When I boost my marshall dsl40 with a dod yjm308, it sounds horrible, like 8 bit video games.
Settings on the amp: GAIN 3 ALL EQ 6 PRES 3 RES 5 TONE SHIFT IN.
using ultra gain channel on lead 1.
Settings on booster: VOL MAXED GAIN 12 O CLOCK

What is causing such a horrible tone?
Set the gain on the pedal to zero/lowest audible setting but keep the volume dimed and try again.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Lower the gain on the pedal, possibly use the channel with lower gain on the amp.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
You clearly don`t have a DOD yjm308. Setting gain lower will lower the volume too. I need to try out a tubescreamer type thingy. But what is causing the harshness and horrible tone? I saw people using tubescreamers will full gain boosting an overdriven marshall.

edit: also, my DOD is locked at full volume cause it had a broken pot so I just shorted it to get full volume
Last edited by ArturPr at Jan 9, 2016,
Quote by ArturPr
You clearly don`t have a DOD yjm308. Setting gain lower will lower the volume too. I need to try out a tubescreamer type thingy. But what is causing the harshness and horrible tone? I saw people using tubescreamers will full gain boosting an overdriven marshall.

edit: also, my DOD is locked at full volume cause it had a broken pot so I just shorted it to get full volume

most people don't use a boost with the gain maxed, they use them like has been said gain 0, volume max, tone to taste.

You could have one or more bad pre amp tubes, that would be my first guess. So If I were you get a few 12ax7 tubes and put them in. JJecc83 are a good cheap tube to try in the amp.

Also when using a boost with my amps I almost always use a noise gate to cut the squealing out.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
most people don't use a boost with the gain maxed, they use them like has been said gain 0, volume max, tone to taste.

You could have one or more bad pre amp tubes, that would be my first guess. So If I were you get a few 12ax7 tubes and put them in. JJecc83 are a good cheap tube to try in the amp.

Also when using a boost with my amps I almost always use a noise gate to cut the squealing out.

+1 to all this. Especially regarding the pedal settings. I haven't tried an overdrive pedal yet that doesn't sound like shit when you turn its gain up -- including the Tubescreamer I owned. Not saying there aren't some good ones out there -- I just haven't tried one. It's best to use them to push natural tube overdrive without adding much of their own clipping.

If that DOD doesn't work with the gain zeroed, I'd look into a different OD pedal. Even with the gain on the pedal turned down to zero your signal should still be just as loud with the level maxed. It will still make your amp have more gain as well, so expect to have to turn your amp gain down a bit.
Quote by ArturPr

Sure you did that right?
Quote by ArturPr

assuming it's similar to the distortion+ (the circuit is almost identical), i'm gonna say he's right. if you set the drive to zero on those, you're barely at unity gain (in fact probably a good bit below), and you also need to raise the drive knob a bit to cut the bass. and they can sound a bit spiky if you're not careful as they have no tone knob. it wouldn't hurt to try some of the amp setting suggestions posted, but regarding the pedal setting suggestions... i'm not sure that's going to work. EDIT: try the drive at 10-11 o'clock, that's normally where i set mine. i dunno exactly how close the dod sounds, but that's where i set mine to get a balance between enough boost and drive and it not going into flabby fuzz.

it can and has been used as a boost by quite a few (often more old-school) players, but they're a bit crude compared to a tubescreamer, sd1, or one of the more modern flatter mids type pedals like a timmy etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 9, 2016,
Quote by ArturPr

Yup, pick up a screamer type pedal. I like the Bad Monkey. Get whatever fits your budget. I had the YJM-308 and the DOD 250... I hated them as boost pedals for higher gain amps. They just sound bad if used like a screamer in front of higher gain amps. They make for a nice overdrive through a clean amp, or to add a little extra heat to a very lightly overdriven amp, but that's it. Got rid of them almost as quickly as I got them.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Last edited by ThunderPunk at Jan 9, 2016,
Quote by Robbgnarly

I came here to say this.
Quote by ThunderPunk
Yup, pick up a screamer type pedal. I like the Bad Monkey. Get whatever fits your budget. I had the YJM-308 and the DOD 250... I hated them as boost pedals for higher gain amps. They just sound bad if used like a screamer in front of higher gain amps. They make for a nice overdrive through a clean amp, or to add a little extra heat to a very lightly overdriven amp, but that's it. Got rid of them almost as quickly as I got them.

yeah i quite like mine into a crunchy amp, sort of set to boost a bit and also add some dirt of its own, it does a nice vintagey-type tone that I like, but it's only useful for certain things. it's a bit of a one trick pony, really.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?