Hoi,

Of late I've been figuring out some songs by Joe Satriani. However, in many songs by JS there is heavy use of whammy bar. A good example is Satch Boogie. Somewhere in the beginning JS uses a whammy bar (the first time).

My question is, could I emulate the sound somehow? For example doing "long" slides and also trying to match the pitch. And I don't know whether it's of any use to use a wah pedal to help with the emulating.. Whammy bar rarely is a 100% must-have thing when it comes to JS but its importance and part in the songs varies a lot.
Quote by Billie_J
Hoi,

Of late I've been figuring out some songs by Joe Satriani. However, in many songs by JS there is heavy use of whammy bar. A good example is Satch Boogie. Somewhere in the beginning JS uses a whammy bar (the first time).

My question is, could I emulate the sound somehow? For example doing "long" slides and also trying to match the pitch. And I don't know whether it's of any use to use a wah pedal to help with the emulating.. Whammy bar rarely is a 100% must-have thing when it comes to JS but its importance and part in the songs varies a lot.

Wah has nothing to do with whammy. Whammy is a pitch shift, wah is more like a filter sweep.

You can't really emulate a deep dive bomb without sounding like crap. Sliding down the neck sounds way different. Same applies to pre-bending and releasing. I'd say you need a whammy bar or a whammy pedal.

As for plain whammy vibrato, that's nothing good vibrato technique can't fix. But I assume you're talking about the more extreme uses of a whammy.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
If you don't have a whammy bar, using a whammy pedal is the closest you can get to the sound of a whammy bar.

As mentioned above, Wah has nothing to do with vibrato, which is what a whammy bar does.

Either get a guitar with a Floyd or Kahler or get a whammy pedal. I'd go for the guitar, but I don't know if you can shell out money on a new guitar. Whammy pedals aren't necessarily cheap either anyway, but oh well...
Last edited by DanyFS at Jan 6, 2016,
The short answer is that a whammy is one of those things that just can't be 100% emulated. For some things, you can get sort of close. For dive bombing, you can quickly detune a string with the tuner... but I'm sure that you can figure out the shortcomings with that strategy. You can use a Digitech Whammy pedal or other similar continuous pitch shifter with a 2 or 3 octave drop setting, but that really only emulates dive bombs so it's probably not worth the cost.

This video won't be legitimately helpful, but it is a classic:

https://youtu.be/2OONnAVIQ3I
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I knew you were going to link that. I knew it.
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Well buying a new guitar isn't an option, at least not now... My Gibson LP was expensive enough so investing in a new guitar to get a whammy bar isn't the option here. But I guess I'll just have to cope with the current gear I have
Quote by roxy69
I think Kevätuhri has reported me for some reason...so I fell the ban hammer.

Don't worry about that, mods will not ban you They might not even close your thread. It's customary that if someone makes a thread that's against the rules (for example an ad - like you posted) it gets reported, reporter posts a comment to show that it's reported - the mods decide the rest. They might close your thread, but they never ban people for something that little.
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
Whammy pedals still sounds nothing like the real deal.
Quote by J_W
Whammy pedals still sounds nothing like the real deal.

True, but nothing else really lets you bend that much below the range of the guitar. It's kind of the next best thing.
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
you can bend your neck for dive bomb sound but i wouln't recommend that with a Les Paul. for joe satriani you really need a trem that can raise and lower pitch. a whammy peal can do this but it will take a fair bit of practice to get that to work for you (real easy to overdo it)
Without a whammy bar I think the next best option is to play just try to come up with some other lick/phrase that sounds good in the place of the whammy bar trick. That's what I do with Satriani songs.
I only came to see if that video was posted...

The short answer to your question is no.
Well I've done this before with 1 string, but you need a good ear. Turn the tuning peg to detune and bring it back up to tune...Takes a bit of skill but sounds cool.