It's here, guys. It's finally here. After years of lusting after, it has finally come. My 2010 PRS SE Zach Myers Sig.

Awesome clear knobs

Fleur de lys inlay at 12th fret

The sisters together

Before I start to delve into the actual guitar, I just want to stress how long I've been waiting to get my hands on one of these. Five years ago, when I was shopping around for my first electric guitar, this was one that caught my attention. I was a big Shinedown fan (and still am), and the looks of this guitar always struck a chord with me. But it was waaayy over my budget, so I got something else. Couple years later, I got my first PRS, a SE Singlecut, which I absolutely loved and still do, but still wasn't that guitar that caught my eye years ago. And it only got worse when they changed the model and that particular iteration was almost impossible to find for under 800-1000 US without shipping or taxes, and my hopes to ever own it were waning. But in early December, I came across a near mint model on eBay for 425$ US. One impulse buy, 830$ CAN and a few days later, it arrived.

Now that I have it, I have to say I'm pretty damn pleased with it. Coming off of my Singlecut, I have to say that I feel the extra weight from the thicker body. Its nothing backbreaking, but its still noticeable. The neck feels identical to my other PRS (both SE Wide/Fat), and I was surprised to notice how little I missed the fret markers, as well as how much of a difference the ebony fretboard made. Being used to rosewood, it almost felt like playing on a plastic board, but I quickly got used to it. Sound wise, it is a little hotter than my Singlecut. The neck pickup has a little more character than the one on my other PRS, its great for cleans with a little distortion, and the bridge pickup sounds damn near identical to my Singlecut, so much so I think it might be the same. The middle one is actually very similar to the bridge, I can actually get the same tone from the bridge pup simply by rolling down the tone knob. Speaking of, it's great to have more options when it comes to the knobs and the switches. Overall, its a great guitar. It's very similar to my Singlecut, but the added weight and hardware give it more legit feel, if that makes any sense. As much as I love my first PRS, I have to admit it kinda feels like PRS SC Lite. But this, this is real deal. Almost.

No matter how much I enjoy it right now, there are some things I'm planning on ameliorating. First order of business, those strap buttons are worthless. OK, maybe I'm being to harsh, they're actually pretty fine, but I'm so used to Straploks that whenever I play standing up without 'em, I stand still as a statue out of fear of smashing my new guitar. Bu don't worry, Straploks are in the mail as we speak. Also in the mail are covers for the pickups. While I adore the looks of the guitar, the black on black pickup looks is kind of boring, so I'll try covering them up. I also plan on changing the middle pickup for something special, as the current one is rather bland and so far, there really is nothing I can do with it that I can't do with the others. I'm considering a Phat Cat, but I'm open to suggestions, go nuts

(I will be updating this post with some sound clips when I get around to edit my recordings.)
Last edited by n1ckn1ce at Feb 13, 2016,
Never seen one of those before.

1 word: WOW!*

I almost bought a PRS as my first electric. Seeing that makes me want a time machine so I could make it so. HNGD!

* Translation: DAAAAAAAYUMMMM!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Are those knobs chromed or translucent?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

White-translucent. I love it, it just fits the top so well... I might get a white tip for the switch to fit the knobs, because the finish is actually quite dark and having black hardware on top makes it a little dull. I'm also considering white pickup rings, but that will depend on the look of the thing once the covers are installed. Also, I've been playing it non stop since I've posted and I can't stress enough how massive the body feels.
Last edited by n1ckn1ce at Jan 7, 2016,
Very nice!HNGD!
There's a semi hollow looking Zach Myers one that's got a light blue flame top that looks absolutely beautiful that i always fancied.I never knew who he was until i saw that guitar.
PRS makes a solid guitar.

I'm just not real big on 3 HB's on guitars not only for looks, but I always hit the middle pickup when I'm playing
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
For pickup covers, check out Greasy Groove. They can make you custom etched nones.

For a center pickup replacement...well...what kind of tone do you seek? Also, what pickup selection options does your selector switch and other controls give you?

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 8, 2016,
Oooooh! I've never really liked the look of PRSes but I really dig this. HNGD
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
sweet
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Nice guitar.

I like the idea of getting pickup covers. The uncovered humbuckers is probably the only thing that I would change about the appearance of my own PRS guitar. Any change of posting pics once they are fitted to give me ideas?
^ Probably a load of crap

Gear

PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Squier Strat
Washburn D10SCE

Vox AC30C2
Roland MicroCube
Fender frontman 15G
I'm blue dabbadeedabbaddda
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
How would you put pickup covers on a pickup that doesn't have a cover to begin with? Don't they usually have a metal frame behind the pickup that they attach to? I know I probably sound dumb but I've never known that this was an option so my curiosity is at cat like levels. Also, beautiful guitar! I dig the knobs
that is very cool. congrats! the se's are some of the best used values on the market.

Quote by whiteouteyes
How would you put pickup covers on a pickup that doesn't have a cover to begin with? Don't they usually have a metal frame behind the pickup that they attach to? I know I probably sound dumb but I've never known that this was an option so my curiosity is at cat like levels. Also, beautiful guitar! I dig the knobs

i've never done it myself but i think you normally need to wax pot them on in addition to just soldering (?) them on. might be handier to just buy new pickups which already have the covers...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by whiteouteyes

All passive humbuckers have a base plate. Not just covered ones. Thats where the coils are screwed into. Its not just 2 pieces of plastic taped together. Uncovered pickups arent a different size or made any different aside from lacking a cover.

You can put covers on pretty easy if you have the tools. I take them off and put them on all the time
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
^ ah ok, listen to him rather than me then
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ ah ok, listen to him rather than me then

Well you are right too, I just thought I'd add that the wax bit probably isnt super needed and you could probably use double sided tape (as per SDs guide) to keep it from moving around too much if youre in a pinch.

Just make sure the cover is a snug fit.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
You dont need the wax but i highly recommend it if only so the cover won't vibrate, thereby reducing the chance of the pickup becoming microphonic over time. It's a bit of extra work (literally only 1 step though) but i myself wouldn't take the shortcut. Vibrating/wobbly pickup covers are super tacky and you dont want to skimp on the nice instrument you've just received. As for the soldering, you just solder it straight to baseplate. It's really easy if you're even slightly handy
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Last edited by Acϵ♠ at Jan 11, 2016,
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Well you are right too, I just thought I'd add that the wax bit probably isnt super needed and you could probably use double sided tape (as per SDs guide) to keep it from moving around too much if youre in a pinch.

Just make sure the cover is a snug fit.

ah i didn't realise you could use tape. And I know some manufacturers say you don't need to pot if you know what you're doing (or if you only need lower gain tones).

that's what i get for talking about stuff i have no experience with
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Sorry for the lack of pictures, I'm just waiting for a decent camera. I recorded some sound clips recently, so look forward to that

And if anyone is interested, the wiring is as such: the two knobs closest to the neck are voume and tone for the neck pickup, the two back knobs are volume and tone for both the bridge and middle. The top switch simply toggles between each pickup.

I've given it some though and I just may keep the middle one. I started to pick up (no pun intended) on some of its subtleties, and it is nice in its own way. Meh, we'll see.