2013 Fender Am Std Strat ---> Exotic SP compressor --> Peavey Delta Blues 115.

I love the clean tone I'm able to get out of this setup for now, but I can't for the life of me attain an overdriven bluesy tone that I like. I'm looking for classic overdriven blues tone, a la SRV, KWS, JM3 and the like.

I have the Joyo Ultimate drive and the Boss DA-2, but can't find the tone I'm looking for in either thus far.

Any recommendations w/ my existing equipment or recommendations for new stuff?
SRV's sound was mostly Tubescreamers into Fenders. I don't know much about the Peavey but it seems to be reasonably similar to your average classic Fender amp - it should be fine for this.

Your ideal pedal would be a Tubescreamer - they all sound a bit different and TS-808s are the most desirable ones, but Stevie also used TS9s and TS10s. Realistically, they'll all get you in the right ballpark (relatively low-gain overdrive, boosted mids), so go for one that's affordable but not plastic. (I'm currently in the market, and am probably going to go for the Mini Tubescreamer, since it's the cheapest of the lot currently in production and seems to do a perfectly convincing job of that sound.)

If you want to do Tubescreamer on the ultra-cheap, Joyo's Vintage Overdrive seems to be the pedal to get.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Jan 9, 2016,
I think the issue that the Peavey might have is that the particular SRV/Mayer type sound is a rather specific scooped midrange, which the Classic series does not have. The "ping and ring" sound is something I've only heard from a handful of BF/SF Fender type amps, usually with large power sections. The tubescreamer of course adds a lot of mids back in to the mix but I think the amp's a big factor and I haven't heard a Classic series pull it off. They're good amps but they have a very different voicing than a Super or Twin reverb type amp.

Other than that, try scooping the mids and keeping the preamp gain low and the master up, see what happens.
Quote by Roc8995
I think the issue that the Peavey might have is that the particular SRV/Mayer type sound is a rather specific scooped midrange, which the Classic series does not have. The "ping and ring" sound is something I've only heard from a handful of BF/SF Fender type amps, usually with large power sections. The tubescreamer of course adds a lot of mids back in to the mix but I think the amp's a big factor and I haven't heard a Classic series pull it off. They're good amps but they have a very different voicing than a Super or Twin reverb type amp.

Other than that, try scooping the mids and keeping the preamp gain low and the master up, see what happens.

Interesting. Which specific amps would you recommend? I really loved the '68 fender deluxe reverb from the demos I heard. That's a silverface reissue with the right specs, I'm assuming.
Yeah, that ought to get you in the right ballpark. Personally I prefer a bigger amp for those styles, Mayer and SRV (depending on the particulars, but often) both worked with some really large amps, SRV in particular with some huge Dumble pedal steel amps, to keep the preamp from breaking up. I do really love the '68 Custom Deluxe though, it's a hell of an amp. Give it a try if you can. I know the tone is often "supposed" to come from a cranked smaller amp, but I've never had as much luck with that. The bigger transformers/power section seem to hit the sound more readily for me, but that's just my experience.

Off the top of my head, the amps that I've played recently that had that sort of tone are basically any of the larger Fender SF/BF originals or reissues (Super, Twin, Bandmaster, etc), the Bassbreaker 007 to some extent (light on headroom), Egnater Tweaker 88 (the other ones don't seem to do it), Morgan SW50, lots of others I'm forgetting at the moment. The Hot Rod series 'kinda sorta' does it, but a lot of amps (Blues Junior, for example) are "Fender voiced" but have a more pronounced midrange that you can't really dial out. It makes sense, you need those mids to cut through, but it means that a lot of amps like the Peavey Classics can miss out on that particular sound. This all depends on how close you want to get, but that particular tone ("ping and ring" to me, no idea how else to describe it) is a pretty unique characteristic and I haven't had much luck pulling it out of most amps, even if they're great clean amps.
you may or may not need the compressor, if you have a screamer on into a semi driven amp already, plug a heavy attack, you may get all the natural compression you need. SRVs playing was very expressive. not saying its not good, but perhaps lay off the compression?

what guage strings do you use? if you doing the typical SRV " pride and Joy" that type of tone is derrived from varying amounts of pick attack and some of it from hitting HARD and getting that chunky naturally driven tone out of his setup. its going to be hard to play like that on 8s or 9s. perhaps 9 heavy bottoms at the lowest (46 guage?).

you need a screamer type pedal. perhaps not an ibanez, etc, but it has been a tubescreamer or a clone of a tubescreamer.

MIDS. use em.

but really, the buggest thing will be trying to get the technigue down. thats like 75% of the battle. and accept your rig will never sound like a dumble, any everything else he used. thats another 10%. the other 5% is just using a strat through a blues amp with a tubescreamer.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by ikey_
what guage strings do you use? if you doing the typical SRV " pride and Joy" that type of tone is derrived from varying amounts of pick attack and some of it from hitting HARD and getting that chunky naturally driven tone out of his setup. its going to be hard to play like that on 8s or 9s. perhaps 9 heavy bottoms at the lowest (46 guage?).

