So heres the story. i have a line 6 spider iv 30 and a prs tremonti se. im not super happy about the amp and the sound im getting so i went to gc and was looking at amps.
-i like to play alternative and indie rock (arctic monkeys mostly)
-i liked the sound of the orange amps but i only tried the 60w solid state with speaker
-the only problem is i was playing it with a fender strat and loved the sound.
- i have 700 dollar budget
any suggestions?
Randall RM20, Egnater Rebel, Peavey Valveking/Classic or Vox AC15.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
does my room count as a gig? no i only gig for myself.
i would like to gig in the future and i do not want to have to keep buying amps.
i live in Arizona.
thanks!
Quote by joeshmeph99
are orange heads good?

Tube ones, yes. Solidstate, junk.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
+1 vote for a vox ac15 or ac30, they will cover overdrive sounds really well, and I love the cleans too, but it's no fender. If you do this, avoid the hybrid amps, get a full tube one. Should be within your price range since you are in the US.

Regarding the orange heads, you'll need to be more specific, orange make more than one amp head.
^ Probably a load of crap

Gear

PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Squier Strat
Washburn D10SCE

Vox AC30C2
Roland MicroCube
Fender frontman 15G
Last edited by MTolly at Jan 9, 2016,
Vox AC series amps are fantastic for alt/indie music. Boost pedal out front will get you close to old-school Marshall gain territory.

You could also look into the Peavey Classic Series or Fender Hot Rod Series. The Fender Bass Breaker series of amps seem to be getting some good reviews as well. The 15w combo model would be within your budget.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Orange make nice tube amps but you should also look at the Vox AC15

Here is a Orange Tiny terror 1x12 combo for $500
www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Orange-Amplifiers/TINY-TERROR-COMBO-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp.gc

here is an AC15 for $399
www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Vox/AC15C1-15W-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-111669281.gc
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by joeshmeph99
is 15 watts good enough to gig with?

some bands get away with 15watt amps like the AC15 just fine.

But here is an AC30 for $599. It would be an excellent amp for what you want and it is plenty loud for band use

www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Vox/AC30CC2-2X12-30W-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp.gc
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
you already know this from what you said in your opening post, but if you loved the sound of the strat it might be worth considering going down that route, in addition to the new amp (maybe sell your current guitar?).

+1 to what they're all saying about the amps, good selection suggested by all
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Fender Mustang IV (v2) 2x12 and enough time and the inclination to umleash the Amp's Magic found in the Advanced Amp features. The majority of the 100 default Memory Presets are overdone. Many never get past the defaults and basic parameters to discover the real capabilities of the amp. If you want an out of the box plug and play amp don't get a Mustang. If you're willing to venture through the learning curve the Mustang can be outstanding. The free bundled Fender FUSE software gives access to thousands of downloadable Presets. There are some very good Presets available from thr FUSE online community. If you have Android get the REMUDA App from the Google Play store!
Mustang v2 III/IV●EXP-1●FUSE●REMUDA●Yamaha THR10C
Epi LP Florentine Pro●LP Cstm Pros●LP PlusTop Pro●Sheraton-II Pro
Cstm Strat Vntg Noiseless●Guild D-55
So Creek Cables●BOSS RC-1●RS7500
D'Addario Strings●Vari-Grip●Planet Lock Straps
Sounds like the AC30 is a winner. And maybe invest in a Strat
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
+1 on the Vox. Hard to beat for what you are looking for.

I did poke into the Phoenix craigslist but didn't see anything that really popped out at me outside of a used Fender Twin. And although I probably would not recommend it to someone who can afford better there was a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 on there for $275. Great price for such a wonderful kit.
I gig with a 20W amp quite a lot. I just run it like a wedge, really close to me and hang a mike in front of it for FoH and foldback for the other guys. In fact they can usually hear me just fine straight off the amp. That's an RM20 btw.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thank you guys for your help. I went and spent 5 hours in gc looking at amps and got a Vox 15 watt tube amp.
Nice choice. Now get yourself an angled amp stand that gets it off the ground.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by joeshmeph99
Thank you guys for your help. I went and spent 5 hours in gc looking at amps and got a Vox 15 watt tube amp.

Titties
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by joeshmeph99

sweet
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?