Hey everyone, I've been working on a strat for quite some time. Finally decided to wire it up two nights ago (as I have the bridge pickup in the mail), didn't test it the night I worked on it, as it was 4am by the time I finished. I tested it yesterday, only to find out I had wired the tone pot backwards (Blue and black wires reversed - scroll down for schematic),so I swapped them around. Now, the tone pot functions strangely:
0-7 = very very low output
7-10 = normal tone control crammed into that little space

When the tone pot was wired backwards, despite the fact that it was reversed, it was functioning normally.

In the schematic, you'll see two pickups. The one on the left is the neck pickup. the one next to it is a dummy coil placed in the middle position, hence the removed magnets and pole pieces. All pots are 250k.

Yes, that's a 3 way toggle in a strat. I'd have used a tele switch, but the original switch had less blade travel distance, and screws spread further apart compared to a standard blade switch. I can't just stick a new pickguard on there either- it's a different size. My solution was to stick the 3 way toggle where the blade would be, and a dpdt switch in each screw hole (You can click on "No name Strat" in my signature to see what that looks like). Perhaps I'll eventually cut a new pickguard for it, but not anytime soon.
Last edited by guitar42697 at Jan 5, 2016,
if i was to guess from this diagram the orange wire is the issue. 2 volume and 1 tone this is how it's done regardless of pickup type. This would even work with piezo transducers (They are like acoustic pickups)

It's going to be 1 volume two tone though. 1 tone per pickup, hence the pickup being wired to the tone before the switch

The middle pickup, like I said, is acting as a dummy coil, bridge pickup isn't in the schematic as it's still in the mail. That'll be added later on. Please, read the whole post next time
Last edited by guitar42697 at Jan 5, 2016,
Looks to me like your black wire and your blue wire should be joined together.
As it is in the diagram you've basically only got the dummy coil working and the tone control is working like a volume.
If you join the blue and black wires to the same lug on the tone control it should work
oh , in that case this shall do, i put the 2 volume , 1 tone wiring up as i only saw one capacitor.

so really the capacitors filter out the pickups before they hit the switch, it's pretty clever. Personally I use a passive 2 band EQ like a bass cut and a treble cut (standard tone control) but this is what you're after.
oh , in that case this shall do, i put the 2 volume , 1 tone wiring up as i only saw one capacitor.

so really the capacitors filter out the pickups before they hit the switch, it's pretty clever. Personally I use a passive 2 band EQ like a bass cut and a treble cut (standard tone control) but this is what you're after.

Well, the bridge pickup came, followed the diagram loosely, and it all worked out. Thanks!