Note: I'm not 100% sure if this belongs here or in the gear building section, since it is more of a review than anything.

Recently I built the Brian May style pedal booster found here to boost my ac30, with good results. I did not buy the kit from them since I live in Aus, but I used mostly the same parts as outlined in the schematic.

The pedal is built almost exactly to spec, with only 1 capacitor and 1 transistor changed to similar ones due to availability of parts, as well as a battery indicator and power switch. I built it on veroboard rather than a pcb, but this should not effect the sound at all.

The pedal works exactly as advertised, boosting the overall volume and increasing the treble, perfect for pushing an amp into overdrive for a solo etc. It works great with both my guitars into my ac30. The boost is really powerful in this pedal. With the volume set at 10 o'clock, it can easily push my clean signal well into overdrive.
It is important to note that this pedal only boosts an amp into overdrive, it doesn't create the overdrive sound itself, so it generally wont have the desired effect in a solid state amp.

Physically the pedal is indestructible (or would be if my soldering was better). The case is solid aluminum, and the footswitch is a heavy duty 3pdt switch, making it a true bypass pedal.

Here are some pictures of the pedal (click for bigger pictures). I still have to paint it (probably spray paint and stencils), but otherwise it is finished.

I might upload some audio clips later, but it will only be through a crappy phone microphone.
^ Probably a load of crap

Gear

PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Squier Strat
Washburn D10SCE

Vox AC30C2
Roland MicroCube
Fender frontman 15G
Last edited by MTolly at Jan 9, 2016,
!!! I told myself no more gear purchases for a while but at $50 it is hard to resist! How does the pedal fare for getting the milkshake-thick Brian May lead tones? And HNPD!
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 10, 2016,
nice work

am i right in thinking that treble boosters work a wee bit like tubescreamers/sd1s in that they work well boosting an overdriven amp because they tighten it up a bit (though obviously they don't have the clipping circuit of an od pedal)? never actually got round to trying a treble booster

EDIT: ^ yeah if you have an ac30 and can solder i'm guessing it'd be hard to go wrong for $50
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
And that's $50 AUD too
I'm sure I could have done it for <$40 if I ebayed parts, but I was feeling impatient and went to Jaycar.
Yeah, it tightens the signal a little, increases treble and boosts the signal.

Gear

PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Squier Strat
Washburn D10SCE

Vox AC30C2
Roland MicroCube
Fender frontman 15G
I built this one a few years ago:

Page Link

Which is, except for a few component differences, (Different transistor, and different input cap and filter cap values, and different resistor on the emitter, Volume control) is the same as the one you built.
And I followed that vero layout.
I used the BC182L

Sounded great through my AC30.
Never got around to boxing it up though.
Maybe someday.
(I got a lot on my "Someday" list).
Last edited by CodeMonk at Jan 10, 2016,
Crap, wish I would have found that veroboard layout. Make my build much easier and neater. I like having the volume control though, 12 o'clock is generally enough boost for me.

Gear

PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Squier Strat
Washburn D10SCE

Vox AC30C2
Roland MicroCube
Fender frontman 15G