I never quite understood the hate over the years. It seems like all of their egos got too big, drug problems got out of control, etc. But Axl is the only one that gets the blame, I feel mainly because he doesn't waste his time arguing with people talking shot about him, and since he didn't give in to squabbling everyone calls him a reclusive hermitt... the dude is chilling in Malibu leaving everyone alone. But yet slash still puts his top hat and perm on pretends to still be his younger self and spreads hate for the poor guy. People will say that axl tarnished the band... but he only released one album without the guys after over a decade of waiting. And why can't the guy stay in the band he put together and put his heart into.

I always think people misunderstand how lopsided writing credits are in gnr. Appetite can only be speculated since all the credits are gnr, same for lies. However watching interviews it seems izzy did most of the writing. You can break it down on illusion though

Out of 30 songs

Izzy 12
axl 22
Slash 9
duff 5

now you also have to ask what did they even contribute to a song, was it the whole thing or was it just a lick or a solo. So consider what songs only have axl, izzy, or a combination of the two vs duff,slash, or a combo.

izzy/axl 13
slash/duff 1

My whole point here is that axl and izzy made the music, stayed quite about it, then slash and duff took the fame and credit, then shit all over the guy that made them millionaires and distanced himself from drug addicts
Maybe it's because not only is Axl Rose a douchebag but also he has a terrible singing voice.
It's his attitude man. Granted he is bipolar so I cut him some slack since my wife is bipolar and I know it is a struggle.

Also, your comments on Slash are bullshit, you couldn't even provide proof to back it up. Slash has been critical of Axl, but always fair, even in his book you could see he went through great pains to be fair about Axl even while being critical. Axl has just been downright insulting and childish in return. Slash is a guy with an excellent reputation in the industry, know for being a down to earth, good guy, who will answer questions in depth if asked even though he has made it clear he really hates those questions. The Slash bias is unreal, do some research on the guy before you label him.

Thirdly, your understandings of writing music are uneducated at best. Your statistics are about lyrical contributions.

Also, what drugs are you on? Axl essentially extorted the rights to the GnR name away from everyone else in the band. He took his sweet time releasing Chinese Democracy, promising and missing deadlines year after year. A pretty typical pattern really, considering his antics when it came to not showing for or canceling shows or just walking off stage in the middle of a set. Slash has done a lot of solo work and still is in Velvet Revolver. He hasn't left any band other than GnR and he has contributed, successfully at that, more music for public consumption since the GnR break than Axl, by far and by large.

I don't hate Axl, but you sound kind of nut swingy on the guy based off very little objective facts.
Michael
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio (Ebony w/ Gold)
Peavy Rage 158 Practice Amp
Last edited by SpawnedX at Jan 7, 2016,
Lol you seem to really take it to heart, how's your slash hardon doing. You don't think it's at all possible slash and duff were getting so fucked up there contributions became almost non existant? And so what if axls contributions are lyrics.... he's the singer. Not to mention he has a whole bunch of songs credited to only him, and use your illusion 2 is almost all axl and izzy.
Quote by Wininacan
Lol you seem to really take it to heart, how's your slash hardon doing. You don't think it's at all possible slash and duff were getting so fucked up there contributions became almost non existant? And so what if axls contributions are lyrics.... he's the singer. Not to mention he has a whole bunch of songs credited to only him, and use your illusion 2 is almost all axl and izzy.

Obvious troll is obvious.
Why everything I've said is reasonable, they all let the ego go to their heads, but only one dude gets the blame. The only guy that didn't let it get to his head was izzy, and Axl is the only one that is still friends with izzy, that can't be a coincidence
Look guys an armchair expert.
Michael
Thanks ColdGin, I was looking for this clip. Axl is an ass who makes his audience sit for hours until he feels like strolling on stage then pretending someone in audience pissed him off so he can slam down his microphone and leave in the middle of a show. As much as I liked GnR I'm hoping tihs "We're Back For Your Money" tour doesn't happen.

