Page 1 of 2
I saw this online, and realized it was at a Guitar Center just a few miles from my house. I had been looking for one for a while. And when I saw the price- a touch over $550- I at least had to go look.

So on Dec. 30, 2015, I went out and did just that. The condition assessment ("Excellent") was dead on- there were only a couple of dings on it, like someone had dropped a heavy pen or screwdriver on out from a height of a few centimeters. I took it to the quietest space in GC to listen for fret buzz. ZERO. It sang out when strummed.

I bought it without even plugging it in.

So here is my new Reverend Sensei RA in gloss purpleburst, featuring RailHammer Chisel humbuckers in both positions. Chisels are the second hottest humbuckers in RailHammer's line. But even as high output as they are, Reverend's Bass Control knob can help shape the guitar's tone to mimic those of a hot singlecoil/vintage P90.

RailHammers are designed with fat pole pieces under the lighter strings and blades under the thicker ones, with the goal of preserving the best tones for each type.

So far, I'd say they do that. I've only played it in E Standard tuning, but I think when I get this baby tuned to NST (CGDAEG) as I intend, they'll continue to deliver.

The neck is the same as all MiK Reverends- a nice medium oval. So if you've ever played a Reverend, you know how nice that is. Despite the SG-like shape, I don't notice any neck diving, though that may change after the honeymoon.

Now, the pix:

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
A friend of mine has one, they're very nice guitars. Happy NGD!
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
I like the pruple burst more than I should

HNGD
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
That's beautiful yo. Purple is a super underrated color for guitars, and that shape is cool too. Somewhere between an SG and an LP. Noice. Also NST is a super underrated tuning, just saying. I've got one of my guitars (which is also purple) tuned to NST two steps down (G#D#A#FCD#) and it rules.
for 2016, get a new camera.

great looking guit though, reminds me of a yamaha sg.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020

Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Great find. I actually just saw where GC had a daredevil for like $350. It seems that they have some Reverends for decent prices. Congrats, I actually bought a Railhammer to go in an old SG, which I got rid of, now I am waiting to find a home for it.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Daaamn I wanted one of these in silverburst but got my RD instead. Nice find! HNGD!
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by gregs1020

iPad2 in a fairly dark room.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

you're in texas, take the pig outside.

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Tasty! I don't tend to get on well with Reverend's designs but I really couldn't justify more than an eye roll at this one
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by gregs1020
you're in texas, take the pig outside.

I shot those pix at night.

...because I'm a vampire.

Nice!

Where's the upper strap button located? On the back or on the upper horn?
Quote by FrauVfromPoB
That's beautiful yo. Purple is a super underrated color for guitars, and that shape is cool too. Somewhere between an SG and an LP. Noice. Also NST is a super underrated tuning, just saying. I've got one of my guitars (which is also purple) tuned to NST two steps down (G#D#A#FCD#) and it rules.

Even tuned down you can't get that top string to a G?
NST tuning was intended to be all fifths, and the only reason Fripp couldn't tune the high string to a B was down to string technology not being advanced enough to allow it. Seems to me you might be able to reach a G with current strings.

I don't do a lot of NST, but one advantage of the Variax guitars is that it's simple to tune NST as originally intended, without stressing over string tensions.
Last edited by dspellman at Jan 6, 2016,
Quote by dspellman
Nice!

Where's the upper strap button located? On the back or on the upper horn?

Inside curve of the upper horn.

nice . only been able to try a very few reverends but i did like the ones i did.
Nice guitar. Have you weighed it? I’m thinking about getting a Sensei if the weight is comparable to an SG (my SGs are between 6.25 and 6.75 pounds).
Haven't weighed it. I don't weigh any of my guitars, though. Still, Reverends (of all kinds) don't weigh a ton because they're made with korina.

The Sensei, like the Daredevil before it, is obviously inspired by the SG and other classic double cut guitars. Both are more like the non-SG double cuts in that they're fairly thick in the body, albeit with some contouring on the belly side. The aforementioned korina keeps that body under 8lbs- nowhere near SG territory, but lighter than most LPs.

Mine is lighter than my Fernandes Ravelles, but it isn't a flyweight. I'd guess between 7.2-7.6lbs. So, still heavier than a SG.

