as the title says, i am looking for a jackson (for variety), i already own four ibanez prestiges, and want a jackson that can keep up with them.

the trem is the big issue. i need a decent floyd.
HH or HSH is fine, but i DO NOT want HSS.

i am only buying used, don't want to go over $700.

EMG's would be a plus, if they are something else, it will be getting SD black winters.

MIJ/MIA is a big thing for me. MIM isnt' terrible, but i prefer MIJ.

the more and more i think about it i don't need a trem.

here i am just looking for ideas, i won't have the cash up for a while. i just bought two amps and a ibanez prestige. so i am tapped atm in the gear fund.

what are your thoughts?

FYI i have owned a DKMG and a DKMGT, and a DXMG. all were mij and decent guitars, but not comparable to ibby prestiges.

Watcha' think?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
You've had MIJ Jacksons that you prefer, and most people adore, but you don't find them comparable to Prestiges? Any of those Jacksons were neck-through? There weren't many MIJ neck-throughs but that could be an option, since from what i've seen Prestiges are bolt-on.

I take it you won't like Indonesian Pro Jacksons. And for $700 you're not going to get a US Jackson.
Quote by dthmtl3
You've had MIJ Jacksons that you prefer, and most people adore, but you don't find them comparable to Prestiges?

This.

I find this logic a bit confusing. A good guitar is a good guitar. You'll probably have the best luck with a neck-through MIJ pro, but in my experience having played many RR5's, I find the DK2's to be comparable in quality after the Floyd on them has been changed and you put CTS pots in them.

You'll have to pay through the nose to get a USA Select or one of the early 90's professional series guitars as collectors have made their desirability shoot up.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 8, 2016,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
EMG's would be a plus, if they are something else, it will be getting SD black winters.

MIJ/MIA is a big thing for me. MIM isnt' terrible, but i prefer MIJ.

?

I own an Indonisian made Jackson RRMG and I gotta say I love it. I don't think you'd be disappointed at all with the quality coming out of there if mine is the standard. Try not to let that scare you off. Granted I've only played one Indonisian made Pro series...Anyways. Take a look at this cutie.

https://reverb.com/item/1501913-jackson-dinky-dk2mq-pro-2013-chlorine-burst?_aid=pla&currency=USD&pla=1&gclid=CK-ys-PhmcoCFQEaaQodCSgAxg
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Style is in the hands. Taste is in the hands. But tone? Tone is in the gear.
Quote by Baconjerky
So you want a MIJ Jackson HH with EMGs but not a DKMG? This is a silly topic.

The EMGs were a plus.

IF you're gonna get pickups changed and you don't need to have a bolt-on neck, go for a Soloist.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

You can try looking for a used SL1 and put a Hot Rails in the neck, but good luck with a $700 price tag for that unless you get super lucky.

That said, it sounds like you prefer Ibanez to Jackson. I don't know what else to tell you other than maybe get off the 'made in' hangup, because you're missing out on some nice guitars.

For around your price range, without me coming to your house and looking through the paper for you, you could go new with

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jackson-sl2-pro-soloist-quilt-maple-electric-guitar

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jackson-pro-dinky-dk2-electric-guitar

Other than that, you're gonna have to dig in your locals for something, man.

Also, I think you're confusing a guitar 'comparing' to a Prestige with 'feeling like' a Prestige. Build quality is not the same as overall feel, and if you prefer the feel of an Ibanez, no matter the quality of the Jackson, they're not going to feel as nice to you, even if the components are comparable/better. I had an SL1 years ago that I absolutely adored and had to sell to cover medical expenses, and even as mostly an Ibanez guy (until I built my Strat), I miss that guitar like crazy to this day. That said, it felt nothing like my Prestige, or any of my other Ibanez guitars did. They're going to feel different, strongly so, and that's not really a statement on the quality of the Jackson.

“We’re built of contradictions, all of us. It’s those opposing forces that give us strength, like an arch, each block pressing the next. Give me a man whose parts are all aligned in agreement and I’ll show you madness. We walk a narrow path, insanity to each side. A man without contradictions to balance him will soon veer off.”

silentfall.bandcamp.com
Last edited by an.interloper at Jan 8, 2016,
There was a MIJ Pro Series Jackson that fits what you describe (EMGs, Floyd, etc), I think it cost 1200-1300 Euros with a case right before Chushin went under - the SL3MG.

