My current setup is a Vantage flying V with an ash body and PRS pickups through several fuzz boxes (russian muff, devi evers) into an Orange OR80 and a PPC412 loaded with V30s.

Right now, everything sounds really compressed and smooth. The V30s put out alot of low end, but it's really tight sounding. What I'm going for is more of a massive, out of control and dynamic sound. Like Fu Manchu, Boris and some Electric Wizard type sounds.

So, I'm leaning toward some low output PAFs. Probably a SD Seth Lover set, but I'd like to hear from anyone who's used them in similar context. I think the V30s may be the bigger issue, though, and I have no idea what to look for. I want a big, loose bass response. Probably plenty of speaker distortion, too. Any suggestions there?
For speakers maybe the swamp thang or cannabis rex for that bass your looking for, or some g12ts if your sticking with celestion. As for pickups i can't really say. Seymour duncan has a pickup shootout video for a lot of their high gain pickups that might help you out.
The fuzz might also be some of the problem as its taking away from your dynamics. Find a good overdrive or distortion that has the right grit and presence without losing tone character from fuzziness.
Then again I've never been a fan of fuzz boxes lol
Hopes this helps
Question Everything
Gear
PRS SE 245
Schecter Solo Special
B-52 AT-100
Orange CR60
Fulltone GT-500
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Banshee Talkbox
I like Eminence speakers alot. Of those models, it looks like the Cannabis Rex would be the best fit. I'd go from a 240w cab to a 200w, whereas the Swamp Thangs would end up at 600. Am I right in thinking that lower wattage would lead to earlier speaker distortion? I was also leaning towards British voiced speakers. I've always heard that British/American amps should be matched to speakers for the best performance.
Quote by Stickymongoose
I like Eminence speakers alot. Of those models, it looks like the Cannabis Rex would be the best fit. I'd go from a 240w cab to a 200w, whereas the Swamp Thangs would end up at 600. Am I right in thinking that lower wattage would lead to earlier speaker distortion? I was also leaning towards British voiced speakers. I've always heard that British/American amps should be matched to speakers for the best performance.

No. That's balderdash. And you don't want speaker distortion in any case.

And no, you don't need to match speakers (British to British, for example) for the best performance.

Honestly, right now you're attacking this badly, and just randomly slinging money around. Your V30s aren't at fault, nor are your pickups. You should be looking toward your pedalboard.
I feel like I've tried just about every kind of dirt pedal, though. Right now I have a Bluesdriver, Rat, Big Muff, Torns Peaker and Hyperion. None of them really give me the kind of low end I'm looking for.
Could be how you are EQing your pedals/amp? It sounds like you have some good fuzzes although there are a lot of options still, I would look into tweaking the fuzz and the amp more. I would think with those pedals and the amp/cab you can get there.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
i don't play doom and stoner but yeah for what you describe, v30s sound like the exact opposite of what you want.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
To me G12h30's or clones are about the best stoner/doom speaker because they have bass, mids and highs sound kinda modern, but also have that classic rock mid range that everyone likes in the greenback

G12m25 greenback or clones are my second favorite speaker for what you want.

I put a G12h30 and a GB128(eminence GB clone) in my 2x12 cab and it sounded killer for stoner drone type stuff.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yeah, I'm leaning toward the Cannabis Rex. Of course I'll keep experimenting with what I've got, but I wouldn't have much to lose. I should be able to sell a quad of V30s for close to what the Eminences will cost.
Quote by Robbgnarly
To me G12h30's or clones are about the best stoner/doom speaker because they have bass, mids and highs sound kinda modern, but also have that classic rock mid range that everyone likes in the greenback

G12m25 greenback or clones are my second favorite speaker for what you want.

I put a G12h30 and a GB128(eminence GB clone) in my 2x12 cab and it sounded killer for stoner drone type stuff.

+1

I use a g12h30/greenback combo in one of my cabs, sounds great for stonery doomy stuff.

