here is another question (they are never-ending in my head

i want to get a EL34 based rec. how different does throwing EL34's into a tremoverb or other rec sound compered to the stilettos? would it be close at all?

would throwing a 10 band in the loop help to change the voicing a little to make it more british? and similar.

i won't get to this for a while, i am working on getting a new computer and just bought two amps and a guitar in december.

so ATM my gear budget is tapped.

whatcha' think?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I'm not sure how the EL34s will sound with the TremOVerb and haven't seen/heard a lot of people doing this.

The discontinued Stiletto came with EL34s and was Mesa's take on the Brit tone, but beefier. The also discontined RA100 came with EL34s and sounded snarlier to me compared to the Stiletto, still have both. Where were you when GC/MF closed it out for 1100? I spammed various threads.

I believe the Road King II is the only current model in the rectifier series that's designed to take both the 6L6s and El34s in combination (haven't checked the Roadster specs but I'm sure somebody will pipe in).
Last edited by Ippon at Jan 7, 2016,
I can't speak too deeply on the subject of Rectifiers as I have never owned one. I would imagine though, that you'll get a bump in the midrange that typically comes along with EL34 tubes. Then of course, you have that weird option of E34L tubes which lean towards a 6L6 vibe - probably not recommended for your application. I would also imagine that cab selection would have in impact as well. A tighter sounding traditional slant cab will likely yield more of the british vibe than an oversized Mesa cab. Speaker selection too... the real British vibe comes from those greenbacks.

Whether or not that will get you in Stiletto territory, hard to say, because I really don't know!
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
recto's with EL34 tubes are not that great. I had a buddy that put them in his and took them out with in a month because he didn't like them
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Derek - no offense buddy but you have a lot of 'What ____? threads for someone who can't get anything now. It is a disease man.

But honestly, I can't tell if you are asking about whether or not it makes sense for you to get a different amp (to add to your massive collection) or if you just want to know how to get more british flair out of what you have.

I mean, your TremOVerb will already take EL34s so why don't you just try it?

I can't compare anything to the Stiletto because I never played one - at least not long enough to really form an opinion. I DO run EL34s in my RectoVerb and love them there. As a matter of fact, I just got done going back and forth extensively with 6L6s to see if I could form a final opinion on what I liked best and I've decided to stick with EL34s. The 6L6s I was using are farily new matched JJs from TubeDepot. The El34s are very old Mullards left over from when I got my Quick Rod and are probably not matched all that well TBH in addition to their age. To me, the EL34s just cut a bit better which to my ear - adds tightness. The amp already has so much available low end. I also run a Bad Monkey as a clean boost and I run a cheap Danelectro Fish n Chips EQ in the loop as well. I recently did a fairly close and live A/B with my Dano 6 band and my buddies 10 band MXR and we really could tell very little difference. TBH - I prefer the Dano (less space on my board, low noise -dare I say as quiet as the MXR- and the volume slider). I also did quite a bit of preamp tube rolling and ended up with all JJ 12AX7s and the JAN 5751 in the PI.

So, long story short is that all of the tone tweaking I've been doing the past week has left me with the above final configuration. Cab is a Mesa Slant Traditional with V30s.

Quote by Robbgnarly
recto's with EL34 tubes are not that great. I had a buddy that put them in his and took them out with in a month because he didn't like them

He didn't like the tone of the EL34s in general or is it possible he had some mediocre EL34s? Nothing against you or your friend's opinion obviously (you know I respect you highly) but I suspect that about 50% of stuff I read on forums about people not liking a certain amp or not liking a certain tube type could very well be a tube issue - vs a brand thing.

For example - how many times do we hear 'I don't like XYZ amp' when in fact what they meant to say was that they don't like the stock crappy chinese tubes and 'custom' speaker
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 9, 2016,
^ it is possible the EL34's were crap. he did it probably 9-10yrs ago and he always bought GT stuff. And honestly it was back before I knew much about gear in general except how to use it.

I didn't really like the tone then, but now that you mention it I wasn't a Marshall fan back then either and now all I own are Marshall sounding amps.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly

Really? EL34s or KT77s are the only way I'd run a Recto anymore, TBH. They help tighten up the lowend far more than I thought and add a little high mids to fill in the hollow areas of the Recto voicing.

Definitely won't turn it into a Marshall, though.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I own a Tremoverb and have it fitted with EL-34 tubes from Eurotubes. My choice was one of their standard refit kits.

Here are the pluses and the minuses:

Plus: Singing gain with humbuckers. Seriously, just beautiful singing midrange that satisfies every piece of your musical hard rock being. Both modern and vintage channels sound awesome with EL-34s in high gain mode. I don't have to tell you how awesome the natural reverb is on that amp, and coupled with the EL-34s the thing just sings on the vintage channel in high gain mode drenched in the reverb. Absolutely no regrets. I would put it head to head with the best 100 watt Marshall combos and win.

Minus: The tremoverb has a beautiful clean channel when fitted with 6L6s. You lose some of that when you move to EL-34s. Its still a nice channel, but with 6l6 tubes the cleans are really beautiful.

I keep the 34s in it because I choose hard rock midrange power over the alternative. Follow your own soul for your choice.
Quote by Seriden
I own a Tremoverb and have it fitted with EL-34 tubes from Eurotubes. My choice was one of their standard refit kits.

Here are the pluses and the minuses:

Plus: Singing gain with humbuckers. Seriously, just beautiful singing midrange that satisfies every piece of your musical hard rock being. Both modern and vintage channels sound awesome with EL-34s in high gain mode. I don't have to tell you how awesome the natural reverb is on that amp, and coupled with the EL-34s the thing just sings on the vintage channel in high gain mode drenched in the reverb. Absolutely no regrets. I would put it head to head with the best 100 watt Marshall combos and win.

Minus: The tremoverb has a beautiful clean channel when fitted with 6L6s. You lose some of that when you move to EL-34s. Its still a nice channel, but with 6l6 tubes the cleans are really beautiful.

I keep the 34s in it because I choose hard rock midrange power over the alternative. Follow your own soul for your choice.

Interesting. What brand of power tubes?
Quote by Ippon

JJ is all eurotubes sell
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Ippon

I believe they were JJ power tubes. Its easy enough to go check on their website however and verify. Check out the kits for the Tremoverb. I have replaced the tubes in 3 amps using their kits and been very happy. I chose gold pin for my classic 30, and for my express 25 I chose one of their higher gain kits. It brought out some better gain tones in that amp.
Quote by Ippon
^ Thanks!

Gracias! Never bought from them.

I've used them several times and I have always had good results
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Derek - no offense buddy but you have a lot of 'What ____? threads for someone who can't get anything now. It is a disease man.

But honestly, I can't tell if you are asking about whether or not it makes sense for you to get a different amp (to add to your massive collection) or if you just want to know how to get more british flair out of what you have.

i am just thinking of swapping some tubes around. the reason i asked and didn't just try it, is because i was planning to take the EL34's out of my MKIV and stick the 6L6's in it, and take the EL34's and stick them in the tremoverb. quite a bit of putzing around with out opinion.

i am not seeking another amp at the moment. however next will likely be a mesa MKiii (i have thought of it for a long time), or a carvin V3 or legacy. but i am going to wait. i am such an amp junkie .
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/