The amp sounds awesome, but I noticed that I get way less gain than I heard on demos. On crunch channel, I get a slight breakup with maxed gain. The tubes are all stock marshall tubes. Should I replace V1 with a higher gain tube, or replace all of them with something better?
How are you using it? Do you keep it at a low volume and max the gain? Because that might lead to little or no power amp distortion. It's also possible that the demos you've heard use a boost pedal of some sort. The amp also has the ultra gain channel, you sure you're not mixing it up with the crunch?
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
I am not running it loud enough to get power tubes distortion, that`s obvious. Demo`s used no boost. I use the classic gain channel with the crunch engaged, but it gives me only a very slight crunch.
Quote by ArturPr
I am not running it loud enough to get power tubes distortion, that`s obvious. Demo`s used no boost. I use the classic gain channel with the crunch engaged, but it gives me only a very slight crunch.

As far as I can tell from demos, it only gives you a nice, smooth but low gain crunch even with a fair bit of power amp crunch. So with low volume you're going to get even less.

Hotter tubes might help a bit, but you might want to consider a new speaker as well. A more quiet speaker might let you crack it up more. And even though the demos don't feature a boost pedal, there's no reason you couldn't get an overdrive. You'd probably get better results for less hassle that way.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
The classic gain with crunch channel is not supposed to be very gainy. Though you could undoubtedly get it to distort harder by pushing it with an overdrive pedal up front.

Can't you just switch to the ultra channel to get enough gain? Or is there still not enough gain on that channel? That one should get all the way to thrash metal gain territories on its own, so if not, there may be something wrong.

Also, FWIW -- you don't need to push that amp to power-tube breakup to get a good tone; this is not a volume issue. And about putting "higher gain tubes" in it -- it runs on 12AX7 preamp tubes which are the highest gain preamp tubes already. That said, it may sound sweeter with upgraded tubes; I don't know what brand it comes with. But I wouldn't expect it to sound more gainy with different tubes.

Your best bet would be to get an overdrive pedal and boost the amp with it by placing it between the guitar and the amp input, and setting the gain on the pedal to zero and the level all the way up. This would help you get a little more overdrive and bite on the low-gain channel without changing the amp's tone too much.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by ArturPr

Maybe the demos had higher output pickups? It makes a big difference whether you run a '60s style single coil or an EMG81. Maybe try raising your pups a little?

About the tubes: It runs all ECC83s in the preamp, doesn't it? That's about as high gain as it gets for triodes used in guitar amps. There are differences between manufacturers, sure, but they are pretty slight. Imo a boost is usually the best way to get more overdrive.

Getting a couple of different ECC83s to try out isn't too expensive though and probably worth it to sate one's curiousity and to have some spares just in case.
I tried cranking it all the way to 8 and 10, but the crunch gets bassier and dirtier, getting a bit fuzzy. I will buy a hotter tube and place it in v1.

edit: I just saw the next reply, and yes, the amp uses ecc83, but there are hotter tubes like GT 12ax7 r3 or ecc83S. My main guitar is gibson sg with 490t in the bridge, the secondary has a quite hot schaller humbucker, but it still doesn`t drive it as much as in demos
Last edited by ArturPr at Jan 8, 2016,
This amp doesn`t like boosts on ultra gain channel too much, especially when I want a bit of gain on the boost pedal for tightening palm-mutes, it get horrible.
Boosting the crunch channel gives an awesome 80`s metal tone, it just lacks a bit of that preamp gain.
Quote by ArturPr
I tried cranking it all the way to 8 and 10, but the crunch gets bassier and dirtier, getting a bit fuzzy. I will buy a hotter tube and place it in v1.

edit: I just saw the next reply, and yes, the amp uses ecc83, but there are hotter tubes like GT 12ax7 r3 or ecc83S. My main guitar is gibson sg with 490t in the bridge, the secondary has a quite hot schaller humbucker, but it still doesn`t drive it as much as in demos

Like I said earlier, the differences between tubes are subtle. Try it, but don't expect too much.
the crunch channel is what it is. The ultra gain side is the side with a lot of gain. Changing the preamp tube will not make a big difference.
When I had/played this amp that was my biggest gripe. The distortion never really amounted to much and when it did it was just fizzy/fuzzy. I was not impressed with the take on the older DSLs. They left a lot to be desired. I do no think that swapping your preamp tubes will have that much of bearing.

On another note: what speaker are you using?
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Last edited by bobafettacheese at Jan 8, 2016,
The stock celestion 70/80. I plan to replace it with a celestion v30.
I can get some good sounds when keeping gain on the amp low (2 - 4) and using a DOD yjm308 with gain about half the way. Any more gain on the DOD makes the amp sound strange, like a video game from the 80`s

edit: I saw how Michael Angelo Batio uses dsl series amps, with low gain and using a tubescreamer will full gain, but in my case full gain on a boost pedal sounds lo-fi
Quote by ArturPr
I have heard that those new marshall branded tubes are, ehm, shit. Is this true?

don't know.

But on the subject of tubes there are only 3 or so tube manufacturing plants in the world and New Sensor owns 2 I know of (they also own most of the brand names these days) and Shuguang has the other.

This is a chart of modern 12ax7 and their out put ratings it may help you out.
www.tubesandmore.com/tech_corner/12ax7_comparison_of_current_made_tubes

I have an older JCM DSL100 head and I have a Mullard 12ax7 in V1, JJ ECC83 in V2/V3 and a Sovtek 12ax7LPS in the PI. I only run old SED EL34's in the power section. My amp sounds great on all channels

Your speaker isn't helping. If you want a V30 look at WGS or Avatar for a cheaper alternative
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jan 8, 2016,
don't necro
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/