Hello everyone
I am looking out for a new amp but I never really got into it and now I can't see the forest for the trees anymore. Some details that may help:
- I play a Gibson Les Paul Studio and sometimes Ibanez SA
- My current amp: Marshall MA50, not really happy about it. Bonus question: could it have to do with bad factory tubes?
- My band plays ska/hardcore, so I will need cleans. I als like to play bluesrock (Led Zep, Bonamassa), metal, 80' hard rock/heavy metal
- It will be used for rehearsal/gigging
- Sounds I love: Randy Rhoads, Jeff Loomis, Bonamassa
- Budget: under €1000 would be nice

Thanks in advance and rock on!
i would get my tubes checked before even thinking about changing the amp itself.
we'd kinda need to know why exactly you aren't happy with your current amp to steer you towards one you would be happy with. tubes could be an isue as could the speaker but again need more info
My current amp fails to deliver a decent sound to my opinion. How much tweaking I do, I never get a mediocre sound out of it. Playing a clean chord sounds as if my guitar is out of tune, even though it isn't and the strings aren't worn out. The distortion lacks depth and sounds, hmm, crumbly, broken. I don't seem to get a balanced, enjoyable sound out of it. It's harf to describe. The MA50 doesn't get the best reviews, but a lot of remarks are made on the factory tubes. So is the amp just not the best amp or is there something broken, is the question I can't answer.
Quote by nidhogh
Playing a clean chord sounds as if my guitar is out of tune, even though it isn't and the strings aren't worn out.

If it sounds out of tune, that's not going to be the amp (unless you've got chorus on there or whatever, I guess). Intonation?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by K33nbl4d3
If it sounds out of tune, that's not going to be the amp (unless you've got chorus on there or whatever, I guess). Intonation?

Could be a poorly cut nut causing this. Does it sound out of tune if you listen unplugged.

As for the amp you need to at least change the power tubes and if applicable get it biased and roll a preamp tube through all positions to see if one went bad if it really is that poor sounding.

How long have those power tubes been in there and how loud and often do you play it?
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
It's not the guitar. It sounds fine through my practice amp.
I've had the ma50 for 3 or 4 years now. Use it once in a week for rehearsal. As for loudness: the volume is about 1/4 open
Last edited by nidhogh at Jan 9, 2016,
Where are you from? I'm guessing Europe but where exactly?

Have you checked out Mesa amps? Particularly a Roadstar?
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
try new tubes first, but the MA amps were not that great at all. they replaced them with the new DSL series.

If that doesn't work, look into the Jet City JCA50h or JCA100h from thomann.de it will cover most of what you want well.

Joe B uses a Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 that is mic'd behind the wall of amps he has on stage

Jimmy Page has used a Soldano SLO before, and the Jet City is a budget Soldano and it will cover your hard rock and metal wants
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jan 9, 2016,
^ doesn't have amazing cleans though. other than that, they're kller for the money.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I use my cleans quite a lot for ska. Will look into it however since I never heard of them. Also, I am wondering if it is worth retubing the MA50. If it are the tubes, it still isn't all that good, and that is only if the tubes aren't ok.
Last edited by nidhogh at Jan 9, 2016,
Quote by nidhogh
I use my cleans quite a lot for ska. Will look into it however since I never heard of them. Also, I am wondering if it is worth retubing the MA50. If it are the tubes, it still isn't all that good, and that is only if the tubes aren't ok.

well it is ultimately your choice.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by nidhogh

i haven't tried the MA but I don't think it has the best rep

if cleans are super-important there are some jet cities which have better cleans- there's a new martin kidd-designed (ex-cornford) 20 watt head which supposedly has a cleaner clean channel, or there's the 50 watt 2x12 combo which supposedly has a fendery clean channel (but then you only get the crunch channel, I think, from the high gain heads- you lose the killer high gain channel, though I guess it's worth pointing out that it's effectively the same channel as the high gain one, just with one less tube gain stage).

it's up to you, really.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
From what I hear of the MA50 from a demo I do not know if it would be worth investing new tubes in. It sounds ~okay to me. A set of JJ's for the whole thing would not be super expensive but it is a solid chunk of money that could be put towards a new amp.

You could possibly get a new amp for cleans and use the MA50 for the "hardcore" and blues-rock/classic rock of your playing. Presuming the MA50 with fresh tubes sounds better.

If you do get new tubes, make sure you get a matched pair of EL34s (right?) and learn how to bias the amp properly.
Thanks for all the quick replies everyone! I'm going to look into the Jet City's or look out for a second hand Marshall JCM800 or 2000
Quote by nidhogh
Thanks for all the quick replies everyone! I'm going to look into the Jet City's or look out for a second hand Marshall JCM800 or 2000

if you go the Marshall route, go JCM2000 DSL 100 or 50 over the 800. The 2000 has a great clean, does the JCM800 tone and it can get more modern if you want.

JCM800's are nice, but they are not very versatile on the fly.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I agree the MA is mediocre at best. Sounds like a Marshall DSL would do what you want and do it well
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
MA's are piles of crap. Sell it and buy yourself a JCM2000 DSL.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The DSL 40c is a different amp. The JCM2000 (DSL100?) is different as well. I think Cathbard was referring to the JCM2000 DSL100, and in a budget of under but around 1k euros, you should be able to find one new, used even cheaper. You do need to get a proper matching cab for the JCM2000 DSL100, though.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 30, 2016,
yeah the JCM2000 DSL401 is a 40watt 1x12 open back combo. The DSL40c is the newer 40 watt closed back combo.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The 40c is okay, not as good as the older stuff
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
A Marshall DSL would play into your ballpark nicely. There's a nice DSL50 Special Edition with a 1960TV cab on 2dehands.be right now for 850.

There's an Orange AD30 with a nice 212 cab up somewhere for 850 as well, which could do a nice job also, but Jeff Loomis-type sounds would be out of range.

If you have some patience, an Orange Rockerverb or Thunderverb might be an option.

Typically, I'd say Marshall, Orange and the lesser known Mesa amps are really nice value. ENGL might not play into Bonamassa and the likes the best, but you can get some nice deals on those also. If a JCM800 can be an option, you can easily pick one up for under a grand.
^ Bonamassa uses a JCM2000 DSL100 live
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
^ Bonamassa uses a JCM2000 DSL100 live

I know he did at one point, but does he still? They're great amps regardless, though.
Quote by I K0nijn I
I know he did at one point, but does he still? They're great amps regardless, though.

last interview I read he explained that he runs one off stage mic'd and people just assume he is using one of the many vintage amps on stage. He said it was mostly because they sounded good and are wildly available anywhere so they can be fixed or replaced in just about any town.

and yeah they are my favorite Marshall amp I have ever tried
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jan 31, 2016,
Update: tried some amps but I will probably go for a JCM2000 DSL. Now, is there a lot of difference in sound between a DSL 100w head stack and a 40c? Someone told me it also is an option to add a Small 1x12 van to the 40c if I would like that.