I think I'd like to set up one or more of my guitars in an alternative tuning. What are some good online resources to explain alternative tunings? I'd like to try to learn "Red Poney" by Fahey (what tuning was that, please?).
Actually, I dont know any online source for tuning alt-tune. But, I always use 'daTuner' app on my Tab for tuning alt-tune. You can find and dnload these app on the Android's apps store. Hope it will help you.
Red Pony is Dm, DADFAD, there's a Fahey Tunings page as well as a tab page on his site, but honestly it was easy enough to work out myself after a quick glance
Also, on the John Fahey site I think it's listed as Wine and Roses, not The Red Pony. I forgot to mention earlier
Quote by teleobrien
Also, on the John Fahey site I think it's listed as Wine and Roses, not The Red Pony. I forgot to mention earlier

Thanks. Yeah, noticed the title issues on that tune. You seen the video on youtube of Fahey playing it on that public access show? I think it's called "Red Pony - 1969". I've seen it listed as "Wine and Roses" elsewhere.

You Fahey fans would enjoy a show on Amazon Prime. It's called "In Search of Blind Joe Death: The Saga of John Fahey". What an odd duck Fahey was.
Last edited by TobusRex at Jan 5, 2016,
I've only ever seen the DVD, I didn't even realize they had it on instant. And despite spending most of my time trying to learn his music, I don't watch a whole lot of videos of him. If I want to see him live I watch the Live In Hamburg show, which is my absolute favorite concert I have ever seen
Quote by teleobrien
I've only ever seen the DVD, I didn't even realize they had it on instant. And despite spending most of my time trying to learn his music, I don't watch a whole lot of videos of him. If I want to see him live I watch the Live In Hamburg show, which is my absolute favorite concert I have ever seen

That was a great show, his best for playing. What's your favorite? I think I like "hawaiian 2 step" the most, but it's all great. I like the 1981 concert alot as well but mostly for the humor value. I like when Fahey starts bitching about seeing a bar across the street that had some "really nice burgundy" and being "so close, and yet so far away". He goes into some discussion of religious philosophy, including the hilarious line "If you are going to be gnostic, might as well be full gnostic", or something to that effect.

I bet Fahey was a hoot to know in real life. Probably like a drunken uncle who could play guitar very, very well
Last edited by TobusRex at Jan 6, 2016,
I love playing Hawaiian Two Step, but On The Sunny Side Of The Ocean is probably my favorite, even with all the feedback problems. I also found out today he retitled Hawaiian Two Step as Spanish Two Step, adding it to the list of songs he presents as different bur aren't lmao. With all those drugs I was surprised the dude even remembered his name, so I guess forgetting you've already titled and released a song isn't too bad
Ive played alt tunings now for years. Started out with DADGAD but settled with open C tuning fingerstyle. CGCGCE (major) or CGCGD# (minor) Why?
a. I find many covers can be done in this tuning easily (fingerstyle esp.) The bass lines supporting pop songs can often be done in tandem with a melody for a cool solo piece
b. Depth of range between low C and high E make the guitar much more dynamic
c. First finger Barreing on acoustic is easier this way and opens up fret board like an electric! I gave up elettric forever as a result years ago.
d. Harmonics can sound as good as in DADGAD
d. Many top US/Cancadian artists on Candyrat website use C or variation of C tuning, not to mention their heroes from the past like Leo Kotke

One ("under-produced") example is a cover I did of Queens of Stone age No One knows
if I may eb so bold to plug it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IloQsT6_C5Y