Oh and by the way, left to his own talent he produced "Chinese Democracy" a piece of garbage that took 10 years to complete. Good only for skeet shooting. my choice for most over-hyped album of the last 20 years.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Jan 8, 2016,
Axl sux.

The lead singer disease is strong in him and the personal cost of working with him is simply too high.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
And at the end of the day Axl and izzy were friends since high school started the band together and wrote most of the music, can you blame the guy for not wanting to end the band. It's the easiest thing to judge people in retrospect
Why do you seem to think people are afraid to say bad things about Slash? I personally think he's one of the most overrated guitarist ever so I have no reason to kiss his ass (Then again I think Guns N Roses is one of the most overrated bands ever). Axl has certainly made his douchebagery much more prevalent.
No point in responding to this clown, he probably can't even spell guitar let alone play it. In his mind writing the lyrics to songs is the same as writing an entire song. Like Duff and Slash never contributed anything, despite every single one of them, including Axl, saying otherwise, but this bag of wind thinks he knows better than them.

As for Slash being overrated, I disagree, I also don't think he is underrated. I think his skill and some of the memorable riffs he has written has earned him what he has. Just like his alcohol and addiction problems had consequences, his good playing and down to earth personality have gotten him the fame and standing he has.
Michael
Last edited by SpawnedX at Jan 9, 2016,
Yeah its not like Axl composed music too... oh wait he wrote all of November rain, including slashs solo... hmm.... Axl is talented on numerous instruments, if you think he only wrote lyrics youre crazy bud...
Quote by Wininacan
Yeah its not like Axl composed music too... oh wait he wrote all of November rain, including slashs solo... hmm.... Axl is talented on numerous instruments, if you think he only wrote lyrics youre crazy bud...

Why are you so eager to defend this jerk?
Most people that hate Axl only hate him because it's the popular thing to do. Onto of that slash had a major resurgence around the time of guitar hero, most of his fans were never old enough to even see gnr live but complain about how Axl ruined it all with no clue they were all (except izzy) egotistical alcoholic drug addicts. It's what made the attitude of their band so strong. But Axl is villianized while slash is praised... and it leads to the misconception that slash or duff contributed much of anything at all. Duff says it himself, he didn't contribute much. Slash spent half the time on stage standing in front of other band members like he wrote their music, too high to play it properly
Quote by Wininacan

No one here said we only think Axl wrote lyrics, we said the statistics you posted were only about lyrics. I know it's hard for you to comprehend anything based on your posts, but maybe you will get that. I don't have much faith in your intellectual capacity.

Obviously Axl has talent, even the other band members you are putting down with your false assertions highly praise his talent. Slash's autobiography was full of comments about Axl's brilliance.

You are just too stupid to comprehend that Axl is hated because of Axl and not because of the GnR breakup. Act like a douchebag and get treated like a douchebag and that is what Axl did.

Of course you can keep denying the giant piece of trash that Chinese Democracy is and ignore the fact that Velvet Revolver's CDs did better, but at the end of the day the facts are quite certain, GnR's success was more than one person and being a talented frontman who behaves like a jackass does not mean there are no consequences for being a jackass.

Slash, Izzy, Duff and Steven never made any excuses for their recreational habits, and so many bands had nights where a member was not up to snuff because of dependency issues, but Slash, Izzy, Duff and Steven came to each show ready to play for their fans, they did not keep people guessing as to if they would show or would cancel the night of, or would flip out on a fan because they did not like what they were doing, saying or wearing or throw a microphone down and walk out because of it or leave because their monitor was not perfect or promise a 2 hour show and decide at 90 minutes that was all they felt like doing, or start a concert 3 hours later than it was promised. They didn't stand up on stage and insult other musicians who happened to be at the show just because they had insecurity issues. That was all Axl.

In fact I recall a video in which Slash's guitar was out of tune, he didn't walk out of the performance, he did the best he could with it while waiting for his guitar tech to come back with one of his other guitars so he could swap mid set and continue on. There was also the time that a fan came up from behind him and tried to tackle him or hug him on stage and almost knocked Slash off and did Slash stop and go down and kick his ass? No, he saw security was on it, he composed himself and in a manner of a few seconds he picked up playing perfectly in time with the band.

