Hi all,

I am setting up my guitar in B standard. its a jackson licenced floyd rose DXMG. I have done everything right, but it just wont stay in tune longer than about 2 mins.

I am using 9 - 42 gauge strings. Should I try heavier strings? - Should I try different springs? maybe the springs are pulling too much tension on the bridge?

Also, I am new to floyd rose guitars, and someone told me that you can tune the guitar with the normal machine heads even when the locking nuts are on? Is that correct ? Because I am using light gauge strings the locking nuts don't seem to actually contact the strings much?
How long ago did you change the tuning? It usually takes a while for it all to settle. Is the bridge straight?
With strings that skinny the main problem should be fret noise/completely loose strings, wich is why heavier strings are recommended. Springs shouldn't be an issue. If the locking nut screws are tightened you shouldn't touch the tuners.
Quote by 094568029434geo
Hi all,

I am setting up my guitar in B standard. its a jackson licenced floyd rose DXMG. I have done everything right, but it just wont stay in tune longer than about 2 mins.

I am using 9 - 42 gauge strings. Should I try heavier strings? - Should I try different springs? maybe the springs are pulling too much tension on the bridge?

Also, I am new to floyd rose guitars, and someone told me that you can tune the guitar with the normal machine heads even when the locking nuts are on? Is that correct ? Because I am using light gauge strings the locking nuts don't seem to actually contact the strings much?

Heavier strings and different springs aren't the problem, all the strings and springs need to do is be balanced against each other (which is really the essence of a Floyd).

Whoever told you that needs to be avoided in the future, at least as regards guitar advice.

If the locking nut isn't adequately locking the strings, that's why you can't get it to stay in tune.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
THank you for your reply,

That is exactly what i thought, you shouldnt touch the tuners once the the nut is locked, I saw some guy do it in a guitar shop, it may be the nuts that are the issue, maybe the strings are slipping! I should have set it up perfectly and intonation it for a low actions. Cheers, i will have a look at the nuts, maybe just get new nuts on Ebay.
For B standard you should be using .012s or .013s. Your nut slots will need to be widened for the big strings. Given your inexperience it’s best to just take your guitar to a tech and have it set up for B with new strings.