Even though I ordered this one on first, I actually got my hands on The Eggplant of Doom earlier because it was in a store only a few miles from my house.

Still...worth the wait.

I've been wanting a Godin of some kind for some time. I've tried out Sessions, Progressions, SDs, Kingpins and more. Even though each one I tried impressed me, there was always a good reason not to buy: timing was bad, not enough money at the moment, etc. Never the guitars' fault, though- liked every last one of them.

One I had looked at many a time was the Richmond* Belmont. But I kept passing on them...and now Godin has discontinued them. So I started scoping them out on eBay and Reverb.

Then I saw one unlike every other one I had seen: it had a black pickguard, not white. It was also cheaper than almost any I'd found. I was worried it was someone's home-made copy or some such, so I contacted Godin. They said that black pickguards were a legit option, but one not commonly chosen.

So I looked at it with its Trans burgundy finish and black pickguard, it REALLY captured that SG vibe...for under $400.

...and here it is:

It's essentially the lovechild of a SG and a Fat Strat. From the SG, it gets the 24.75" scale, 12" fingerboard radius, the overall bodystyle (in mahogany), and a hard tail.** From the Strat, it gets a rock solid bolt-on neck plus a 5-way selector hooked up to a SD '59 in the bridge and matching SD Lipsticks in the middle & neck positions.

The neck is relatively slender, with a satin finish. VERY friendly. Kluson tuners, too.

The '59 is my favorite SD HB, and it does not disappoint here, either. Very nice rock tones in positions 5 & 4. Meanwhile, the Lipsticks deliver familiar singlecoil tones, but- to my ear, at least- with a bit rawer sound than you get out of your standard Strat pickups. More jangle and edge, perhaps?

Which is great, because I bought this guitar to learn and play slide (in Open G?). I want some grit & edge. And this guitar is just rude enough to play nice...until its time not to be nice.

* Richmond was a subsidiary of Godin that eventually just got folded into the company.

** there is also a version with a Bigsby.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Can't lie, I saw it was you and automatically read the headstock as saying "Reverend"

Really nice looking guitar! How are the lipsticks? Always wanted a set of those on a Strat...

HNGD
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Nice score! Really pretty looking guit box for sure. HNGD

FWIW EC played a 335 on the recorded version of crossroads though! Also live it was the Firebird but I still appreciated the thread title and got the pun
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Jan 9, 2016,
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Can't lie, I saw it was you and automatically read the headstock as saying "Reverend"

Really nice looking guitar! How are the lipsticks? Always wanted a set of those on a Strat...

HNGD

Liking the Lipsticks. They're not as smooth as the singlecoils you get in a typical Strat. Someone on another board claimed they're basically the same design as the Lipsticks you find in Danelectro guitars. So think of the difference between the tones Jimmy Page used to get out of his Danos compared to the sounds you'd hear from his Strat-slinging contemporaries.

FWIW, Fender did a limited edition Strat with (I think) these same SD Lipsticks, and they sounded good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez1ViRvOQqg&sns=em
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 9, 2016,
Quote by dspellman
Penultimate?

Yeah.

I purchased the Godin Belmont just days before I bought the Reverend Sensei RA, which was purchased on Dec. 30. So technically, it was my next to last gear purchase of 2015.

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Nice score! Really pretty looking guit box for sure. HNGD

FWIW EC played a 335 on the recorded version of crossroads though! Also live it was the Firebird but I still appreciated the thread title and got the pun

Yeah, but now I may have to go down to the Crossroads to learn slide!

Think of me less as Eric Clapton, and more like Ralph Macchio.

youll need another tele clone if you wanna be Ralph!
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I don't wanna BE Ralph. I just have to go through the same "Hero's Journey".

Steve Vai's gonna kick my ass, though.

very nice
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
danny - you jerk! (joking) making me want another guitar

that looks really nice! looks like a helluva guitar for not too much coin.

congrats
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
When they were in production, the hardtails were @$800, and they come in a translucent burgundy or black wash finish. The Bigsby equipped ones- all in Laurentian white with a black pickguard- were @$850-900.

Right now, I'm seeing the NOS ones about $100 off new, and used ones between $350-650, depending on a variety of factors. The cheaper ones seem to be mostly from more-motivated sellers...IOW, guitar hoarders like myself.

For example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Godin-Richmond-BELMONT-LAURENTIAN-WHITE-High-Gloss-PROTOTYPE-One-Of-A-Kind-/221989747340?ul_ref=http%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F0%2Fe11021.m43.l3160%2F7%3Feuid%3D83bbeeef366b4225a6cf485398195c04%26loc%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fcgi.ebay.com%252Fws%252FeBayISAPI.dll%253FViewItem%2526item%253D221989747340%26srcrot%3De11021.m43.l3160%26rvr_id%3D0

https://reverb.com/item/1183409-richmond-belmont-burgundy

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GODIN-RICHMOND-Awesome-BLACK-WASH-FINISH-DUNCAN-PICKUPS-BEST-OF-NAMM-SHOW-A-Buy-/151943785327?hash=item23608e2b6f:g:LsIAAOxyF0pTgeuA

Honestly, for Canadian/US-made guitars of this quality, that's theft.

And yes, this is one of those that I'm seriously considering picking up a duplicate of. And despite my hoard, I don't often do that.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 10, 2016,
A Strat and an SG had a child! HNGD
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Completely predictable: I found a Trans-black wash one with the black pickguard for $450, and pulled the trigger on it. It should arrive some time next week.

It looks so evil, I may swap the pickups out to metallize it a bit more. A Deathbucker in the bridge and Alumitones in the middle & neck (all 3 in black) should do the trick.

How is the neck on it? I just found a Dorchester with a bigsby for sub $400.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7(*for sale*)
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
^^ Lol
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Belmont neck- which i believe to be similar to the Dorchester- is a medium C, flattish radius and a satin finish. VERY nice.

Welp, got my hands on the 2nd Belmont I ordered today...and returned it. There was some weird damage to the pickguard around the center pickup. When I plugged in, there was something obviously wrong- a huge dropoff in sound in any position involving that middle pup. Don't know if it was the pickup or the wiring or both, but didn't want to find out.

However, in the process of doing the return, I found a nice new and discounted Roadrunner case (for my first Belmont, which shipped in a gig bag), and a Catalinbread EchoRec. Picked them both up, and still had money refunded, so, on balance, not a bad day.

Looks lovely, I like!
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Thanks!

yeah if there's something wrong and you can return it that's normally the best plan. it's annoying but you can get into a whole pile of trouble if you mess around trying to get it fixed if you don't have to...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?