Page 1 of 2
Hey Guys,
Id like to improve my Tube Head with Pedals. I want to have more Bass and a more aggressive Tone for Metalcore like Riffs.

I have an "Engl e651 Artist" and it has alot of Gain and its quite aggressive but i want to push it a litte bit more because the Gain sound isnt really that aggressive so id like to turn that down and get a pedal.

What would be good options?

I thought about Maxon Overdrive maybe. What can i do to get more Bass?
You can get an overdrive, there are a lot on the market, but the Tubescreamer by either Maxon or Ibanez is the industry standard. There are a variety of overdrive pedals, and YouTube has all kinds of videos for shootouts between different OD pedals. The tone control on the OD pedal will give you more low end. If you need even more low end, an EQ pedal would most definitely give you more than enough low end.
Gibson Les Paul 60s Tribute
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
You've been told repeatedly to try an OD pedal on at least a half-dozen of your other threads -- have you tried that yet?

Other than that, try an EQ pedal in the loop. That will allow you to enhance anything you like about your amp and/or reduce any characteristics you don't like.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM
You've been told repeatedly to try an OD pedal on at least a half-dozen of your other threads -- have you tried that yet?

Other than that, try an EQ pedal in the loop. That will allow you to enhance anything you like about your amp and/or reduce any characteristics you don't like.

No I didnt try an OD Pedal. I just want to know what good Brands are.
I cant go to a local store and try it. I have to order it, so I wanted to know what anyone thinks about the maxon.

And yeah had to explain again what i want to do with it and maybe someone comes up with anything else.
If you´re annoyed by my questions no need to read them.
Well if you want more bass a typical tubescreamer may not be what you're looking for. The Maxon OD808, Ibanez TS9, etc all cut the bass to tighten up the low end.

I got a Budda Zenman Overdrive for XMas that is a pure Boost and a tube screamer overdrive in one case. Using the pure boost doesn't change the EQ on the amp, it just pushes it harder with amazing results IMO so far with the Dual Rec Roadster.

I believe Visual Sound has a similar pedal too or you can just get a single function boost pedal. I think Exotic makes one.

You may also like a MXR 10-Band EQ pedal in front of the amp as there is a slider to boost the level in addition to the tone sliders. You can pump more bass in this way but I don't know how it will sound differently going before the bass knob on your amp.

You may want a boost before the amp and the. The EQ in the loop to add or subtract whatever else you want after the amp's tone stack.

Also, I mentioned this in one of your other posts but if Engls were an option and you want aggressive just get a Savage or Invader 2 and call it a day. Just get the right tool for the job to start with.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
BOSS HM-3. It'll give you more bottom than you can wipe. Bass players even use them. Check out Youtube for demos. Only way to find one now is used though.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pearl & Ebony • Les Paul PlusTop Pro Honeyburst • AJ220VS • Squier Standard Stratocaster CAR
Marshall Class 5 Combo • Digitech HT-2 • Vox V847 • MXR M68 Uni-Vibe • Soul Food • BOSS SD-1 • Digitech RV-7
Quote by Stillhouse
BOSS HM-3. It'll give you more bottom than you can wipe. Bass players even use them. Check out Youtube for demos. Only way to find one now is used though.

Are you suggesting he use it as a boost or as the source of his main tone? If he uses a pedal for the main source of his distortion, then he just spent way too much money on an amp.
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
Quote by metalmingee

Also, I mentioned this in one of your other posts but if Engls were an option and you want aggressive just get a Savage or Invader 2 and call it a day. Just get the right tool for the job to start with.

I played other Engls again and I still liked the Artist best (Cant really explain it in english but they sound like too dirty to me). The Artist sounds epic on Clean, Classic Rock and most Metal stuff but sometimes i wish i could just push it a little more... Maybe I should buy a used 5150 for "Brutal Metal" and keep the Engl for Rock/Clean and older Metal Stuff :/
Really like the Artist so i dont know what to do ^^ Can still give it back but i really like it
The struggle is real...
Quote by Nolasludge
Are you suggesting he use it as a boost or as the source of his main tone? If he uses a pedal for the main source of his distortion, then he just spent way too much money on an amp.

