I have been interested in learning to play guitar and I love all kinds of music, but I'd like to start with a more blues / jazz / country style.

(correct me if I'm categorizing it wrong because as far as guitar goes I don't know what to call it)

Some of the modern country artists I've heard with a guitar sound that I like have been guys like Chris Stapleton (song ex: nobody to blame), Thomas Rhett (die a happy man), Eric Church.

I know people say Acoustic guitar, which I'm not totally opposed to, but I'd also like to get that slightly more twangy sound that makes me feel like it sounds more western/southern that most other generic mainstream country, if you get what I'm saying.

Open to suggestions, I did search for similar posts but couldn't find anything.
Thanks.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jan 5, 2016,
Try a tele or maybe even a strat. As he said tele rules for country, but the strat is more versatile for the other stuff
Originally posted by Joshua Garcia
I just come here to dick around.
And maybe occasionally wave my dick around.

My D is major
Either a Tele or a Strat will do a nice job of that, with specific models depending on what you're willing to spend.

Quote by jwmcdaniel97
Try a tele or maybe even a strat. As he said tele rules for country, but the strat is more versatile for the other stuff

I don't like to tell someone they're wrong but I'd feel remiss if I didn't contradict you here. Teles are a little different from Strats, but they're really not significantly less versatile. I mean, I love my Tele enough to sell all but one of my cheaper electrics for it, and then sell the last one too once I had it (and still, with only a little guilt, want another Tele )*. Other Tele lovers include but are not limited to John Frusciante, Muddy Waters and Rory Gallagher. I'm not his biggest fan, but how about Jimmy Page? Led Zeppelin I and the Stairway solo were recorded with a Tele. The Tele's got it's associations, but genre-wise I don't believe it's at all less versatile than a Strat.

*And for the record I'm fairly sure I've never known a whole country song in my life.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Jan 5, 2016,
Agreed. I find a Tele every bit as versatile as the Strat, just different voices. I own both and the Tele is my #1 at gigs 9/10 times.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I'myself have started 4 years ago with an acoustic guitar.
1. "softer" than a western; first you've to built up a "thick" skin on your fingertips
2. the saddle is wider - easier to find exactly the right string
3. First guitar can be "cheaper" ; you will change after some practice (1 year)
with acoustic can play everyting.
That is my story...I play country ballades, pop, folk.
If my english is not perfect; excuse I am german
i got a boss me80, and the 'acoustic simulation' sound in the marty friendman live preset is the best ive heard. just get a processor with good modeling and ability to change the "sound" of the pickup. thats my advice. then you could get whatever guitar is comfortable.