What get's your vote new or old to fit this criteria? I'm thinking something that is pretty versatile, solid state so no need to worry about tubes and such. I want the amp to be lightweight and easy to lug around gig to gig. I know I would be sacrificing some tone but I'm willing to work with that.

What you guys think?
Jackson DK2
1962 Fender Esquire
PEAVEY JSX 212
PEAVEY 6505+ 112
A floor modeling board of your choice, some class-D poweramp and a cab loaded with neodymium speakers?

Far as speakers go, I can recommend the Jensen Tornado, amazingly versatile and light (bit pricey though).

EDIT: That said, there's a plethora of small (tube) amp heads out there by now which are designed to be small and easy to transport. So if modellers don't appeal to you, that's also an option.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Jan 9, 2016,
With no budget, AxeFX or Kemper.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Fender Mustang IV (v2) 2x12.
Mustang v2 III/IV●EXP-1●FUSE●REMUDA●Yamaha THR10C
Epi LP Florentine Pro●LP Cstm Pros●LP PlusTop Pro●Sheraton-II Pro
Cstm Strat Vntg Noiseless●Guild D-55
So Creek Cables●BOSS RC-1●RS7500
D'Addario Strings●Vari-Grip●Planet Lock Straps
Fender Mustang, Roland Cube, and Vox Valvetronix are all pretty musical SS amps worth a look. Hate to gig without a few glowing bottles in there tho.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Worrying about tubes is half the fun!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by Cajundaddy
Fender Mustang, Roland Cube, and Vox Valvetronix are all pretty musical SS amps worth a look. Hate to gig without a few glowing bottles in there tho.

Tubes aren't the reliability issue they're made out to be, really. And if something does go wrong with a tube amp, you have a decent shot at guessing what it is. On the other hand, if you're looking for jack-of-all-trades, it's got to be modelling.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
To play what music?
If it's high gain then it has to be an Ampeg VH104C (or the Crate GX130C)
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^+1

I have been using an Ampeg VH140C since I bought mine in 1996. It has been very reliable, and for high gain, I seriously doubt there is a solid state amp that'll do better. Of course that is if you have a budget. You can usually find those relatively cheap. If money is no object, then a high end modeling amp might be a better choice. The Ampeg will get you metal, and '80s hard rock just fine, but when you start getting into classic rock tones and blues, it starts to fall a little short, but with those styles of music, you'd be better off either with a tube amp or modeling amp.
Gibson Les Paul 60s Tribute
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
if you dont need high gain, or want a good pedal platform, it will be hard to beat a quilter

http://www.quilterlabs.com
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
^^^ a guy on the G&L forum has a Quilter and he likes it ^^^^ ..... says it takes pedals great it you need it heavy
It's hard to beat a Fender Mustang for a general purpose gigging amp. They're truly workhorses. We've used them for playing small to large venues, and even outdoor concerts and they never failed us in any way over the last 4 years. I wouldn't go any less than a Mustang III or IV though. I've currently moved my rig over to a POD HD500X and FRFR speaker, but the Mustang III keeps cranking it out week after week for the other guitarist in the band.
If you want a solid state amp that you can throw a bunch of stomp boxes in front of and have great tone to boot, then the new Roland Jazz Chorus 40 is the ticket. Roland finally got the JC right with a true left/right input, a distortion that is actually useful, and bottom end that isn't flabby like the JC 120. Getting an amp that has a bunch effects on it usually only gets one or two things right, but you could get this amp and a GT-100 and call it a night. Yes, I said GT-100, and not Fractal, Helix, Kemper, or any other multi effects floor unit or rack unit. The afore mentioned units are great in their own right, but this configuration just works.
If there's a budget (and it's less than $3K for an Axe-FX and recommended foot pedal), you might consider a Pod HD500 and a powered speaker like the Carvin PM12A or PM15A.

The latter two are under $300 (plus shipping) and weigh around 30 lbs and have 400W Class D solid state amps built in. Both can be used as floor wedges, both have "top hats" built in so that they can go onto a speaker stand (eliminates most acoustic and mechanical coupling).

A new Pod HD500X is about $499 (less the ubiquitous 15% off coupon from GC, etc.), and a good used HD500 is $275 or so.

There are a number of other powered FRFR speakers and/or modelers in and around those pricepoints.

Moving upward from there, the Fractal AX8 and Line 6 Helix are both new units retailing around $1500. Both are good units.

I use a Carvin HD1500 (1500W solid state power amp rack mount) with either a single fEARful 15/6/1 (about 50 lbs, three-way speaker that will handle up to 900W, about 20" x 30" x 16") or a pair of them. The power amp will put out 900W, bridged, mono, at 8 ohms (a single cabinet) or 1500W bridged, mono at 4 ohms (two cabs), which is pretty much perfect. Remember that the wattage doesn't correlate to volume, and because you're using a modeler, you get essentially the same sound no matter where you actually put the volume on the power amp and speakers. The power amp runs around $300 http://www.carvinaudio.com/products/hd1500-ultra-light-2000w-power-amp, the speakers around $1100 each. There are DIY plans or cut-sheet kits with drivers available for these speakers that will save you a few hundred.
Sorry for the late reply. Was just thinking something a bit cheaper under $700 or so Axe FX and such would be awesome but that's not really an option at the moment.

Lot's of good info in this thread I got some research to do. I mainly need an amp that has nice clean for country and can have enough dirt for 80s type rock/metal don't really need modern metal tones. If I have to get a pedal to achieve that it's no big deal ether.

My JSX does everything I need and I love it but it's just so heavy to lug around around every gig especially for smaller ones with older crowds. Be nice to just have something portable that I can toss around easily and not worry about it bouncing around in the vehicle, plus a backup amp wouldn't hurt.
Jackson DK2
1962 Fender Esquire
PEAVEY JSX 212
PEAVEY 6505+ 112
Something like a POD HD and a decent powered wedge for a monitor would probably suit you fine. The pod you can run right into the PA of wherever you're playing and you can use the wedge to monitor.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by UFC on VHS
What get's your vote new or old to fit this criteria? I'm thinking something that is pretty versatile, solid state so no need to worry about tubes and such. I want the amp to be lightweight and easy to lug around gig to gig. I know I would be sacrificing some tone but I'm willing to work with that.

What you guys think?

Budget, where you gig, nearest city, and links to your three favorite guitar tracks will yield useful results.
AFAIK one of the best SS amps around is the Quilter, in the variant with the features you need most.
Whatever you get, if you really want to cut the weight put it in a speaker with a neodymium magnet in whatever you get. That will shed a few pounds.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/