From his other threads I gleaned that his current amp isn't scratching his itch and was looking for pedal suggestions to get him there. The HM-3 does nothing but metally, aggressive distortion with a hefty bass boost. I figured it might be up his alley. You could be right about spending too much.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pearl & Ebony • Les Paul PlusTop Pro Honeyburst • AJ220VS • Squier Standard Stratocaster CAR
Marshall Class 5 Combo • Digitech HT-2 • Vox V847 • MXR M68 Uni-Vibe • Soul Food • BOSS SD-1 • Digitech RV-7
Quote by slayer87lp
I played other Engls again and I still liked the Artist best (Cant really explain it in english but they sound like too dirty to me). The Artist sounds epic on Clean, Classic Rock and most Metal stuff but sometimes i wish i could just push it a little more... Maybe I should buy a used 5150 for "Brutal Metal" and keep the Engl for Rock/Clean and older Metal Stuff :/
Really like the Artist so i dont know what to do ^^ Can still give it back but i really like it
The struggle is real...

Can you try the boost and or EQ at the shop you are testing the other amps? They are probably what you are looking for. The shop should be happy to sell you more stuff too so should let you play whatever you want!
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by Stillhouse
From his other threads I gleaned that his current amp isn't scratching his itch and was looking for pedal suggestions to get him there. The HM-3 does nothing but metally, aggressive distortion with a hefty bass boost. I figured it might be up his alley. You could be right about spending too much.

I think he just bought that amp, and if he bought it brand new, that's about $2000. If he isn't happy with it to the point of using a distortion pedal, then I think he bought the wrong amp. Personally, I think the Engl is plenty heavy, but he is kind of young and is probably still learning how to dial in an amp. That amp definitely has plenty of gain, and certainly more gain than most popular metal bands use. If he wants more low end, I think an EQ would be his best bet, or at the very least, the place that I would start.
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
Quote by metalmingee
Can you try the boost and or EQ at the shop you are testing the other amps? They are probably what you are looking for. The shop should be happy to sell you more stuff too so should let you play whatever you want!

The Problem ist, the shop is 2 hours away from me xD (with car) i´ve taken a Booster home with me (Xotic USA) and i liked it but everyone tells me that its only for clean and rock stuff... So maybe there is a better booster for Metal

Cant drive there again.. Been there 2 times and if you play for a while 10 people wait outside for you to finish...
Quote by slayer87lp
Hey Guys,
Id like to improve my Tube Head with Pedals. I want to have more Bass and a more aggressive Tone for Metalcore like Riffs.

I have an "Engl e651 Artist" and it has alot of Gain and its quite aggressive but i want to push it a litte bit more because the Gain sound isnt really that aggressive so id like to turn that down and get a pedal.

A lot of overdrives cut bass, actually. You would be surprised at how little bass is in the guitar tracks of metal, metalcore especially. The bass guitar carries the low frequencies mostly. The Maxon/TS-based pedals will cut bass but give you more gain.

As far as having bass and an overdrive pedal, check out the 805 Drive by Seymour Duncan. I have not tried it myself, but it does have a 3-band active EQ. It is TS-based. Also turn up the bass on your amp. Also do not scoop mids (boost them actually). You have to be careful though with bass and mids as you might end up muddying your tone.

And your speaker cabinet has a lot to say in bass production as well. Single speakers generally do not put out as much thump as a 4x12. 2x12s can be bit better in that regard.
Quote by Nolasludge
You can get an overdrive, there are a lot on the market, but the Tubescreamer by either Maxon or Ibanez is the industry standard. There are a variety of overdrive pedals, and YouTube has all kinds of videos for shootouts between different OD pedals. The tone control on the OD pedal will give you more low end. If you need even more low end, an EQ pedal would most definitely give you more than enough low end.
Most often with TS-based pedals (and really most overdrives) with a 3-knob layout, the tone control will just cut highs.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 5, 2016,
Maybe this will help you out, so you can kind of visualize what we are talking about when we talk about boosting an amp with an overdrive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5XpKa8Q54c
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
Last edited by Nolasludge at Jan 5, 2016,
It sounds like you want someone to tell you what to buy. That's not gonna happen. There are literally hundreds if not thousands of boosts, overdrives and distortions. Probably one hundred or more of which would serve your purpose. The responses you get are just gonna be based on that person's experience with a limited number of those available... Unless you can be WAY more specific about what you want.

The most obvious answer to what you are asking is a tube screamer, but even then there's tons of options.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by Nolasludge
I think he just bought that amp, and if he bought it brand new, that's about $2000. If he isn't happy with it to the point of using a distortion pedal, then I think he bought the wrong amp. Personally, I think the Engl is plenty heavy, but he is kind of young and is probably still learning how to dial in an amp. That amp definitely has plenty of gain, and certainly more gain than most popular metal bands use. If he wants more low end, I think an EQ would be his best bet, or at the very least, the place that I would start.