The writing is on the wall, Axl's behavior villainized himself, despite his talent.

Now go back to whatever coloring book you crawled out of. The rest of us will realize that rock stars do drugs and get drunk and show up to venues as such and occasionally screw up a song. In the heroin fueled 80s and 90s you would be a fool to think otherwise.
Michael
Last edited by SpawnedX at Jan 10, 2016,
Scroll up three posts, YOU insinuated he only wrote lyrics. What does Comercial success have to do with music's quality? Slash stopped being a dick when he got older and off drugs, again what's your point, that has nothing to do with when they were a band.

some more incorrect statements, izzy was never showing up to shows incapable of playing. Steven was fired by everyone for not being capable of playing. Chinese democracy was commercially on part with velvets contraband (VRs highest selling album). Even still so what, sales doesn't mean good music. Slash and duff both liked Chinese democracy.

people that argue on emotion usually have nothing poignant to say, so they resort to insults instead of facts
Quote by Wininacan
Scroll up three posts, YOU insinuated he only wrote lyrics. What does Comercial success have to do with music's quality? Slash stopped being a dick when he got older and off drugs, again what's your point, that has nothing to do with when they were a band.

some more incorrect statements, izzy was never showing up to shows incapable of playing. Steven was fired by everyone for not being capable of playing. Chinese democracy was commercially on part with velvets contraband (VRs highest selling album). Even still so what, sales doesn't mean good music. Slash and duff both liked Chinese democracy.

people that argue on emotion usually have nothing poignant to say, so they resort to insults instead of facts

Says the guy who is oblivious to what a public douchebag Axl is and clearly has an axe to grind with his Slash bias that is truly just getting old.

Like we don't see you conveniently ignore the main crux of the argument, being Axl's disrespect of people in all things he was doing/has done. You want to know why people hate Axl, it's right there for you to stew over, you and Axl share some qualities, which is probably why you can't get over the fact that he has a terrible attitude and alienated his band mates to the point that Guns N' Roses as it was, was no longer.

Next time you post, make sure you have at least versed yourself with the topic and read all the biographies and autobiographies written by the band members to get how they actually feel/felt.

Finally let me quote myself:

Thirdly, your understandings of writing music are uneducated at best. Your statistics are about lyrical contributions.

You must be daft to think there is an insinuation here that he only wrote lyrics. Learn to read and comprehend statements.
Michael
Last edited by SpawnedX at Jan 10, 2016,
Lol more insults and cheesy discrediting. You have nothing of substance to contribute to the discussion
Quote by Wininacan
Lol more insults and cheesy discrediting. You have nothing of substance to contribute to the discussion

Just keep ignoring the blatant answer to your question.
Michael
well i mean he fucking BOUGHT THE NAME GUNS N ROSES while they were still together as a band. that's like the ultimate dick bandmate move
he's also abusive to women
and says a lot of terrible things all the time.
Met him in Austin when they opened for The Cult before AFD broke big. Even before the fame he came off as a douche and hasn't done anything in the last 29 years since to prove otherwise.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pearl & Ebony • Les Paul PlusTop Pro Honeyburst • AJ220VS • Squier Standard Stratocaster CAR
Marshall Class 5 Combo • Digitech HT-2 • Vox V847 • MXR M68 Uni-Vibe • Soul Food • BOSS SD-1 • Digitech RV-7
Everyone has flaws, and some show them a lot more. The entire band has shown their true, not-so-flattering colors before. I admit to going with the egotism and hype that comes with doing music for a decent amount of time or at least playing it. It turns a lot of folks (not all, just some) into some of the biggest monsters and idiots ever. Not defending Axl's usual mannerisms or behaviors as he has proven to act as he does on a regular basis with what folks see him as. Just clarifying that everyone in the band had done that. Even before, when they were still the separate L.A. Guns and Hollywood Rose. Both sides showed horrendous drama and attitudes. The main reason folks go for Axl? It's an easy target to use. Slash as well. Even when both were at their prime, that was the case