Well, best is subjective, but for that price and willingness to go used you could look into a Marshall DSL40, a Fender Blues Junior or maybe even a Vox AC15. They might be a bit pricey, but you might find some good used deals.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Blues Jr, HRD, Super Champ. All have great Fender tone and take pedals very well.

Clapton BB, Jimi, and SRV are my go to influences and I have gigged the SC and HRD to good effect.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S98RccQUvKc
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jan 6, 2016,
Good price, Good AMP
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by silly6-string
Upstate ny

Big place when it's -20F. Time to go test some amps. Every amp listed here will deliver the goods within your budget.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jan 6, 2016,
Quote by silly6-string
Style of Clapton, King, Hendrix. Laying a strat thru. Willing to go used.

SILLY IS BACK!!!!

what's up bro? how's life?

do you still have the egnater?
Thanks guys. Tying to rebuild my equipment. Wow since you talked me to me last. Been in two bands. Now
I solo at open mics. Lol. Long time.
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
I don't remember you since I'm new here

But you have a strat so you're cool.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Blues Juniors can be found for ~$250 used and would work well for open mic stuff. I think they sound better than the Hot Rod Deluxes and Devilles, but if you need to play with a full band the higher wattage of those HRDs is pretty useful. Blues Junior just barely cuts it with a drummer and won't stay very clean doing it. Damn does it sound good cranked though.

How many pages we gonna go for on this one? (Or how many threads? )
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Lmao! I was a newb then. I apologize I had a devill that was way to loud 60w is really loud. The cleans was amazin but it od was God aweful. No band yet just open mics for now which I play acoustic. My Taylor and I'm plugged into a pa. All I have is my Taylor 316ce. So I have to buy a new strat and amp.
I would go with Blues jr. For practice untill a formative band was formed. Then I'd get a new one.
Before I'd admit I was anoying lol.
I think blues jr is a good choice. Didn't know if there was a better quality one since last time I bought a amp.

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
Quote by Cajundaddy
Big place when it's -20F. Time to go test some amps. Every amp listed here will deliver the goods within your budget.

Yup. Very true.

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
Quote by tubetime86
Blues Juniors can be found for ~$250 used and would work well for open mic stuff. I think they sound better than the Hot Rod Deluxes and Devilles, but if you need to play with a full band the higher wattage of those HRDs is pretty useful. Blues Junior just barely cuts it with a drummer and won't stay very clean doing it. Damn does it sound good cranked though.

How many pages we gonna go for on this one? (Or how many threads? )

http://www.guitarcenter.com/search?Ns=r&Ntt=Blues+jr

What's the diff between nos and reg? This that the brand of tubes? Is it worth the xtra $$

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
Quote by silly6-string
http://www.guitarcenter.com/search?Ns=r&Ntt=Blues+jr

What's the diff between nos and reg? This that the brand of tubes? Is it worth the xtra $$

NOS has tweed covering and a Jensen speaker. I'm sure the speaker is better than the stock one, but in my mind I'd rather choose my own speaker.

I have a BJr and put JJ tubes and a Cannabis Rex speaker in and it sounds great. Way, way, way better OD than a HRD.

Here's a great breakdown of which speakers may fit you best, including the stock one and the Jensen that comes in the NOS model: http://billmaudio.com/wp/?page_id=295
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Jan 6, 2016,
I seem to remember ya, was away for a while myself. Good to see you back.

Nobody has mentioned the Peavey Classic amps, I'm not a huge fan of the Classic 30 unless you want to take the time and effort to do a bit of modding, too much treble and not enough bass. The Classic 50 is hard to beat, but might not be easy to find in your budget range. Peavey has made some other good tube amps too, might be worth your while to check out some pawn shops.

I find almost any tube amp will do the trick, I don't care much whose name plate is on it, I can get a good sound out of a tube amp. I'm into classic rock and blues too, band I'm in is doing a lot of Eagles, America and Doobie Brothers to name a few. I'm running a 1973 Fender Super Reverb, the amp you really want, but you won't find it for under $1200 or so...I got lucky, got mine for 3 hours working on a computer for a relative, and about $75 in repairs.

If you're looking at joining a band and getting onstage, a blues jr should do the trick if you mic it into the PA and bring a little back into the monitors, I played one for the first time at a local music store a few days ago, not a bad amp at all. I'm not a fan of the master volume amps, I liked the Super Champ pretty well too.

You're probably going to want something in the 30 watt range, 50 at most, I wouldn't worry too much about brands, I can get a good sound out of anything with tubes. Clapton has played Marshall, Fender and Music Man amps, I've seen loads of pros using every brand you can think of. Even a Mesa Triple Rec or Peavey 05150 will get you there if you know how to tweak the tone knobs and keep the gain down...

