Hey all,

So, its that time of year again. Student loan came through

I've managed to make a bit more money too which is why I thought I'd treat myself. Obviously I'm not going to splash it all on expensive gear (as tempting as it is to survive on soup for 4 months for the sake of a new shiny guitar!).

Anyway! So I'm looking for a new pedal and I just thought I'd get some suggestions. In terms of basics I have them covered. I have a go to distortion, wah, fuzz, and booster pedal which are stomp boxes. For the other essential guitar effects, I just use my Boss ME-80 for things like Chorus, Delay, Phaser, Flanger etc. I don't use the modelling of it so I just keep it in the effects loop, and I'd like to get dedicated pedals for each but at the moment I am content with the crude yet effective use of a multi effects pedal (I did buy it as a beginner to effects anyway. I wanted to experiment with the use of said effects without having to buy each pedal).

So I've been looking for something kind of unique. Not necessarily out of this world one trick pony pedals but something you wouldn't consider a necessity on a board. For example, although I have a Wah and Fuzz, I really like the sound of the recent EHX Cock Fight. Its really tempting me. I just love some of the sounds you can get and it would be nice to have another 'cleaner' wah, as my wah is an Ibanez Wh10 v2 which boosts the volume. Nice, but annoying sometimes. I also like the look of other EHX modelling sort of pedals like their organ/keys pedals. They're a bit too expensive for me at the moment though so I'm trying to put them to the back of my mind.

Essentially, my price range is trying not to go over £100. I could if it is worth it maybe. If I think it is absolutely amazing then yes, I could live cheaper for a week. I am also open to pre-owned deals as long as they have their box. Just wanting to know what you guys think would be a fun addition which as I said, isn't necessarily a requirement as a recommended effect, but just something which can have a practical use and can be a bit fun to play with and just mix up your sound a little.

I'm wanting to avoid overdrives, distortions and stand alone wah pedals.

Let me know your suggestions and I'll just list my current set up if its any use. It's very Boss heavy. It would be nice to see a different brand on there!

Blackstar HT-40 with Boss Me-80 in effects loop. Ibanez WH10v2 wah, Boss Turbo Distortion, EHX Big Muff, Boss Metal Zone, Boss Dynamic Wah, EHX Bassballs, Boss Feedbacker/Booster.

Cheers guys!
I know its slightly over budget but ever since someone posted in reply to the UG xmas list its more than piqued my curiosity

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/earthquaker-devices-rainbow-machine-polyphonic-pitch-mesmerizer-guitar-effects-pedal

If not maybe an octaver or something unique besides your typical delay/chorus.
Have you considered an EQ pedal? Maybe playing wit your tone itself could help (with the eq that is.)
Boss makes a nice 7 band and mxr has a 10 band for right around your budget
Question Everything
Gear
PRS SE 245
Schecter Solo Special
B-52 AT-100
Orange CR60
Fulltone GT-500
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Banshee Talkbox
Have you changed the speaker and/or tubes in the Blackstar? My primary concern is the speaker. I think a friend has the HT 40 and the stock speaker is something like a Celestion Rocket. Not too great. A speaker swap would help you out quite a bit more than a pedal would.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 7, 2016,
MXR 10 band EQ in the loop; not as noisy as boss's, suggesting it as a utility item more than something that'll sound cool.

Digitech Whammy perhaps.
There was one pedal I had a while ago, Orbital Modulator. Several high quality mods in one with two presets and several parameters to work with, though its a little higher than your budget.
Also: What type of metal/rock are you doing that you use Boss dirt pedals over the amp distortion? I figure Blackstar isn't the best amp distortion but I'd think a good overdrive in place of the MT-2 would be better. You may be able to replace Turbo Distortion as a result, too, though that depends if you're using it because its unique vs just as distortion.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
MXR 10 band EQ in the loop; not as noisy as boss's, suggesting it as a utility item more than something that'll sound cool.

Digitech Whammy perhaps.
There was one pedal I had a while ago, Orbital Modulator. Several high quality mods in one with two presets and several parameters to work with, though its a little higher than your budget.
Also: What type of metal/rock are you doing that you use Boss dirt pedals over the amp distortion? I figure Blackstar isn't the best amp distortion but I'd think a good overdrive in place of the MT-2 would be better. You may be able to replace Turbo Distortion as a result, too, though that depends if you're using it because its unique vs just as distortion.

Everybody should have one of those.
A Whammy could be fun.
I still kind of regret not getting one several years ago when I had a few thousand to spend on random gear.
I did get the 10 band then though.
Kinda seems like you have things covered. I like the speaker and/or preamp tube( if tubes are sub-par) upgrade idea. Maybe some new pups. But really, are you using your school loan to buy this? I'm a sucker for colorful, shiny boxes with switches and knobs that make cool noises myself but, you may be kicking yourself down the road. No judgement here regardless, I just cringed when I read that cause...uh...nevermind.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Jan 8, 2016,
There are lots of interesting pedals out there that may interest you...but I don't know what many would cost in the UK. I mean, I know the conversion rate, but that doesn't necessarily tell the whole story.

I'd look for pedals from Earthquaker Devices (Rainbow Machine, Arpanoid), Catalinbread (AntiChthon, Perseus Suboctave fuzz), and Keeley (EchoPhase) to start with. Good stuff, generally affordable, and some are genuinely oddball.

A Boss RTG (random tone generator) is fairly cheap, and might scratch that itch.

Ohnoho' Chk Chk Boom is a momentary looper, which lets you weird your sound with but a touch...and return to normal when you release.

The WMD Geiger Counter is an amazingly destructive distortion device that is full of options. New ones are too pricey for you, but a used one might be affordable. There is also the WMD Geiger Counter Civilian model, which is smaller and also cheaper because it has fewer distortion modes.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 8, 2016,
A used Boss RT-20 is probsbly in your price range, and they're fun. (I have one.)

http://www.bossus.com/products/rt-20/
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by Will Lane
Have you changed the speaker and/or tubes in the Blackstar? My primary concern is the speaker. I think a friend has the HT 40 and the stock speaker is something like a Celestion Rocket. Not too great. A speaker swap would help you out quite a bit more than a pedal would.

i haven't tried the blackstar but yeah if the speaker is one of the crappier celestions then that'd be my first port of call too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I believe they were the 70/80, which sucked. I was not a fan of the blackstar when I had it but will admit it sounded much better through better speakers.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Seventy80's are quite shit as well.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Actually...do you have a looper?

I really love the MXR Dynacomp that retails just below 100 which is within your budget. I play a lot of clean so I find it useful and I also use it to boost my overdrive pedal. The settings I like are between 2 and 3 o'clock for the output and between 9 and 10 for sensitivity. The most important pedal on my board.

I also like the EHX Small stone. Cheap pedal but sounds great. I use it instead of a wah pedal. Also, I like to use it with a delay pedal. My favourite fun pedal.

A tuner pedal could be quite useful as you did not mention one. Also, a noise gate/suppressor could be useful.