Yeah, this is pretty important. Obviously you can get great tone from light strings, but with Stevie it's all about left hand muting and heavy picking, which are just many orders of magnitude harder with lighter strings.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by ikey_

but really, the buggest thing will be trying to get the technigue down. thats like 75% of the battle.

+1. if you can play like srv you should be able to get close enough for rock n roll with a strat, tubescreamer-style od, and appropriate fender-style amp (see colin's posts for info about that, he knows way more than i do).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I would look into a visual sound double trouble, they are just two tubesreamers stuck together, you can use one or the other or both. i like mine a lot. it also has bass boos options on both sides.

and used, its cheaper than most normal TS's.

great BBP too.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Ditto that.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I have a Peavey Classic 30, and while it's a great amp, I could never get it close to the SRV sound. I bought a used Fender Reverb Reissue and put Weber vintage speakers in it. I use heavier (.011 to .050) GHS strings, a tube screamer, and a Weber attenuator. I have Klein vintage pickups in an American Standard Strat.

I don't think I could get any closer to SRV's sound than this. I think I've seen every video of every concert he did, and listened to every song recorded. He used tons of different amps, and his sound wasn't exactly the same from one concert video to another. His sound was as much a result of his attack on the chords as any single piece of equipment.
Yeah, ditto to everyone saying you gotta have the right technique.

I know a lot of people are saying get a Tubescreamer, and that makes sense since SRV is responsible for a large portion of its popularity, but honestly I think a big Fender amp is the most important piece of gear in the equation. The TS is nice for the extra mids (especially since Fenders are fairly scooped) and extra drive, but I never felt like I needed one to get an SRV kind of tone.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
The TS is nice for the extra mids (especially since Fenders are fairly scooped) and extra drive, but I never felt like I needed one to get an SRV kind of tone.

Depends on the amp. On my Twin, you can dime the mids all you like, but it just won't do that kind of beef without the help of a TS or something similar.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Honestly none of us will ever completely master Stevie's tone. He attacked the strings and played every note like it was his last. We can all get in the ballpark though with similar tools and some serious blues chops. I cover a lot of his stuff and any decent Fender tube amp (he used a whole bunch of them over the years, even some Marshall), a good OD pedal like a TS or OCD, and ferocious blues skills will evoke screams from the crowd. It won't be SRV incarnate, but it might be pretty damn good and it will be "all you" tearing it up and laying the room to waste. In the end I think that is what he would have wanted. He often said "take what you need and make it your own."

Hat tip SRV.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jan 10, 2016,
Cool, thanks guys. My goal isn't to sound exactly like Stevie. I just think Stevie's tone is the best blues tone I've ever personality heard, and I would like to get in that ballpark, at least.
Your DB is just fine. I would recommend exploring the Ultimate Drive again. Experiment with the level high and the drive low on the clean channel. You can also try it with low gain on the crunch channel. Don't use the compressor yet. Find the right tone without it. You probably won't even need it since you'll lose some dynamics. If the Ultimate Drive isn't working, try a TS-based pedal.
This might be the best approach to covering the music of SRV:

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent.”
― Miles Davis
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jan 11, 2016,
Go hang out in the techniques forum if you want to go on about attitude and fingers all day. This is a gear section and the discussion needs to be substantially about gear.
Quote by Roc8995
Go hang out in the techniques forum if you want to go on about attitude and fingers all day. This is a gear section and the discussion needs to be substantially about gear.

Really Roc?

Now you and I agree on many things and I do appreciate that your job is to keep all us pigeons in our proper pigeon holes but... I gotta respectfully ask for a little leeway here your honor.

This is the gear forum and we have essentially exhausted the topic of SRVs gear. His tone was founded in any one of a dozen mostly Fender amps, one of many Strats, and an OD pedal of the TS variety. The problem is, there are 10,000 players out there playing the Blues with a Strat, TS, and Fender type amp, but few of them sound anywhere near the monstrous tone of SRV. I do believe the discussion begins with gear but no SRV tone dissection is complete without mention of the main ingredient. His fearless attitude while playing. Miles got it right.

To answer the OP question directly: "Getting SRV OD tone with my setup" requires a boatload of attitude in addition to all the pertinent gear discussed earlier. Please grant me this minor categorical indiscretion. I mean no harm to UG or the gear forum in particular. The question asked simply deserves a complete answer.

Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jan 11, 2016,
They keep forgetting his cable-sized string preference.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by trashedlostfdup
I would look into a visual sound double trouble, they are just two tubesreamers stuck together, you can use one or the other or both. i like mine a lot. it also has bass boos options on both sides.

and used, its cheaper than most normal TS's.

great BBP too.

BBP?

but yeah i have the single version of the double trouble and it's nice.

