I was actually fixated on the Zoom G1on or G1Xon... Until I saw the Zoom G3x. Well its almost thrice the price of G1 but has a USB audio interface... To record in a DAW directly, i.e., a DAW will see it as a sound source when connected to a system.. Does G1 have USB audio interface? So that I don't have to use my old and electrically noisy generic guitar link?
The G1 has a USB out. It is not the same type of cable that the G3X has though.

The G3X is a better buy, though. If you need to save a bit of money get the G3 (no X). It does not have the expression pedal built-in but that is the only difference. You can find expression pedals pretty easily (and you might not even need it).
Quote by Will Lane
The G1 has a USB out. It is not the same type of cable that the G3X has though.

The G3X is a better buy, though. If you need to save a bit of money get the G3 (no X). It does not have the expression pedal built-in but that is the only difference. You can find expression pedals pretty easily (and you might not even need it).

Here's the thing:
Zoom G3X - $216.30
Zoom G3 - $225.50

I know that the G1on or Xon has USB for patches and software updates... But can it be used as a USB audio device?

Because I have a generic guitar USB audio link that I'm using with GuitarRig 5 to connect my guitar to PC. If it(G1on or Xon) does not have USB audio, then the analog output of the G1on or Xon should be connected to my noisy link then to PC
Last edited by niranjan23d at Jan 4, 2016,
About the USB: Oh right. No it does not seem that the USB will act as an interface. If it did it probably would not be much better than the Guitar Link either.

About the prices: HA! That does not make sense. Where are you located?

Also I am not confident that either the G1 or the G3 would be much of an upgrade compared to what Guitar Rig can do. Maybe you just want to invest in a better Audio Interface?
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 4, 2016,
I'm from India.

There's an online musical megastore called http://www.bajaao.com
The prices are from there.

They 👆 say the G3 has a very good interface and has low latency and high quality. But looking at this I will probably go for G1on or the G1Xon. Won't be paying thrice just for a USB interface.
Quote by niranjan23d
I'm from India.

There's an online musical megastore called http://www.bajaao.com
The prices are from there.

They 👆 say the G3 has a very good interface and has low latency and high quality. But looking at this I will probably go for G1on or the G1Xon. Won't be paying thrice just for a USB interface.
I highly doubt the G1 will be better that what Guitar Rig can do, and even then you still have to run it through the guitar link. I do not think it would be a good use of your money. The G3 does have more options to justify the higher price tag. But really I would just look towards a proper Audio Interface to get the guitar link out the way.
Quote by Will Lane
About the USB: Oh right. No it does not seem that the USB will act as an interface. If it did it probably would not be much better than the Guitar Link either.

About the prices: HA! That does not make sense. Where are you located?

Also I am not confident that either the G1 or the G3 would be much of an upgrade compared to what Guitar Rig can do. Maybe you just want to invest in a better Audio Interface?

Also, I don't have the hardware to control guitar rig 5 by foot or those fancy control knobs by 'native instruments " and they're over my budget. If I had, then I would have connected my guitar to the device itself and not have purchased the USB link.
Quote by Will Lane
I highly doubt the G1 will be better that what Guitar Rig can do, and even then you still have to run it through the guitar link. I do not think it would be a good use of your money. The G3 does have more options to justify the higher price tag. But really I would just look towards a proper Audio Interface to get the guitar link out the way.

With the USB link, say in GR5 I use the preset as "Boosted Solo Metal" . if I set input gain to full, there's just too much noise and if I sat the noise gate high, say goodbye to finger picking.
If you are just playing at home, foot control for Guitar Rig should not be much of an issue. At least considering how you would sacrifice tone and money just for a bit of external control. The G1 really does not have much external controls besides patch scrolling if I am correct, and even the G3 is somewhat limited.

If the main issue is the USB interface, check out the Focusrite 2i2 or the Mackie Onyx Blackjack.
Quote by niranjan23d
With the USB link, say in GR5 I use the preset as "Boosted Solo Metal" . if I set input gain to full, there's just too much noise and if I sat the noise gate high, say goodbye to finger picking.
That is what gain does, friend. You will get a noise with distortion especially if you put the input gain on high, no matter how you are producing the sound! The G1 or the G3 will not help in that regard.
Aww mayyyn!!!!! Dayyyum. Seems I just can't find a perfect setting with presets, gain and noise gate.
Maybe try less gain. Also using an overdrive pedal sim in front of an amp simulation might help you get the sound you are looking for. Many quintessential metal tones involve a Tubescreamer-based overdrive pushing a crunchy amp, and there is less gain overall then you think. So your amp is just below the gain saturation you need, and the TS slams it with a high output level and low gain.