Post any advice you can think of for moving to a different state.

Tips on how to find a job, find housing, actually making the move, etc. are all welcome. I really want to move out of Ohio by the end of 2016. Places I am thinking right now are Chicago, California (L.A. area), Colorado (Denver area), Memphis, Arizona, mostly because I know people who live in those places. Other suggestions are welcome, too.

I don't have any major qualifications (I have a bachelors in music performance, RIP) but I have never had a problem getting entry-level jobs because I interview well and have a solid work history.
get yerself a fog machine
Quote by theguitarist
next day i was like "why is my dick sore"

and my brain was like "you were dicking about for like 5hrs"

Whatever happened to that kid who moved to Australia.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Tip: Cars require gasoline. Gasoline can be found at gas stations. Gas stations can be found all over the place.
I moved to Colorado, around Denver. You're going to need a decent amount saved up. I subleased an apartment to get my bearings. Worked out really well but make sure your shit is sorted with the original renter well before move out day

Job market can be tough. I just loaded my car up so I can't help you on the moving stuff
Last edited by whywefight at Jan 8, 2016,
Quote by whywefight
I moved to Colorado, around Denver. You're going to need a decent amount saved up. I subleased an apartment to get my bearings. Worked out really well but make sure your shit is sorted with the original renter well before move out day

How long was it between you signing a lease and moving in? Also how much money would you recommend I have saved up?

also thanks J Garc. I knew I could count on you, bud
Denver if youre a stoner for sure
Memphis probably has the cheapest cost of living
Quote by theguitarist
next day i was like "why is my dick sore"

and my brain was like "you were dicking about for like 5hrs"

Yeah what whywefight said. Make sure you've got more than 5k saved up so you don't go crawling back.

Also cut down on alcohol.
go down souf for cheapest cost of living. stay the fuck away from chicago (srry jay)

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
go down souf for cheapest cost of living. stay the fuck away from chicago (srry jay)

What would you say is the best cost of living:culture ratio? By culture I mean local music, cuisine, art etc.
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
How long was it between you signing a lease and moving in? Also how much money would you recommend I have saved up?

also thanks J Garc. I knew I could count on you, bud

About two weeks I think? And it depends I guess. I had four grand saved up and I used a good deal of it before my income stabilized but take into account that I'm stupid and didn't start applying for part time jobs until about a month and a half in and I got the first part time job I applied for. I assumed part time jobs would be harder to come by than full time jobs because I live in a college town but nah I guess, it's the full time positions that are really selective. Also I spent a bunch of that money on recording equipment. No regrets

So basically yeah I'm stupid
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
What would you say is the best cost of living:culture ratio? By culture I mean local music, cuisine, art etc.

Some people may disagree but out of the places I've been, LA has been the best. People say LA is expensive but it's really not if you live in some of the "rougher" or ethnic neighborhoods/boroughs. LA is not just a city but a big county with huge pockets of variety in wealth.

LA has a tremendous variety of great food / culture around the world for cheap if you know where to go. And art.... no brainer there it's the entertainment capital of the world. You can get cheap as hell groceries from Food 4 Less

Car is probably the most expensive part because of gas and parking. But as I went in October, I realized you may even be able to get away with just having a bike... or maybe ride a motorcycle... traffic is indeed horrendous. Rent is cheaper than what I can get in Boston / NYC / DC.

The only part I'm not certain about is the state of the job market. It is ultra competitive for creative / entertainment jobs obviously...

My gf and I would love to move there. But the water situation gets me nervous

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Jan 8, 2016,
Quote by chrismendiola
culture i barely know 'er

it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
good time to get rid of stuff you don't really need or want anymore. less to move, is good, moving with next to nothing, even better. Especially if you don't have a plans laid out before you leave.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Some people may disagree but out of the places I've been, LA has been the best. People say LA is expensive but it's really not if you live in some of the "rougher" or ethnic neighborhoods/boroughs. LA is not just a city but a big county with huge pockets of variety in wealth.

LA has a tremendous variety of great food / culture around the world for cheap if you know where to go. And art.... no brainer there it's the entertainment capital of the world. You can get cheap as hell groceries from Food 4 Less

Car is probably the most expensive part because of gas and parking. But as I went in October, I realized you may even be able to get away with just having a bike... or maybe ride a motorcycle... traffic is indeed horrendous. Rent is cheaper than what I can get in Boston / NYC / DC.

Thanks I kinda already knew this haha, I was thinking more like New Mexico, AZ or Texas. I've been set on LA for years now. Distant admirer and all that.

The only part I'm not certain about is the state of the job market. It is ultra competitive for creative / entertainment jobs obviously...

That's something I read quite a bit about. Most people tell you to budget for 6 months, maybe even more, of unemployment. Though we're in different departments on this front.
The only worth-while place in Chicago is Lakeside, and that are is expensive as fuck.

My wife and I are considering moving to Cincinnati. I've been to a few games there, a couple concerts, and did by bachelor party there. That town is a ton of fun and isn't populated with the new age hippy movement that plagues Madison. Secondary pick is Portland, Maine. Although skeptical of that because it sounds too much like Madison.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by chrismendiola
Garcia

Wouldn't wanna be ya

i liked the bright blue illegible font better
Everything is going to cost a lot more. You need first, last, security, probably a job that makes you 2.5 times your rent. Try finding a job that covers relocation. I've moved across covey l country several times, and being cooped up in a uhaul for three days with two pissed off cats is the worst.
Last edited by MakinLattes at Jan 9, 2016,
Quote by Xiaoxi

quality post

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
bring weed
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

South Carolina Gamecocks

Quote by SGstriker
Chef Strato-Massacre: Cooking shitstorms since that comment.

Quote by PurpleClawz
Damnit why are you full of so much win