It's been a while since I last did one of these!
I mainly made this to test out my new Dingwall NG2, but halfway through recording, I thought I'd try to do it properly

Gear used was:
Dingwall NG2
Schecter Omen Extreme 7
Sansamp RBI
Line 6 UX1
Dingwall Stainless Steel Strings
D'Addario Guitar strings (10-52 + .66)

Software:
Mixcraft 7 (DAW)
Toontrack EZDrummer 2 (Metal! EZX) (VSTi)
EZMix 2 (VST)
PodFarm 2.5 (Soldano model) (VST)
NI Supercharger (VST)
EasyQ (VST)

Any feedback appreciated!

EDIT: How the fuck did I forget to include the actual link?
HERE IT BE
Last edited by CorrosionMedia at Jan 9, 2016,
The Dingwall sounds badass. So you're using a rack version of a sansamp bass driver? I only have a free sansamp plugin

I like the mix overall, I could hear everything clearly. Only gripe is that it sounded kind of, how could I describe it, crowded? The guitars were a bit too much "in your face" and it felt like the instruments didn't have much room of their own, I'm really not sure if I can describe this with any sense but it kind of felt like the tracks were cramped too much to the same space. Maybe I just like mixes with more stereo image and less compression?

Anyway, it still sounded really cool, I'm still wondering how people get those tones out of a pod farm when my pod HD sounds so weak
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by Kevätuhri
The Dingwall sounds badass. So you're using a rack version of a sansamp bass driver? I only have a free sansamp plugin

I like the mix overall, I could hear everything clearly. Only gripe is that it sounded kind of, how could I describe it, crowded? The guitars were a bit too much "in your face" and it felt like the instruments didn't have much room of their own, I'm really not sure if I can describe this with any sense but it kind of felt like the tracks were cramped too much to the same space. Maybe I just like mixes with more stereo image and less compression?

Anyway, it still sounded really cool, I'm still wondering how people get those tones out of a pod farm when my pod HD sounds so weak

I seriously love this bass. The rack RBI is great! I generally use it with one set of settings which I adjust slightly depending on the bass. The only one I keep constant are the XLR out and the blend (3 'o' clock).

Thanks! I like to keep my mixes as clear as possible, sometimes at the sacrifice of it sounding a bit crowded or sometimes empty.
I definitely did use too much compression though, and the guitars were too low and the bass too high, but then I did write it as a bass demo :P

The way I get that PF tone is a combination of luck and and time. It's taken me years to get that patch to sound good, but now I don't wanna touch it!
In essence, it's just the soldano model, the v30 4x12 with some other stuff.
I also find it hard to do stuff with my HD500. I tend to mainly use it for FX because of that!

Here's one I did come up with though. If you have a SC account, send me a PM and I'll tell you the details if you like
https://soundcloud.com/corrosionmedia/line-6-hd500x-metal-tone-test

Thanks for the feedback!
I'll have to play around with the Soldano model then, I've used the Line 6 Doom a lot lately, but it's not great for those really heavy tones. And my Reaper bugs out with the POD very often, resulting in a crash, so I've been doing most of my recordings with a direct signal, which is nice but I'm still learning the quirks of amp sim plugins.

I did check out the tone test, but it might not be the kind of metal tone I'm after. I'm trying to get that kind of medium-high gain tone that's heavy but still clear and "modern".

And it does work well as a bass demo, and I am a bit envious about that Dingwall Were you introduced to the brand by Nolly from Periphery btw?
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by Kevätuhri
I'll have to play around with the Soldano model then, I've used the Line 6 Doom a lot lately, but it's not great for those really heavy tones. And my Reaper bugs out with the POD very often, resulting in a crash, so I've been doing most of my recordings with a direct signal, which is nice but I'm still learning the quirks of amp sim plugins.

I did check out the tone test, but it might not be the kind of metal tone I'm after. I'm trying to get that kind of medium-high gain tone that's heavy but still clear and "modern".

And it does work well as a bass demo, and I am a bit envious about that Dingwall Were you introduced to the brand by Nolly from Periphery btw?

One of the reasons I like the Soldano is that it doesn't hog the low end. Although having a lot of low frequencies sounds great playing on your own (I turn them up a bit when practicing), it's the kind of thing that really kills the mix. I keep the drive at 6/11 (56%) too which stops it getting too mushy.

Also, have a look at EZMix and the Colin Richardson pack. Some of the tones in there (especially 'Throaty' and 'Rocker') sound awesome!

I know it sounds cliche, but have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling REAPER?
I've never been able to get to grips with the interface, but it did genuinely help when I had crashes.

Know what you mean about the HD500 track - It's a bit too bass heavy for me and doesn't have enough midrange punch, and that's after a fuck load of EQ!

I think I first heard about Dingwalls from Nolly's Make Total Destroy headstock cam (also the first Periphery video I watched) and I was totally hooked. I also want to get a Darkglass B7k, but that would have to wait until I've recovered from getting the NG2! :P
I'm really GASing for a 6 string version of this , but If I had that kind of money, I'd have bought a top spec Mac first instead.
Oh, I love being poor...
Quote by CorrosionMedia
One of the reasons I like the Soldano is that it doesn't hog the low end. Although having a lot of low frequencies sounds great playing on your own (I turn them up a bit when practicing), it's the kind of thing that really kills the mix. I keep the drive at 6/11 (56%) too which stops it getting too mushy.

Also, have a look at EZMix and the Colin Richardson pack. Some of the tones in there (especially 'Throaty' and 'Rocker') sound awesome!

I know it sounds cliche, but have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling REAPER?
I've never been able to get to grips with the interface, but it did genuinely help when I had crashes.

Know what you mean about the HD500 track - It's a bit too bass heavy for me and doesn't have enough midrange punch, and that's after a fuck load of EQ!

I think I first heard about Dingwalls from Nolly's Make Total Destroy headstock cam (also the first Periphery video I watched) and I was totally hooked. I also want to get a Darkglass B7k, but that would have to wait until I've recovered from getting the NG2! :P
I'm really GASing for a 6 string version of this , but If I had that kind of money, I'd have bought a top spec Mac first instead.
Oh, I love being poor...

I actually haven't tried uninstalling it. The problem started when I got a new laptop, maybe I could also check that I have the correct drivers

And damn, that bass is sweet... Maybe I'll get enough money in the next ten years or so
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail