Hello, i havent written much here before but i need your help. I dunno if i'm about to do something i will regret, but im thinking about changing my ESP Horizon II for a brand new Ibanez RGDIX7 2016, is this a good or a bad trade? Thanks!
It depends. What are you trying to accomplish? What will you gain from the new guitar that you can't do on your old one?
I'd keep the horizon personally
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
I'm just not very satisfied with my Horizon, it doesnt give me the feel that it's worth what i payed for it. Other Guitarists shake their head when i tell them what it cost.
Also, i find the playability is worse than my cheap jackson js22-7 dinky. Am i maybe overthinking things?
Have you played the ibanez? pick the one you prefer the feel and sound of. Nobody else can make that decision for you.
Havent played that exact model no, it's brand new so i doubt many people have. I have loaned a friends 7string guitar that he said should almost match that one, atleast in playability, and tbh the tone is worse than my ESP.
Have you taken the time to properly set up your guitar? Not trying to be rude, but I find it hard to believe that the playability of the Horizon is below that of the js22-7.
Check pickup height? Strings? Intonation? Relief? Etc.
I've never played a Horizon before but must people regard them as top notch guitars.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
In my opinion, as far as "metal" guitars go....nothing feels as smooth and slick as that Ibanez wizard neck. Those ESP Horizons are nice...but to me it just looks too damn pretty.
Quote by Bonafidepetters
Havent played that exact model no, it's brand new so i doubt many people have. I have loaned a friends 7string guitar that he said should almost match that one, atleast in playability, and tbh the tone is worse than my ESP.

You're better off trying one before making a decision, I wouldn't get rid of a guitar i like to swap/sell it for something i have never played.
Quote by bobafettacheese
Have you taken the time to properly set up your guitar? Not trying to be rude, but I find it hard to believe that the playability of the Horizon is below that of the js22-7.
I've never played a Horizon before but must people regard them as top notch guitars.

This. Make sure you get a professional set-up before you give up on playability on this guitar.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Bad idea.
Get YOUR guitar set up properly by an expert tech.
At some point if you want to look at that particular new guitar, do so when it's actually out on the market.
I've traded guitars. More than half of the trades I have regretted. I traded an Ibanez RG470 for an LTD DV-8 for a highway-1 strat, that strat for a Jackson slim soloist hardtail. I traded an Ovation for a Yamaha acoustic. Traded an Aria Pro 2 for a cheapo ibanez strat.

Out of it, I liked the DV-8 best. The thing I don't regret is getting to try all those guitars out! I really found what I like. Can't tell you what is right on those guitars, but I can say it is good to try as many as you can. Hopefully you can just try them out at a guitar shop like a reasonable person unlike me.
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
Quote by bobafettacheese

This 1,000%. Even amazing guitars can feel/sound horrid with a bad setup, and if this is actually your problem, you're going to run into it with every single guitar you buy/play until you learn to set your instrument up or just go have it done.

I almost always prefer Ibanez to ESP, and I've had a Horizon before that I didn't really care for. I absolutely hate the new 'Iron Label' branding that Ibanez is doing, and wouldn't own one at all, personally. That said, you can't tell how much you actually like a guitar until you've played on it with a proper setup. As far as other guitarists 'shaking their heads' at what you payed for a H-II, I can't understand why. If I recall, it was around a 1,300 US guitar, which is not ridiculously priced when you consider an American PRS costs around 3k and there are Les Pauls out there that go for nearly 6k. Also, bear in mind that you're looking at a fanned-fret instrument, which takes some adjusting to.

In the end, letting someone else decide what you get is almost always a sure road to eventual disappointment. The opinion that matters is that of your ears and hands, man.

“We’re built of contradictions, all of us. It’s those opposing forces that give us strength, like an arch, each block pressing the next. Give me a man whose parts are all aligned in agreement and I’ll show you madness. We walk a narrow path, insanity to each side. A man without contradictions to balance him will soon veer off.”

silentfall.bandcamp.com
Last edited by an.interloper at Jan 7, 2016,
You'd be taking a HUGE downgrade in quality.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I agree with everyone else in this thread. Get your guitar professionally set up. I think you'd be amazed how much better it will play and sound. If it still sucks after a professional set up, go ahead and find another guitar you like better.
-Andrew H
band: syncopated groove punch
Quote by Bonafidepetters
Also, i find the playability is worse than my cheap jackson js22-7 dinky. Am i maybe overthinking things?

Get a professional setup - that's the first step. Those guitars have issues, but playability is not one of them.
Thanks for all the answers. You're right, i might need a professional set up. I am a total noob when it comes to Guitar Tech and adjustments. Any tips on where and what to search for a Guitar Setup guide? Might be the time to learn this myself.
Theres a bunch of guides on this site actually. Just search "how to setup a guitar" or whatever.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by Bonafidepetters
Thanks for all the answers. You're right, i might need a professional set up. I am a total noob when it comes to Guitar Tech and adjustments. Any tips on where and what to search for a Guitar Setup guide? Might be the time to learn this myself.

If you're dissatisfied how your guitar plays I'm not sure diving in and doing it yourself with no one to guide you would be a wise idea. Most guitar techs have learned their skills over many years and on many guitars and typically aren't "guessing" at what might be wrong. Likewise they have all the right equipment for making the measurements to ensure the guitar is within specs and working the way it was designed to work. I've seen guys totally screw up their guitars by trying to do it themselves without having a foundation in guitar design and electronics.

Talk to some other musicians in your area and get some recommendations. It's a lot cheaper than a new guitar and it often makes a WORLD of difference in playability.
Quote by dunedindragon
If you're dissatisfied how your guitar plays I'm not sure diving in and doing it yourself with no one to guide you would be a wise idea. Most guitar techs have learned their skills over many years and on many guitars and typically aren't "guessing" at what might be wrong. Likewise they have all the right equipment for making the measurements to ensure the guitar is within specs and working the way it was designed to work. I've seen guys totally screw up their guitars by trying to do it themselves without having a foundation in guitar design and electronics.

Talk to some other musicians in your area and get some recommendations. It's a lot cheaper than a new guitar and it often makes a WORLD of difference in playability.

Thanks for the heads up, i'll check around!
Quote by Bonafidepetters

As far as setting up a guitar, you can google it and trial/error most of it until you find what you like without any real risk to your guitar. The exceptions here are having your frets leveled/dressed and adjusting your truss rod, which, if done incorrectly, can absolutely ruin your neck, and that's an expensive fix. I'd hold off on that and have someone who knows their stuff do it until you're comfortable working on a guitar, but the rest - namely intonation and action - can be done with no risk to your guitar.

And a full setup is definitely worth learning to do yourself. Not only will it save you money, but you'll have a better understanding of how and why your instrument works and why it does, and how all the pieces work together to do what you love, how they make what you don't love happen, and how to make sure you can set it so that it will do what you love

One of the best things I've done as a guitarist, outside the realm of playing, is learning how to do a full setup and replace a complete set of electronics.

“We’re built of contradictions, all of us. It’s those opposing forces that give us strength, like an arch, each block pressing the next. Give me a man whose parts are all aligned in agreement and I’ll show you madness. We walk a narrow path, insanity to each side. A man without contradictions to balance him will soon veer off.”

silentfall.bandcamp.com
Setting up a guitar is not that hard to do by yourself, however - since this is a major issue for whether you are going to keep the guitar or not, get a professional setup done for two reasons:

1. you don't know how to do a setup and you want to know you are testing the guitar with a proper setup to see if it fixes the playability issues you are having.

2. it gives you a reference for when you start doing your own setups as to what a good setup can accomplish and feels like.