Should be about the same quality as the RR5, which I have and definitely would say is up there with the Ibanez Prestiges in the same price range.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
out of the very few i've tried i'd have said the neck-through pro series (MIJ) were probably closest to the prestiges I've tried. The USA jacksons are probably a bit up from the prestiges while the regular bolt-on MIJ Pros were probably a bit under.

EDIT: ^ good call i forgot about that one
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 8, 2016,
Quote by dthmtl3
You've had MIJ Jacksons that you prefer, and most people adore, but you don't find them comparable to Prestiges? Any of those Jacksons were neck-through? There weren't many MIJ neck-throughs but that could be an option, since from what i've seen Prestiges are bolt-on.

I take it you won't like Indonesian Pro Jacksons. And for $700 you're not going to get a US Jackson.

The thing that doesn't match up is the hardware, two had really shitty Floyds, the tuners weren't to my liking (i do realize that they are an easy and cheap mod). I also didn't like the passive EMG's on two of them, (yes they are an easy swap). The fretboard fit and finish.

It is a lot of small things, but they do add up.

I prefer bolt-on necks.

Either SD's and EMG'S are fine.

I like the DK2's on paper. I haven't played one that I remember.

One thing about most Jacksons is that the Floyds are shitty. I would prefer to buy a guitar with a good Floyd than spend a couple hundred dollars on a new/better trem.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Anyone know where those licensed Floyds were made?

People usually like the Gotoh tuners. I personally prefer Grover.

I've never heard anyone complain about fit and finish of the fretboard of MIJ Jacksons. Most of them didn't have neck binding and I'm not crazy about the light-colored rosewood they used. But otherwise to complain about the quality of the fretboard is unheard of.

The entire __MG series had active EMG pickups. Below that was some _X_ series also made in Japan. Looks like what you're looking for then is the MIJ Pro series which had 1000 Series Floyds. But then those aren't bolt-on.
The tuners you'll find on Jacksons are actually the same manufacturer that makes Wilkinson's tuners. So they're certainly not bad at all. It's just the Floyds on the Bolt-on MIJ's that are the problem. Once you change them, you're golden.

I personally think its well worth replacing the Floyd because the guitars can be had so stupidly cheap (for what they are) used that it easily makes up for the cost of putting a new floyd in them.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 8, 2016,
For this price point, and the fact that you are willing to live without a trem, I suggest a used Jackson SLSMG. They are getting harder to find now, but are really cool guitars in my opinion. Ebony fretboard, mohogany neck and body, soloist neck through body, made in Japan. Discontinued about 10 years ago. The newer models were made with EMG actives.

The used prices have been steadily going up on these. I bought one used about 6 years ago and it fills a necessary space in my arsenal. Here is one on e-bay, but may not be the one for you....keep an eye out: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jackson-MG-SLS-Super-Lightweight-Soloist-Electric-Guitar-/201452635964?hash=item2ee783473c:g:kHsAAOSwYHxWJo~y
here is some of good stuff (in my opinion)
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Jackson/RRMG-Pro-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar.gc
(used) i'm not really sure about the floydrose. but its indonesian
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jackson-Warrior-WRXMG-X-Series-Floyd-Rose-Electric-Guitar-Black-/141858599869
(used mint) (floyd special) (neck through)(mostly people said its made in india)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jackson-SL2-Pro-Soloist-Satin-Black-Electric-Guitar-Floyd-Rose-Seymour-Duncan-/401000584364
(used) not sure about floyd,not sure where it made,SD JB,59
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jackson-Shuriken-Rhoads-Guitar-22-Fret-FR-Duncan-Invaders-Red-Bevels-/291654408216#viTabs_0
(used mint) Modded pups(SD invaders) (made in india) (not sure about floyd)
Quote by Seriden
For this price point, and the fact that you are willing to live without a trem, I suggest a used Jackson SLSMG. They are getting harder to find now, but are really cool guitars in my opinion. Ebony fretboard, mohogany neck and body, soloist neck through body, made in Japan. Discontinued about 10 years ago. The newer models were made with EMG actives.

The used prices have been steadily going up on these. I bought one used about 6 years ago and it fills a necessary space in my arsenal. Here is one on e-bay, but may not be the one for you....keep an eye out: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jackson-MG-SLS-Super-Lightweight-Soloist-Electric-Guitar-/201452635964?hash=item2ee783473c:g:kHsAAOSwYHxWJo~y

10 years ago? Nah, they were available up until the Japanese factory closed in 2012.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.