Haunt the pawn shops for a while, and look around. See what turns up, you never know, and don't grab the first one you see. Every time I do that something I like better shows up 2 weeks later...If you get really lucky and find an old Traynor sitting around for a deal I'm going to cry...Some of the Randall tube rigs are nice too. But I'd look into some of the Peavey tube amps, most of their stuff is built to hold up to roadies, and they've made some very under rated amps over the years.

Also check out local sale papers. ours is called the Thrifty Nickel, all want ads. Some decent deals turn up now and then. I also found a Fender Pro Jr at a yard sale for $30 not long ago. Not bad, but too thin sounding for me after 15 years in front of a Super Reverb, not near enough low end. I have to plug in my 10 band EQ to get decent lows onstage but 15 watts is plenty for what we do. I use it in a dual amp rig with the Super, last weekend the big amp volume was at about 4, great clean sound, even the Pro Jr didn't start to get dirty it was still at fairly low volume. I wouldn't use it as a main amp though...I'd like to be able to afford to put a 12" speaker in the thing and see how it does...the single 10" just doesn't cut it. The Blues Jr has full tone controls and a 12", but I wasn't able to crank it to stage volume to see how it sounds, both guys at the store were almost always on the phone, can't crank it and annoy them...I think it might work for a stage amp. If we get loud, it can be miked into the PA and sent back into the monitors, did that with the Super Reverb last weekend, we used the club PA and the owner wanted it miked. Worked great even though onstage volume level was fairly low and I could have run straight without the mic with no problems. The Blues jr would have worked really well in the same situation. If it sounds decent at stage volume...don't know yet...but I'm picky, I have to have good low end response, I'm spoiled all to hell by the Super Reverb and 15 years of a Peavey MX...I like that 10 foot bulldog behind me when I hit a low A...and that's what the Pro Jr won't deliver...Blues Jr might, I'd have to play it a bit more and see, worth a try though from what I heard so far.

Look around, there are plenty options out there for the kind of sound you want.

Also, I just told someone else, you can save up a few more bucks if you never use a $1 bill at a store, put all of those up and save them. It adds up faster than you may think, and it's easier to live without them than you may believe. I kept mine in a coffee can, when we were getting good remodeling jobs, I was saving up $100 in 2 months or so without ever missing the money. It works, and you may be able to just wait a little and have a better amount for an amp. While looking around...

Almost f0orgot, keep an eye open for music stores that take in consignments. You never know what will show up...and pawn shops will do lay away but you'll have to pay full price, most won't cut you a deal on a lay away they way they will on a cash sale.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Last edited by Paleo Pete at Jan 6, 2016,
I'd add a few to look for used:
Laney LC15 - got this little 15 watter, sounds amazing, the best most soulful reverb I've heard in a long time. I think they have bigger ones in this series if you need more power.
Marshall Class5 combo - Eric Clapton Bluesbreaker knockoff. I have this one as well. Sounds great but it needs to be cranked. 5 watts is very loud on this puppy.
Blues Jr - another classic
Traynor YCV series - they have 20 and 40 options (I think) - another great sounding soulful reverb, great amp for clean to hairy crunch blues tones.
Carvin has their tweed series which is an AC30 knockoff, might be worth looking into.
Epi Valve Jr - dirt cheap but pretty good for blues
Crate Palomino series - dirt cheap AC30 knockoff, sounds very good judging from the one my buddy got.
Last but not least, Kustom Defender - another cheap but good sounding tube amp option.
Thanks. Everything everyone has suggested was spot on. I think I'll go for the Blues jr. For now. I don't need a huge amp even in the last band I was in I didn't need a half stack. Every show was mic'd.
What I need now is a good practice amp that is practice worthy which I think the blues jr will do. I have to go play one to be certain. I need a new strat. May be a new Martin acoustic. May be lol only thing I don't like about martins that you have to spend a grand to get a case. Lol
I don't think a blues sound is too difficult to accomplish. Also want to put some nice od pedals. When I wanna rock. May be a boss od pedal. I wanna keep it very simple.

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
Last edited by silly6-string at Jan 7, 2016,
Quote by silly6-string
Thanks. Everything everyone has suggested was spot on. I think I'll go for the Blues jr. For now. I don't need a huge amp even in the last band I was in I didn't need a half stack. Every show was mic'd.
What I need now is a good practice amp that is practice worthy which I think the blues jr will do. I have to go play one to be certain. I need a new strat. May be a new Martin acoustic. May be lol only thing I don't like about martins that you have to spend a grand to get a case. Lol
I don't think a blues sound is too difficult to accomplish. Also want to put some nice od pedals. When I wanna rock. May be a boss od pedal. I wanna keep it very simple.

