Swede, Super Swede, and Ultra Swede are- as I recall- smaller bodied than typical LPs. Especially the Ultra.

Fernandes' Monterey is also small-bodied, but may be too metal and too glossy. Ditto DBZ's Bolero.

Used SG standard or special. Gets you the Gibson sound and feel without the weight of a Les Paul.
When you use the term "versatile" as far as electric styles my mind always turns to semi-hollow body guitars, particularly if blues and jazz are in the picture. These guitars aren't particularly popular in today's metal environment, but they are proven rockers from years past. Of course that doesn't match up with your small profile consideration, and they can be unwieldy on stage. But in terms of the most useful and versatile guitars I've ever owned, they beat everything hands down. For gigs I use 3 guitars, a Les Paul, a Strat, and a Gretsch hollowbody. At home, for recording, practice, or dialing in presets for gigs I use an Epiphone Sheraton. That kinda says it all.
^ i disagree, if you know you want to play heavier stuff i'd avoid the semihollow stuff. you can get better lower gain tones out of solidbodies than heavier tones out of semis or hollows in my experience (though i might be biased since i err towards heavier tones).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by dannyalcatraz
It is likely there's a specific word in your link or a banned website that's triggering the site's censorship software.

Do you know the name of the models you posted?

Not specifically, but as it turns out guys posted very similar guitars here.

Specifically, this post nailed it quite closely;

Quote by dannyalcatraz
The Hagstrom Swede, Super Swede, and Ultra Swede are- as I recall- smaller bodied than typical LPs. Especially the Ultra.

Fernandes' Monterey is also small-bodied, but may be too metal and too glossy. Ditto DBZ's Bolero.

Loving the Ultra Swede, black one with no wood details comes fairly close to the one I described as the sexiest I've seen, minus the golden details, but those were only small things like pickups and tuners which are replaceable, but also not that important. This one also has no pick guard which I fancy a lot. Glossy, but I don't really mind it. If the price I found on the net, between 300-400 is correct, I'd be able to dish a lot more on an amp.

However, I don't consider Monterey or Bolero as too metal either, but are really nice guitar models as well.

It's a bit stupid, but I'm also avoiding the SG model. My best friend has it, it would feel silly to buy the same guitar. :p

Not hating on the Godin xTSA Gloss Wine Red model either.

Man, that was a lot of replies, thanks for all the suggestions guys!
Well...you came to the right place to find people who could make suggestions about how to spend your money on guitars.

Quote by dthmtl3
I'd wait for NAMM. Looks like Jackson may be coming out with an LP shape.

Source?
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Source?

Their official facebook page posted a photo on new year's day with some teaser silhouettes on it. One of them is LP shape.
too bad you hate the strat body style -

My faded SG is nice. A bit lighter since it doesn't have the heavy finish. Pretty "solid guitar"
+1 on that recommendation
Just go into the store, pick the cheapest one off the rack, and proceed to fame and fortune.
Quote by TobusRex
Just go into the store, pick the cheapest one off the rack, and proceed to fame and fortune.

I don't want the cheapest, nor do I want to be famous. :p Wouldn't mind some fortune though.
Quote by MrNewGuy

It's a bit stupid, but I'm also avoiding the SG model. My best friend has it, it would feel silly to buy the same guitar. :p

Despite the obvious resemblance, the Reverend Sensei is not a SG. It is almost like a crossbreed between a SG and a LP. The Sensei is versatile, and has been produced in a few colors you might like. The korina body is relatively lightweight, but it is thicker-bodied than a SG, so will weigh more than a SG, but less than an LP.

They're made in a few configurations, but I figured that you'd appreciate these more than most:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/REVEREND-SENSEI-RA-Wine-Red-Ebony-Neck-/321965273334?hash=item4af6a030f6:g:tRgAAOSwZG9WiJGG

https://reverb.com/item/1355457-reverend-sensei-ra-fm-gloss-wine-red-w-free-shipping

https://reverb.com/item/921191-reverend-sensei-ra-2013-satinburst-blue-flame-korina-maple-case-candy-reverend-hardshell-case

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reverend-Sensei-RA-Gloss-Black-Ebony-Fingerboard-/361391243159?hash=item542498bf97:g:VtUAAOSw~bFWMleg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reverend-Sensei-RA-Electric-Guitar-Satin-Purple-Burst-/191740902550?hash=item2ca4a5fc96:g:geAAAOSwsFpWTHGE