I have a bit of sympathy for cajundaddy, too- i agree that the "gear doesn't matter, just practise more" brigade can be annoying, but at the same time I don't think that's what he's saying. his first post was basically what i said paraphrased (not saying he copied me, he knows more about that type of music and that type of gear than I do, just I happened to post first).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
a big part of SRV tone is volume. he played the fender amps he used pretty much wooded along with the tubescreamer. he also used heavy guage strings and as cajun mentioned the rest is technique. the other thing about SRV is you have to be a littel more specific as his tone did change from album to album and even song to song to some degree. don't forget the wha and of course in later years he used a fuzzface on certain things as well.
Yeah, and just to muddy the waters further, he had a SLO100 (custom) on order before he died. Tom Soldano didn't get it to SRV before he died, so he still has it. According to Soldano SRV was getting frustrated with his set up, which often involved 3 amps at the time.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Cajundaddy
Really Roc?

Now you and I agree on many things and I do appreciate that your job is to keep all us pigeons in our proper pigeon holes but... I gotta respectfully ask for a little leeway here your honor.

This is the gear forum and we have essentially exhausted the topic of SRVs gear. His tone was founded in one of a dozen mostly Fender amps, one of many Strats, and an OD pedal of the TS variety. The problem is, there are 10,000 players out there playing the Blues with a Strat, TS, and Fender type amp, but few of them sound anywhere near the monstrous tone of SRV. I do believe the discussion begins with gear but no SRV tone dissection is complete without mention of the main ingredient. His fearless attitude while playing. Miles got it right.

To answer the OP question directly: "Getting SRV OD tone with my setup" requires a boatload of attitude in addition to all the pertinent gear discussed earlier. Please grant me this minor categorical indiscretion. I mean no harm to UG or the gear forum in particular. The question asked simply deserves a complete answer.

Look, it's no big deal to give leeway, and it happens all the time. The problem is that you've been so tone-deaf and insistent in your posting about stuff like this that it's become a problem. In this thread, for example, you posted your usual thing, which is annoying but whatever, but then after being politely rebuffed by the TS you kept at it, with some pointless platitudes that don't address anything besides your own insistence that your thing is more important than the actual gear question asked in the actual gear forum.

In other words, we have no problem when other people post similar things to ensure that the person is getting the help they need. Your approach, which is to beat this dead horse in any thread you please, at the expense of actual on-topic discussion, is counterproductive. To turn around and try to say that we need another "tone is in the hands" argument because we've somehow exhausted SRV discussion (ignoring the productive conversation happening around you) is just a joke.

So, no, I have to insist that you knock this shit off. If you want to talk about it further, PM me.
You have my apology Roc. I was simply quoting the masters and did not intend to offend. It is your house, message received.

Quote by Dave_Mc
BBP?

buffered bypass.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
dont forget a dumble amp has always been cited as a staple of his. and NONE of us will replicate the sound of a dumble perfectly. just let that one go. perhaps some amps on the market attempt to come close.

another thing - fairly certain at times he used a rotary speaker. getting a vibe type pedal may be good on some of his stuff.

he also used a lot of Wah. He had a very pronounced Wah technique.

really, he copied a lot of bluesy type gear from Hendrix really. fuzz face, rotary, wah, etc etc.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by ikey_
dont forget a dumble amp has always been cited as a staple of his. and NONE of us will replicate the sound of a dumble perfectly. just let that one go. perhaps some amps on the market attempt to come close.

Sure, but he used a lot of different amps and I would argue the Dumble wasn't central to his tone. I would say that, for the most part, blackface Fender Reverbs (and the TS) will get you as close as anything will.

Quote by ikey_
another thing - fairly certain at times he used a rotary speaker. getting a vibe type pedal may be good on some of his stuff.

Yup, I'm pretty sure he used a Vibratone (the Fender Leslie cab) on a couple of songs, such as Cold Shot, so a modulation of some sort would be a good investment for that. Of course, the real thing sounds like the absolute dog's bollocks, but I guess we can't all afford fancy gear for every occasion (much to my chagrin).
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
The Boss RT-20 is a pretty good Leslie pedal.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Sure, but he used a lot of different amps and I would argue the Dumble wasn't central to his tone. I would say that, for the most part, blackface Fender Reverbs (and the TS) will get you as close as anything will.

Yup, I'm pretty sure he used a Vibratone (the Fender Leslie cab) on a couple of songs, such as Cold Shot, so a modulation of some sort would be a good investment for that. Of course, the real thing sounds like the absolute dog's bollocks, but I guess we can't all afford fancy gear for every occasion (much to my chagrin).

the Dumble was strictly for clean tones and that isn't what most people care about when it comes to SRV. not having a dumble won't be that dig of a deal. SRV did indeed use a leslie for a couple of songs but again that sound can be had other ways within reason. stevie also used a Boss Dimension D pedal in the studio. this is essentially a fancy chorus (and fairly rare)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
buffered bypass.

ah right, i probably should've been able to guess that, thanks. yeah the buffer is pretty good- i find it maybe even a little much (it nearly adds a little too much sparkle for my ears), but it's definitely in the "good buffer" camp. at least it's definitely unity gain, and I could see some people preferring the extra sparkle (and fwiw i still have it in the chain so I guess it doesn't annoy me that much).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?