With the Blues Junior I'd recommend a light overdrive pedal for bluesy crunch (which the amp can do on its own when cranked, but not quietly) and a more full-on distortion for heavy stuff. With just those two pedals the BJr covers a ton of ground.

I haven't tried a ton of dirt pedals with the BJr, but I really like my Dist+ clone for light OD and my Proco Rat for the heavier stuff.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Thanks. I Luke crunchy of the boss blues driver. I would be playing a strat they it. Now just to go out and check all this stuff out. Do you think the nos jr are better than reg models? Do you recommend changing speakers or keeping the one in it?

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
The NOS model has tweed covering and a different speaker. If you like how it sounds with the Jensen then go for the NOS. Aside from the speaker the amps are identical.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by silly6-string
Thanks. I Luke crunchy of the boss blues driver. I would be playing a strat they it. Now just to go out and check all this stuff out. Do you think the nos jr are better than reg models? Do you recommend changing speakers or keeping the one in it?

You are returning to old habits. I addressed both questions quite clearly a few posts above... I even gave a link to a breakdown of how a dozen or so speakers (including stock and the one in a NOS) sound in a Blues Junior.

This is 2016, sillysixstring can be literate and sensible in this new era!
Quote by tubetime86
NOS has tweed covering and a Jensen speaker. I'm sure the speaker is better than the stock one, but in my mind I'd rather choose my own speaker.

I have a BJr and put JJ tubes and a Cannabis Rex speaker in and it sounds great. Way, way, way better OD than a HRD.

Here's a great breakdown of which speakers may fit you best, including the stock one and the Jensen that comes in the NOS model: http://billmaudio.com/wp/?page_id=295
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Jan 7, 2016,
Yup I forgot actually. It is 2016 your right. I app the positive responses from everyone. Thank you.

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
Quote by Tony Done
I gigged with a Peavey Classic 30 for a long time. A good workhorse blues style amp. Can you get a used one for $400?

Sometimes. I just passed on a Classic 50 for $200...but I'm still considering the Peavey Butcher and matching 4x12 for $100. (No tubes in it...)
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Jan 7, 2016,
Quote by Arby911
Sometimes. I just passed on a Classic 50 for $200...but I'm still considering the Peavey Butcher and matching 4x12 for $100. (No tubes in it...)

I think the Butcher has tubes in it, at least the one in my garage that is waiting for repair does.
so since it's just open mic nights and practice at home, i'd suggest a traynor ycv20, blues jr, classic 30, or YCV40. the YCV50 has a usable master volume, i can play mine at whisper volumes without an issue, and it's a 1x12 combo only slightly bigger than a blues jr.

the other thing i like about the YCV50 is the fender(y) clean channel and a marshall OD channel that will do early VH without an issue. mine was $275 used but i think i really scored.
Quote by diabolical
I think the Butcher has tubes in it, at least the one in my garage that is waiting for repair does.

This particular one comes with no tubes, although yes, it's a tube amp.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
This particular one comes with no tubes, although yes, it's a tube amp.

It's a tube amp, but I don't think it has tubes. However, for a tube amp with no tubes, it is very good. Don't plug tubes into it; just use it as doorstop if it works.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
It's a tube amp, but I don't think it has tubes. However, for a tube amp with no tubes, it is very good. Don't plug tubes into it; just use it as doorstop if it works.

Charles Darwin
Ty for the responce sim edging towards the jr. Then I noticed that make a 40watt one. For a hundred or so more. 40 would be max I'd want.
I also see modding stuff for the amps.
Can you mod 40watt ones?
If you mod the jr what is the advantage?

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
I think the class 5 sounds the best. I see they make a dsl is that the new tube small watt amps like the class 5? Or a whole new sound?

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
Whoa, this thread is going all sillysixstring. Who would have guessed.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Hi out there! I just purchased a 98 USA Blues JR and decided to try the mod kit and see what happens. First I replaced the speaker with a Tone Tubby 40/40. Put in 12ax7 JJ tubes for pre-amp and EL-84 Groove Tubes Gold High range for power tubes. I replaced the stock reverb with a MOD spring reverb unit. Then purchased a Fromel Mod kit , changing some resistors and caps.Also bought a new heavy duty transformer .Wow what a difference! I know it was a lot of changing but I didn't spend a lot of money, Tubes and Mod kit was new, bought speaker used and saved a lot there, reverb unit was $18 , Transformer was $60. Amp sounds really sweet now with a lot of tone and control of your tone, Bass is solid, not flabby anymore and the Tone Tubby speaker can handle all the tone that the amp now has no problem. It was just an experiment,never going that far modding an amp. The most I usually do is change out speakers and tubes. Just want to let people know that the mods work well and definitely give your amp more tone control and really sweeten up your sound!!
if you want hendrix or srv seems like a marshall would be the way to go.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A