All correct ^^ The amp has really great Clean/Rock sound and I like the Metal Sound too.. It´s just that im really unsure what Metal Sound i really want! I liked the Engl better then Fireball and Powerball II... Because they didnt´t sound as Clear to me and somehow just very dirty and not so musically (not sure if I can use that word, German.. :P ). But now when I play with "Metal Settings" and I play Rock with the same Settings it just sounds like an awesome "Rock Sound" and im not quite sure if thats what i want ^^ Liked the Peavey 6505+ very much too but i need a good Clean Channel too and i really didnt like that one.. The Metal Sounds was great but I couldnt play something that dirty all day.
Quote by tubetime86
It sounds like you want someone to tell you what to buy. That's not gonna happen. There are literally hundreds if not thousands of boosts, overdrives and distortions. Probably one hundred or more of which would serve your purpose. The responses you get are just gonna be based on that person's experience with a limited number of those available... Unless you can be WAY more specific about what you want.

The most obvious answer to what you are asking is a tube screamer, but even then there's tons of options.

Yeah I understand that but i think it would be cool to hear who likes which OD and stuff.

Well its sucks that the next bigger Shop is like 2h away and I drove there 2 times in the last month xD (Yeah i wanted to play Effects but just wasnt possible )
Will Lane is absolutely right. The bands you are trying to emulate get a lot of their low end from the bass guitar. Additionally, they don't use as much gain as you think they do, either.

The best thing you could do for your tone is put an emphasis on technique. Nothing kills your tone more than sour notes and sloppy playing. Have you ever heard a band cover Master of Puppets, and even though they are playing the correct notes, their version isn't quite there? That's because James Hetfield down picks the whole thing, while most other people alternate pick it. This also holds true for power chords. Downpicking power chords is way heavier than uppicking them. I know there is a big debate on whether or not tone is in the hands, but in my experience, a great deal of it comes from the techniques that guitarists are using.

Edit: I'm not trying to say that you play sloppy, as I have no way of knowing, I'm just trying to cover all of the bases.
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
Last edited by Nolasludge at Jan 5, 2016,
Quote by Will Lane

As far as having bass and an overdrive pedal, check out the 805 Drive by Seymour Duncan. I have not tried it myself, but it does have a 3-band active EQ. It is TS-based. Also turn up the bass on your amp. Also do not scoop mids (boost them actually). You have to be careful though with bass and mids as you might end up muddying your tone.

Yeah ill try that thx for your tipps
Quote by Nolasludge

Edit: I'm not trying to say that you play sloppy, as I have no way of knowing, I'm just trying to cover all of the bases.

I know you´re not trying to say that ^^ Im practacing alot and ofc i Play Master of Puppets with Downstrokes
Quote by slayer87lp
Yeah I understand that but i think it would be cool to hear who likes which OD and stuff.

Well its sucks that the next bigger Shop is like 2h away and I drove there 2 times in the last month xD (Yeah i wanted to play Effects but just wasnt possible )

Ok, I'll go then. I think the Rat is perfect for what you want...

But I've only played it through clean Fender amps for lighter styles of rock and I've only played maybe ten other ODs to compare it to.

See how the first would be misleading without the second? The first is a simple answer to what you're asking, the second shows why my opinion really doesn't matter to you. Now ask yourself, how many people really do have the experience needed to give you a perfect answer?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by slayer87lp
Hey Guys,

Maxon would be fine, so would a tubescreamer clone of some kind or the original.
Look up the Zen Drive by Budda - this has a treble boost defeat switch which lets you keep your lows if you want to.

What about that booster that you bought already? That looked like it will cover your needs and it had dip switches inside to change the eq curve.
Quote by slayer87lp

unfortunately getting a ton of opinions doesn't really do you that much good. unless someone plays the exact style of music with the same gear your results could be totally different. seems to me what you need isn't more distortion but rather a more tightly focused distortion sound. to much distortion makes your chords and notes turn to mush. as mentioned numerous times you need an Overdrive. you mentioned a clean boost that you tried which will work to a degree but that isn't their primary function. i'd highly suggest a Tubescreamer style pedal. those live in the mid range which is where your guitars power is as well not in the bass. personally i use a Digitech Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive which sadly recently went out of production. they still are pretty easy to find though. this pedal has 2 overdrive modes which allow for more distortion if needed. make sure you are EQing our guitar for most balls. again your guitars balls are in the mids don't scoop them.
Let me see if I can explain this somewhat simply:

You've got two main areas that you can tweak with pedals -- before the preamp and after the preamp. On most higher-gain amps these days, the preamp IS the place where the tone shaping happens and that's where most high-gain amps get their individual character.