If I wasn't so set in having a Yamaha guitar, Reverend would be right up my alley!

HNGD!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
If I wasn't so set in having a Yamaha guitar, Reverend would be right up my alley!!

One of those great SBGs?

Well, I ruined my camera with a battery leak, so...probably not.

Amp? Almost definitely. It is my major gear goal. Orange, Supro, Fender and Mesa models are all looking like strong contenders.

I just have a few used guitars ahead of it in the queue. There are 3-4 I've found used and in good shape under $500 that I have NEVER seen in the American used market, and never new for under $800+. (3 of them are discontinued Fret-Kings.)

Well, those and some pedals.

...apparently, I have me a mental illness.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 6, 2016,
trashed wantz one.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by dannyalcatraz

...apparently, I have me a mental illness.

As far as I'm concerned, never an issue.

and never a doubt.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Inside curve of the upper horn.

About half an inch in from the point?
That should help any neck heaviness, though...
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I shot those pix at night.

By the light of his sparkling personality.
Quote by dspellman
About half an inch in from the point?
That should help any neck heaviness, though...

Close enough to that as to make no difference, yeah.

Quote by trashedlostfdup
trashed wantz one.

Thanks- I take that as high praise.

...might buy another one myself.

And, while true, if I get another Sensei, I'm more likely to get one of the RT models before another RA. Those have the FillerTron-inspired RevTron pickups. Completely different tone palate...more twang 'n' swang.

Kinda like a Gretsch Silver Jet got drunk and screwed a SG in the back of a hot rod.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 6, 2016,
I want all of the guitars, even some of the drums and a mandolin, but my budget does not leave much room for toys.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Thanks- I take that as high praise.

...might buy another one myself.

And, while true, if I get another Sensei, I'm more likely to get one of the RT models before another RA. Those have the FillerTron-inspired RevTron pickups. Completely different tone palate...more twang 'n' swang.

Kinda like a Gretsch Silver Jet got drunk and screwed a SG in the back of a hot rod.

yes indeed my fine sir.

i think that is my favorite of your guitars (that you have posted on your profile anyway), second is the fretking.

with both of us in the mid twenties as far as guitar count goes, i don't think we even have one guitar from the same brand... lol. i am at 7 gibsons. 7 fenders. 4 ibanez'. 1 washburn. 2 peaveys. 1 custom. and thats all i can think of atm. i know i have a few more.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
We intersect at Washburn- I have a fretless acoustic-electric bass.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
We intersect at Washburn- I have a fretless acoustic-electric bass.

haha. i used to own quite a few washburns, now the only one i have left is a dime model. i sold my 333 a few months ago, and i just have the cheaper dime sig i bought back in '04, before he switched to dean and then died, its for sale ATM.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I have found one little flaw that affects function. There is a burr or gap of some kind on the 3rd fret's edge, so that if I pull the high E string off, it can catch. And it will NOT come out until you grab the string and pull it out.

Whatever the flaw is, it is so tiny I can't actually see what it is catching on. Hell, I can't even feel it. But it's no biggie, since I want to get it set up for NST professionally...the tech will figure it out.

Nice pickup! you and your reverends lol.

what brand of potato did you use to take the photographs?
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
iTater2.

Chisels are the second highest output humbuckers in the RailHammer line. Only the Anvil (bridge only) is hotter.

There's a good chime to the high end. You won't mistake it for a FillerTron or the like, so not so good for rockabilly, and not right for pure jazz, but they will still be good enough for mainstream pop, blues, rock 'n' roll and the like. The low end is nice and defined. I haven't found a setting where I actually get them descending into flabby mud. I mean, I probably could if I worked at it.

While they are capable of quite the growl, they also clean up nicely. Last night, I was trying some Latin style progressions, rolled off the volume $ bass a bit and voilà- I had something pretty twangy and crisp. And the roar was really only a volume swell away...

are those 2 tone knobs or is one the reverend bass roll off knob?
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
The knobs are Volume, Tone & Bass Contour. But, since the Bass Contour kinda works like Tone, just lower...

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 8, 2016,
Page 1 of 2