Guys I have been holding a EVH wolfgang special Japanese for the last 4-5 month. I am increasingly aware that the vintage frets on this guitar has been killing my playing quality and enjoyment and I am not really adapting. You think refretting the guitar with jumbos/x-jumbos is a good idea/option or else I should just get rid of it?
I am worried that I will screw up the guitar , so trying to gather info whether fret size change is really a good option...
If you can't play a guitar properly just because it has small frets, it isn't the frets that are the problem. It's your technique.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
might well be... but I feel better knowing LOTS of people (most better players than me I am sure) are having this trouble with vintage frets... on the other hand, I don't have anybody to correct my technique around, so I try to make life easier for the time being... better than giving up playing altogether I think....
I suspect the frets are not the issue, but rather the setup - get your guitar well setup by a tech as a first step. A refret is probably possible but not cost effective at all - I just had my Musicman Silhouette Special re-fretted and it was $400. In my case it was necessary as the frets had worn down over years of use, but on a new guitar it's a complete waste of money. Get a new guitar if the setup option doesn't work out.
that's hell of a reply thanks... I hope it wont cost that much really... its well set up as far as I am aware...
I suppose its the frets thats the issue (given that its set up by a well-regarded luthier). And I observe its an issue with most people who are used to modern jumbo frets... I don't feel too bad about it...
Quote by highwaystar30
I suppose its the frets thats the issue (given that its set up by a well-regarded luthier). And I observe its an issue with most people who are used to modern jumbo frets... I don't feel too bad about it...

don't feel bad.

you don't like vintage frets, so what?

the new mexi wolfgang special doesn't have those frets, so maybe look to trade it or sell it and go that route.

good luck.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
^ or at least try to find one in a shop to try- that way (assuming the guitar is more or less identical other than the frets- I haven't tried either) you can maybe get to the bottom of whether it is the frets which are the main cause of the problem.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah vintage frets are not my favorite either.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
hey there... I am certain the issue is the vintage frets... I tried the Mexican wolfgang...I observed that this is still a better guitar than the Mexican, so decided to keep this one despite the frets... (the Mexican wolfgang features Jumbos alright but they felt low quality to me)...
so in the end I will either sell this guitar or have it refretted if I am certain it doesnt ruin the instrument or wont be totally uneconomical... thanks for the suggestions
yeah if you know you love the guitar and feel the MIM isn't as good, then a refret might be worth it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by highwaystar30
hey there... I am certain the issue is the vintage frets... I tried the Mexican wolfgang...I observed that this is still a better guitar than the Mexican, so decided to keep this one despite the frets... (the Mexican wolfgang features Jumbos alright but they felt low quality to me)...

I'm not very good with low flat frets; I have a mid-50's Gibson LP with "fretless wonder" frets that I just don't play. Those things really weren't designed for the kind of bending we do routinely. Nice and smooth for jazz chording, though. I have a feeling that your Wolfgang frets are much higher than mine, though.

I'm not sure I understand how the frets on the Mexican Wolfgang felt "low quality."
They're probably exactly the same composition as the ones on your current guitar. They may, however need a bit of work. I bought an Agile B stock (AL2000 Floyd with finish issues) and found the jumbo frets a bit scratchy and I noticed that I was fretting out at the 16th fret when I bent a full stop. In the end, I handed the guitar to Gary Brawer (San Francisco tech), who superglued the frets and put the thing on the PLEK machine for an analysis and a run. Once the frets were perfectly level, he set up the guitar, but before doing that he did a final polish on the frets with the rough side of a thick piece of leather. The things were like mirrors. Action came right down to the deck, the Floyd does gorgeous "flutters' and any sharp fret edges were gone. It plays like a guitar 10-15X its cost.

The short of it is, don't dismiss the guitar because the frets don't feel as well maintained as those on another more expensive guitar.
Hey there thanks... EVH wolfgang special MIM features nickel frets , mine are SS - beyond that the build quality/material of the neck is superior in Japanese wolfgang. So its not only the frets, this guitar felt superior in many ways, so I stayed with it, despite the small frets. I hoped to get used to them. I can just sell it or have it refretted with Jumbos. I like the sound and the general feel... if I may mess it up by a refret, than I better let it go....
of course things are superior in the MIJ.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.