But, you can influence that character a little bit by what you FEED the preamp. Different pickups in your guitar can influence this. But overdrive pedals, when used as a "clean" boost often cut some of the bass going into your preamp and emphasize the mids. This is not a bad thing, and doesn't mean your tone won't have some bass in it. Too much bass from your guitar and/or pickups will be fed to the preamp -- and too much bass signal being later distorted sounds muddy and undefined. An overdrive pedal can clean that up and make your tone more clear, yet aggressive and punchy. A lot of people refer to that as "tightening" the tone.

Secondly, the amp's effects loop usually comes AFTER the preamp. What that means is that any pedals you introduce there will be applying an effect to your ALREADY DISTORTED tone. This can have a much greater impact on your tone than tweaks in front of the preamp, for better or worse. That's why I recommend an EQ pedal in the loop. You can get your tone tight, punchy, and clear, and then emphasize certain frequencies with the EQ without getting muddy. I use a pretty generous boost on my EQ pedal to the 125 hz range (low-mids/high bass, depending on how you look at it), and the tone is not muddy at all -- but it sounds huge and has a massive "thump" on palm mutes -- which it sounds like TS is missing in his tone.

TL/DR: OD pedals and pickup swaps can have an effect on your tone, but since they affect the signal BEFORE the preamp -- they are SUBTLE tweaks rather than major tone-changers. Buy a cheap OD pedal because almost any will do the job -- but once you get experience, you might find that a certain one has just the right flair that the others don't.

EQ pedals in the effects loop affect your tone just before it hits your power amp for amplification. You can get a lot more aggressive with your settings there and greatly influence how your overall tone sounds. But since it has so much more of an impact, you can easily overdo your settings if you're not careful.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
You know, this is getting silly. You've made about a dozen threads by now, all essentially asking the same thing and always receiving the same answers.
How many times did we tell you to get an OD by now? Like, I know there are a lot of different kinds of OD out there, you are old enough to do some research yourself by now and google stuff, right? We told you like five times to get a tubescreamer-type OD.

Okay, here are the two things you want. Either of these as the boost:
http://www.thomann.de/de/boss_sd1_super_overdrive.htm
http://www.thomann.de/de/maxon_od808.htm
The difference between them is their drive sounds a bit different (not relevant in your case, as you will turn it down anyway) and the SD-1 is a bit noisier, but of course also much cheaper. There are many more tubescreamer-style pedals out there, but these are two of the oldest, tried and true designs and work a charm for boosting. Pick whichever you like or are willing to pay for.
Either way, the pedal goes in front of them amp, turn the drive all the way down, volume/level all the way up and set the tone however you want. Middle position is good for a start.
This will make your distortion nice and tight. The pedal cuts bass, which prevents your tone from getting muddy and undefined with distortion.

Next, an EQ-pedal is worthwhile, too:
http://www.thomann.de/de/harley_benton_eq100.htm
It goes in the amp's effects loop, which sits after the circuitry that does all the distortion. You can use the EQ-pedal to boost lower frequencies for a darker, more "massive" tone.
Start with the EQ flat and boost or cut frequencies to get whatever tone you want.
I have this HB model myself and it's really good, regardless of the low price.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Jan 5, 2016,
Quote by TheQuailman
You know, this is getting silly. You've made about a dozen threads by now, all essentially asking the same thing and always receiving the same answers.
How many times did we tell you to get an OD by now? Like, I know there are a lot of different kinds of OD out there, you are old enough to do some research yourself by now and google stuff, right? We told you like five times to get a tubescreamer-type OD.

