Studio engineer to drummer: "Excuse me, do you think you could play with more dynamics?"
Drummer: "Whaddya mean, more dynamics?! I'm playing a loud as I can!!!"
From a pure energy standpoint, compression is interesting. Digital radio and TV use compression, especially TV, to fit more channels into the limited bandwidth available to broadcasters. And those broadcasts emanate from relatively few transmitters, and that piece of broadcast content is shared (picked up by) the household TVs and radios in range (or Satellite equivalent). Whereas streamed/downloaded content requires one piece of content being delivered per person ... that adds up to a lot of data crossing the Internet, hence consuming energy in data centres, routers between ISPs and so on.

Personally I can't hear the difference between uncompressed audio and compressed (at higher bit rates) ... probably as I have one ear making up its own continuous hisses of various frequencies due to some bastard drummer clouting a cymbal way too many times during a gig on a small stage. The resultant tinnitus has stayed with me 24/7 for the last 10 years.

But a mate of mine (drummer) was on tour, and he had fold back monitors either side of his head. During sound check, all good. But some idiot knocked the faders to max volume when the gig started. Completely destroyed his ears.

The things we do for our art! (And yes, I have really good ear protection now, but rubbish ones back then).
Last edited by jerrykramskoy at Jan 8, 2016,