Poll: Do you stay late work?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you stay late work?
Never
12 23%
Often
12 23%
Sometimes
20 38%
It depends
9 17%
Voters: 53.
Page 1 of 4

Why do people expect you to stay late at work

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Never on purpose. But my jobs are pretty menial so staying later is pointless anyway. I actually quit my last job because every time I would walk into work, they would ask if I could stay until close (which was 4am). Then one day my manager just changed my schedule to close without even asking me, while I was already at work.
Last edited by MeGaDeth2314 at Jan 7, 2016,
Allegedly it's in the name of meritocracy but not fuckin likely lol

that said at uni they close it up at 8pm. Frankly I could do darkroom work + studio shoots deep into the early hours. Not the same as a job but hell if I can do that shit for work
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Jan 7, 2016,
Not anymore and I show up late every single day cuz they're a bunch of cunts to the point where I don't give a shit if they fire me
Yeah I stay late sometimes. Most of the time it's been on my volition though.

The only times I had to stay late involuntarily, I was more than compensated for it so it was NBD.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Wasn't that a thing in old TV shows and movies and stuff?
The husband constantly putting his job before his family, and then losing his family because of it?
Quote by Ichikurosaki
maybe if u were a better employee you would get the respect you deserve

Since you've literally never had a job in your life, let me fill you in. In retail, it doesn't matter how good of a worker you are, you're going to get shit on. Did the whole hard worker thing and it got me nowhere so now I'm doing the whole don't be a good worker thing and unsurprisingly I get treated the same
If you're sucking dick to get a retail job then you're doing it for more reasons than minimum wage I'd gather.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by GuitarGod_92
Since you've literally never had a job in your life, let me fill you in. In retail, it doesn't matter how good of a worker you are, you're going to get shit on. Did the whole hard worker thing and it got me nowhere so now I'm doing the whole don't be a good worker thing and unsurprisingly I get treated the same

I really wish I could say that you're wrong. Unless you really want to move up to a management position (which barely gets paid more than regular employees in retail) then there is hardly any point in doing more work than the minimum required to keep your job.
It depends on your job, and your employer/manager(and how much you like these things).

If I'm doing like bullshit shift work, then you bet your ass I'm out as soon as time is up(unless they're offering at least time and a half to stay on). On the other hand, I have friends who work as doctors/nurses etc who will stay late to make sure they get dictation done or paperwork completed(after a 12 1/2 hour shift), and even a few programmers and the like who will stay late if they're just about done with something, so they can move on to what's next in the morning.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
I do. Our day isn't done until shit's done. I work 200 hours a month before overtime (assumed 4x50 hour weeks). Others that I work with whine and moan if we have to work late, but we all signed the EU working time directive waiver, so they knew it would be likely.
working in retail is shit. the key is to not give a fuck. we used to smoke during our lunch break and get drunk throughout the day. made it go by faster.

I will never return to retail

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
I have always been a model employee...
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Jobs are supposed to be more than a way to earn money. Fuck this world.

Employers become your parents.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Quote by GuitarGod_92

Spot on really

In retail it's all about brown nosing and bum licking the managers

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
I have always been a model employee...

Airfix or Revell?
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by guitarist41 at #33765238
Jobs are supposed to be more than a way to earn money. Fuck this world.

Employers become your parents.

that's exactly what a job is though

you're thinking of a career
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I do. Our day isn't done until shit's done. I work 200 hours a month before overtime (assumed 4x50 hour weeks). Others that I work with whine and moan if we have to work late, but we all signed the EU working time directive waiver, so they knew it would be likely.

Man, they really fucked you there. Though, when you want the job and they ask you to sign it before you start, you're pretty much strong-armed into it.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Last edited by guitarist41 at Jan 7, 2016,
Quote by Ichikurosaki
that's exactly what a job is though

you're thinking of a career

I make no distinction between a job and a career.
Quote by neidnarb11890
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
I really wish I could say that you're wrong. Unless you really want to move up to a management position (which barely gets paid more than regular employees in retail) then there is hardly any point in doing more work than the minimum required to keep your job.

Being a manager in retail is like being a mod on a forum.

You get a fancy title but you also get a ton of BS and not much dinero to show for it.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
12 hour shifts. Very rarely I'll hang around a few minutes longer if there is an emergency, but that's about it.
Quote by guitarist41
Man, they really fucked you there. Though, when you want the job and they ask you to sign it before you start, your pretty much strong-armed into it.

Pay's good. I get two guaranteed days off a week, 35 days a year paid holiday, a higher level of pension contribution from my employer. I work up the ladder and I get paid more for less hours, and promotions are internal and transparent. I simply see it as paying my dues until I work my way up.
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Why do people expect you to stay late at work

for me it just goes with the job. not everyone has the type of job that they can just walk away from at the exact minute their shift is up. i work security. if something is going on i have to stay. if my relief is late i have to stay, the list goes on. it's not always cut and dry. it is a good point that management looks for people willing to go the extra mile as that shows dedication. as for millenials many spend more time on their phones than working so perhaps a little less clock watching would be in order (please note i said many not all so save the hate).
Sometimes. Rarely more than two or three hours per week tho, and I generally don't get paid overtime. But mostly I get to control my own workload, so if it's way too busy I can just outsource some more stuff.
For the job I just interviewed for, staying late and working crazy hours is an expectation but you make bank in overtime pay so hell yeah I'd stay late.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Pay's good. I get two guaranteed days off a week, 35 days a year paid holiday, a higher level of pension contribution from my employer. I work up the ladder and I get paid more for less hours, and promotions are internal and transparent. I simply see it as paying my dues until I work my way up.

If you're happy with it, great.
Quote by neidnarb11890
Seldom, if ever.

I do show up early, but that's to beat traffic.

We have a pretty relaxed atmosphere here. Within reason we all show up and leave when we can and/or need to and nobody makes it an issue. As long as your work gets done as necessary, nobody cares when it (specifically) gets done.

Businesses don't actually pay you for the time you spend, but for the value you contribute.

Time is just a convenient, albeit grossly imperfect, indicator.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by GuitarGod_92
Since you've literally never had a job in your life

haha why does that not surprise me

OT: I am responsible for locking up and closing everything down daily, so I'm always at work late lol
Check out my band Disturbed
Has ichi actually never had a job

If I were an employer, I would not expect my employees to work over necessarily, but I would expect them to take the time to do their job well.

I personally never work over

Take that as you will

They also won't give us overtime. If you work over tonight, you work less tomorrow.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
I just stay until I get everything done, however early or late that may be.

Then everyone is like oh she's so organised. So good at getting things done. So they give me more things to do.

And then I am working 50-60 hours a week and I end up sick with workplace stress and I fall behind because I can't physically get done all the things they expect me to do.

Then I quit and go travel the world.

Ah teaching.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
i'm disabled, check your privilege

that's ableist, disabled people can work

Quote by EndTheRapture51
that's ableist, disabled people can work

Well, until the government cuts funding for Remploy, anyway.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Page 1 of 4