Its just the case that im not satisfied with my metal tone and wanted to know if someone comes up with a smart solution to improve the Engl but due to the fact that im constantly changing my mind on that Amp I realized that its just not the right thing. Neither were the Peavey 5150, Fireball, Powerball II, Mesa, EVH 5150III etc. So im giving it back, play for 1 more year on my shitty Roland Cube and then I´m hopefully at a point where I can decide what i really want because at the moment it seems like I cant.
man, I have very specific tastes in my high gain sound and I know that none of the amps that you have tried would make me happy in the long run.
That being said I know that I could dial in a sound that I would like on any of those amps as well.
I'm almost entirely convinced something else is wrong in your signal chain.
Either your guitar not right for the sound you are going for or you are dialing something in wrong on the amp, or something is wrong with the cab you are using.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror

I'm almost entirely convinced something else is wrong in your signal chain.
Either your guitar not right for the sound you are going for or you are dialing something in wrong on the amp, or something is wrong with the cab you are using.

Na, I got a good guitar (Ibanez with EMGs and its sounds great to me) and went to the shop and played all these amps (without Effect, different cabs). I liked Peavey and Artist best and I liked the others too but non of them totally blow me away (apart from Diezel Herbert but its expensive and loud for at home...)
Quote by slayer87lp
Its just the case that im not satisfied with my metal tone and wanted to know if someone comes up with a smart solution to improve the Engl but due to the fact that im constantly changing my mind on that Amp I realized that its just not the right thing. Neither were the Peavey 5150, Fireball, Powerball II, Mesa, EVH 5150III etc. So im giving it back, play for 1 more year on my shitty Roland Cube and then I´m hopefully at a point where I can decide what i really want because at the moment it seems like I cant.

Man, out of any of those, if you can't get a satisfactory metal tone maybe you're right -- you need to step away and figure out exactly what you need for a while. I could be satisfied with any of those, though I would still have preferences.

Are you sure you're not expecting "album tone" out of a raw amp with no other instruments? They are quite different. I mean, you should be happy with your raw amp tone, but don't expect it to sound the same as your favorite recordings which have been mixed with other instruments and even more importantly, processed to death in the studio.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM
Man, out of any of those, if you can't get a satisfactory metal tone maybe you're right -- you need to step away and figure out exactly what you need for a while. I could be satisfied with any of those, though I would still have preferences.

Are you sure you're not expecting "album tone" out of a raw amp with no other instruments? They are quite different. I mean, you should be happy with your raw amp tone, but don't expect it to sound the same as your favorite recordings which have been mixed with other instruments and even more importantly, processed to death in the studio.

Well I guess that I really expect alot, but I know that it´s not gonna sound like a Studio Track. Anyway when i read people writing like "I love my amp" or that stuff id like to be able to say something like that too. The Engl I have is really good but if I consider every day whether the decision to buy it was right or wrong, I guess it must be wrong.

When I play the Engl besides my Roland Cube 40xl combo the Engl sounds at least 10 times better (also for metal and I played Metal on the Cube for years and it was ok) but I just doesn´t feel like "my Amp". I can´t explain what I miss in it´s sound but that is because I really don´t know what i miss!!!

Im definetly sending it back and i´m only taking one more amp home if i´m absolutely sure that it´s the right one!

Thx alot!
Quote by KailM

gotta agree here. if you can't get a good metal tone out of any of those amps then the problem isn't likely the amps. you mentioned you wanted an agressive amp but really when it comes down to it it's your playing that will sound agressive not so much the amp. i can get an agressive metal sound out of a Peavey valveking and a Strat with single coil pickups. . what tones exactly are you trying to get? give us an idea of what you want.
Quote by monwobobbo
what tones exactly are you trying to get? give us an idea of what you want.

Guys really I get a good Metal Tone it just doesn´t sound like my Tone that i want to play for years!

I´m not 100% sure what I want but ill try by showing you what i play and like to hear

One example is this Metal Cover https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNENVZFHutQ
I listen to stuff from this guy alot and he sounds awesome to me (Intro not so much ^^) . (And I know he has a Kemper but not sure if he´s using it)

It should DEFINETLY sound powerfull when you´re hammering alot on low E String (Maybe dropped) I really enjoy playing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEEasR7hVhA (Devil in I by Slipknot) and really anything else by Slipknot and im playing alot for myself so it should have some Bottom End because I enjoy that quite a bit (not exaggerated)

I also like Meshuggah I play Bleed almost every Day to warm up and stuff (but I actually play nothing else from them but maybe some time later) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc98u-eGzlc

I really enjoy Lamb of God https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rM0TnS-t_xE
I like this Song alot and I think this Song sucks if your amp sounds fuzzy because of that fast switching between deep and high stuff or idk ^^

I watch alot of Videos from Jared Dines and I loved this vid (ofc also because of the great playing but I think they both have an awesome sound) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6YvsFtDpkg

I sometimes like to play a bit of Metalcore something like Parkway drive (Sleepwalker) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMHEc8SWUdM I actually really really like this sound

I also play Classic Stuff. I like to play Holy Wars by Megadeath, Stuff from Metallica , Slayer and Pantera but I guess I dont really want to sound like any of them. More like the other Stuff!

