Basically, I've been practicing fingerstyle for 4 consecutive days each 2-3 hours on a website I recommend called guitar nick.

I've been improving but I want to ask the main question as how many days would you say it would take to become a professional fingerstyle player?

Additionally I'm having trouble controlling my pinkie as I struggle to keep it fixed to a fret.
Any help on this would be great too!

Thanks.
Also sorry for the HUGE text it was my first thread and I thought size 7 was small
I've been playing fingestyle every day for almost a year, at least 5 or 6 hours a day, and I still don't think im at a pro level. It all depends on you as a player, there's no distinct time frame. I mean there's the old 10,000 Hours claim that once you practice for 10,000 hous you become a master, but that's just a saying. No one can tell you when you'll be good. Before Fingerstyle I played rock music. I practiced 2 or 3 hous a day for like 4 o 5 years and I still sucked. You just gotta keep working, no one knows when you'll get there
I've been playing fingerstyle every day for maybe 7 or 8 months, usually a couple hours, and I'm nowhere near pro level. On the other hand I started to "get it" after a couple months and improved alot.
Professional? Dunno, I think it depends in part on "talent" or whatever you want to call it as well as hard work. You could probable get by as a decent busker after a year or two, but for top billing as a classical player, the 10 thousand hour rule would be closer to it.

I could play alternating bass reasonably well after two or three years, but I didn't practice in a very focussed way, and teaching tools were a lot harder to come by back then.
Well...."Professional fingerstyle player" could mean a lot of things. You could play well enough to accompany dozens of folk, blues, and country songs in 2-3 years without much difficulty.
I'm old... I well recall the "folk revival" period of the late sixties and early 70s where you could gig steadily with an acoustic guitar, the house sound system and a repertoire of a couple of dozen tunes.

That's one level of "professional".

To be a solo guitar player the likes of say... Leo Kottke or Chet Atkins or currently Tommy Emmanuel... You're talking about a LOT of practice. You want to be essentially technically perfect, or at least so close that the audience doesn't notice those occasional "clams".

Another style would be fingerstyle jazz, either as a solo player or in a small combo. Again, the standard is very high. You would be expected to know a good-sized repertiore or "standards" very well indeed... Forwards and backwards as they say, and be able to improvise.

And of course to be a performing classical guitarist would involve perhaps an even higher level of perfection as you would be expected to be able to get through lengthy classical pieces at a state of technical perfection, or close to it.
Professional - takes 10 years or more if the music technical - probably more. Now, if you're practicing 2 to 3 hours per day you'll be playing some amazing tunes within a year or two if you have any natural talent at all. Playing an Andy Mckee tune or a Bach tune is one thing, but playing at a professional level is another. Writing anything on that level is a whole other issue.

I think the 10,000 hour rule is pretty accurate, but you'll be amazed at what you can play after even 6 months if you keep practicing that much.
Hmm, I'm wondering that quick fingers (from typing a lot) help you. I find guitarnick - fingerstyle tutorials VERY useful and I'm improving after 5 days of 2-3hours. However, I think 1 year and beyond is a VERY LONG TIME, I really dislike the fact of that... but I'll keep trying - I'm determined.
Skill-wise I think no one can determine when do you "become" a professional. My opinion is: You will become a professional when you decide to become one. Either a solo act, or when someone hires you in a professional band/orchestra. Of course the key thing is that you have to have some amount of skill to be a successful pro.

How much talent one has, determines the speed of learning and incorporating music or style imo. So it is really impossible to say how many hours should you spend practicing. In the end who cares (unless you don't have much time to learn it for whatever reasons) how long it takes?

Might I say without any intention to insult that I think you took the completely wrong way to approach to becoming a good fingerstyle guitar player or a pro. The first thing should be that you enjoy it and everything else will come on its own. Of course you will have to spend some serious time practicing but I find this counting of hours somewhat worrying. Having ambitious goals like becoming a professional player may lead to great disappointment and eventually make you quit. Especially when you try think of how many hours will it take. The numbers are daunting.

And what's the hurry? If you love guitar, you will be learning to play it til the day you die, so hopefully you will have enough time to become a good player.