Hi, i was wondering if it is ok to use other peoples tabs in mine?

I want to import a tab from someone else and make it more better and fix the mistakes.

Is that ok or is it breaking the rules? thank you.
I would say it is fine, providing you give credit where credit is due.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by Emperor's Child
I would say it is fine, providing you give credit where credit is due.

So how do i give credit?

When i looked at upload a guitar pro tab i did not see anywhere i can write stuff.
Well, to be honest, nobody can know if you have copied somebody's tab. Because what's correct is correct. If two people have good ears, their tabs of the same song would look exactly the same. If you see that the tab is otherwise correct, I don't see a problem with copying the correct parts. I mean, why would you need to tab those parts again if those parts in your tab would be similar any way? So yeah, just do it.

I don't think you really need to give credit. Again, you could have just come to the same conclusion as the original tabber. There is just one correct way of playing something and if the original tabber got certain parts right, there's no point in changing them. Again, even if you wrote your own tab in its entirety, it would end up looking the same when it comes to the correct parts in the other guy's tab.

But it kind of depends. If you just change one note, yeah, I would give credit to the original tabber. But if it's a clear improvement, then I don't think it's absolutely necessary.

Remember that the tab is not owned by anybody. It's just showing how to play somebody's music. There's really only one correct way to tab a song. It would be a bit different if you stole it from a tab book. But again, nobody can really prove it's stolen from a tab book, unless all the markings are exactly the same. As long as you are not making money out of it and the other people aren't making money out of it (and you are not stealing their art or something), I think it's not that big of a deal. Well, you can be a dick about it of course. So of course, give credit to others. That's just about being nice to others. But it's not absolutely necessary and I doubt anybody's really going to care.

Just my opinion.

I can't answer to your last question because I don't have Guitar Pro.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Jan 10, 2016,
I would always credit the original uploader if for no other reason than the fact that our community relies on sharing and contributions. If we're all completely selfish then no-one will benefit.

You never know, the original uploader may be very grateful of the help/constructive criticism.
Kashmir of the 90's!
Quote by The_Rock_Band_K
So how do i give credit?

When i looked at upload a guitar pro tab i did not see anywhere i can write stuff.

Open the Guitar Pro tab and press F5 or look for Score Information.
Kashmir of the 90's!
It's a bad idea because it carries on all the mistakes made by the previous tabber, especially in tracks you don't intend to improve. If there's noticeable mistakes in the lead, there's more than likely mistakes all over the place so if you really want a good/flawless tab, the only way to do it is from scratch.
"I don't think you really need to give credit. Again, you could have just come to the same conclusion as the original tabber. "

I'm ok with you using certain parts that are good. But just because you are going to come the "some" of the same conclusions they came to does not mean you can decide to not credit them. Yes, well all know that there are certain "proper" ways to find the notes.

That's the whole point! We all know how to find the notes, there is a system. So the only thing different is that he PUT THE TIME IN to give you a base to start with. You can't just steal that. Like seriously? Even if you're like "well I could figure it out if I wanted to" YOU DIDNT. Period. SO thats why you give the guy credit. Because he worked hard to give everyone a tab they wanted. Regardless of if there are mistakes. How hard is it to put the guys username in the footnotes? I mean seriously?...
If you knew music theory and could tab the song yourself, why would you even use someone else's tabs that you said yourself have mistakes..???
I would definitely give the original tabber some of the credit, because you ARE using some of HIS material to help you. Material that he most likely spent a great deal of time writing out!
Has anyone else needed to cut away hard skin on your fingertips with a nail clipper, just because you've played that much?