I also love Tool but no urgent reason to sound like them either.

I don´t have a Baritone or Seven String if u wonder and I like to stay at Dropped D but a few times i go to B

Yes I know that their sounds are probably not combinable but lets see with what you come up with!

And yeah there is alot of Studio Magic going on but I cant help it ^^
Last edited by slayer87lp at Jan 6, 2016,
Quote by slayer87lp
And yeah there is alot of Studio Magic going on but I cant help it ^^

What you might not understand that it's not just a lot of studio magic, it's like 90% studio magic. You will never sound like that on your own, definitely not with the help of a simple pedal.

The reason those tracks sound so good is because there are often two guitars and a bass co-operating, with a lot of post processing going on. Sometimes it's even four guitar tracks and a couple of bass tracks. Most of the tones you gave as examples would probably sound like crap outside of the mix, because they aren't supposed to work on their own without a bass and a second guitar.

I agree with the above, you should probably take a step back and re-evaluate what you really want.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by Kevätuhri

I agree with the above, you should probably take a step back and re-evaluate what you really want.

Thats what i´m gonna do as it looks Well what if I like their live Sound too?
At least not so much Studio music (still second guitar and stuff i know ^^)
Last edited by slayer87lp at Jan 6, 2016,
Quote by Kevätuhri
What you might not understand that it's not just a lot of studio magic, it's like 90% studio magic. You will never sound like that on your own, definitely not with the help of a simple pedal.

The reason those tracks sound so good is because there are often two guitars and a bass co-operating, with a lot of post processing going on. Sometimes it's even four guitar tracks and a couple of bass tracks. Most of the tones you gave as examples would probably sound like crap outside of the mix, because they aren't supposed to work on their own without a bass and a second guitar.

Yea- what this guy said. You are being ultra finnicky about your guitar amp, in my opinion. I started learning how to produce out of the exact same dissatisfaction that you are experiencing. No guitar amp ever sounded good enough to me and even jamming with friends kinda sounded shitty. Then i realized that its not the sound of guitar that i like- its the sound of some kick-ass, well glued together production that really sounds good. Its insane how much production (studio magic) goes into an every day track, and you wouldnt think twice about it
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Quote by slayer87lp
Thats what i´m gonna do as it looks Well what if I like their live Sound too?
At least not so much Studio music (still second guitar and stuff i know ^^)

what tuning(s) are you playing in. some of that stuff you posted is downtuned for sure. as for studio magic well it's not all magic but it is made to sound as good as possible. one thing i've learned from recording is that distortion behaves differently when recorded. you end up using far less than what you might think bt when you play back the recording you just made it sounds more distorted but there is still plenty of note clarity when done right. of course when you hear a bands tunes you try to duplicate teh guitar sound you hear instead of what actually was used to get the recording to sound like that. my tune Valley Of Gwangi (link in profile) was recorded with a strat with single coils but still sounds very heavy. way less distortion was used than what you end up hearing and of course the bass is in there to which adds to the sound.
Quote by monwobobbo
what tuning(s) are you playing in.

I play some Slipknot stuff just in dropped D because im too lazy do downtune all the time but yeah sometimes dropped C or B
Quote by Kevätuhri

And more besides.

I remember one guitarist who said that part of the reason for his band's sound was that on most of the studio tracks, one guitar mirroring the lead would be tuned something like a quarter cent off being in tune with the primary guitar when recording.

Just enough off to create a little magic, but so subtle that most people wouldn't be able to figure out what was going on.

To do that on your own would require a specially tuned 12-string.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I am also with kalim and monowobbo on this one, i think that you must be doing something wrong.

What is your gain at? i have all sorts of amps, and RARELY do i need more than 50% of the available gain for metal on anything (also provided they are boosted with a TS).

What are your mids at? scooping your mids will sound thin, brittle and flat out nasty.

Also i am not sure that more bass is the answer, that will also get your drowned out of a band.

One more question is that what speakers do you have and where do you sit relative to the speakers? that is a big thing.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Try and put a Rat pro co in there and see how it suites you. our bass player does this.
Page 1 of 2