I believe Tony iommi uses g12h30s too

Wouldn't bother changing pickups when you're using so much distortion
I just found the WGS Reaper on their website. It's supposed to be their version of the G12H30, and it's half the price of the Celestions. Think I could go with two of those and two Eminence Private Jacks (50w GB clones)? Eminence also has a g12h variant, but it has a really high sensitivity, so I doubt it would balance well with anything else.
Quote by Stickymongoose
I just found the WGS Reaper on their website. It's supposed to be their version of the G12H30, and it's half the price of the Celestions. Think I could go with two of those and two Eminence Private Jacks (50w GB clones)? Eminence also has a g12h variant, but it has a really high sensitivity, so I doubt it would balance well with anything else.

Yeah the reaper is a great speaker, I had the reaper HP (50watts) for a while.

I prefer the Eminence GB128 over the Private Jack only because the GB128 has a better low-end that doesn't get as flubby as quick as the PJ. But yeah that combo would work well. Put them in an X pattern
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Looks like Eminence doesn't make the 16 ohm version of the GB12 anymore. WGS has a 50w Invader that is supposed to be close to a greenback. I might just go with HP Reapers and Invaders, 55hz cones if WGS will do them.
Quote by Stickymongoose
Looks like Eminence doesn't make the 16 ohm version of the GB12 anymore. WGS has a 50w Invader that is supposed to be close to a greenback. I might just go with HP Reapers and Invaders, 55hz cones if WGS will do them.

Well you could do all 8Ohm speakers and make it an 8Ohm cab.

But your way would be just fine
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Ultimately, I'm planning on picking up another ppc412 and adding a couple of el34s to convert the amp to an or120. Probably not any time soon, but I'd like to keep this cab at 16ohms so I can chain it to another cab.
Quote by Stickymongoose

eminence is a bit optimistic with its ratings. i'm not sure i'd assume the gb128 is actually good for 50 watts like i would with most similarly-rated celestions.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Stickymongoose
Ultimately, I'm planning on picking up another ppc412 and adding a couple of el34s to convert the amp to an or120. Probably not any time soon, but I'd like to keep this cab at 16ohms so I can chain it to another cab.

does it have 2 extra tube sockets?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Dave_Mc
eminence is a bit optimistic with its ratings. i'm not sure i'd assume the gb128 is actually good for 50 watts like i would with most similarly-rated celestions.

I don't doubt the GB128 is 50watts at all, my buddy has used my 1x12 cab with his single recto without issue and he isn't that quiet of a guitarist
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
does it have 2 extra tube sockets?

No, but that is basically the only difference between the OR120 and OR80. Same transformers and circuit. Mine even has the holes drilled for two more el34s. I picked up a couple of extra sockets, but I haven't gotten around to installing them yet.
Quote by Stickymongoose
No, but that is basically the only difference between the OR120 and OR80. Same transformers and circuit. Mine even has the holes drilled for two more el34s. I picked up a couple of extra sockets, but I haven't gotten around to installing them yet.

unless you are good at soldering and reading schematics you might want to leave that mod alone. besides 80 watts is plenty of power for just about anything, even an unmic'd outdoor gig
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I don't doubt the GB128 is 50watts at all, my buddy has used my 1x12 cab with his single recto without issue and he isn't that quiet of a guitarist

I'm just working on the basis that guys on other forums who seemed to know what they were talking about (amp designers, really) were saying that, as far as they could see, the GB128 had more or less the same construction as a greenback, yet it was rated as 50 watts while the greenback was rated at 25. and when you look at most eminence versions of celestion speakers, they're normally rated more highly. They're certainly optimistic with their efficiency ratings.

but i could well be wrong. but as far as i'm aware eminence has the rep of being optimistic about the ratings.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I got the cabinet opened, and these are UK made drivers. I was under the impression that Celestion had started making V30s in China several years back. Anybody know if these are some kind of variation made to Orange's specs? I know Mesa was doing that with their V30s at one point.

I doubt there's much of any difference, but it should help the resale a bit.