First off, this post isn't aimed to offend anyone who posts cover songs on their youtube channel. I just want to get a sense of peoples general opinion about it.

I myself am thinking about making my own channel and posting guitar covers of my favorite songs. However I've heard from some people that its a lame way to promote yourself as a musician since you're pretty much playing someone else's music.

This being said, I do believe that learning songs that I once thought were impossible to play tremendously improved my skills, and for an intermediate player such as myself, there is no harm in trying to mimic musicians and bands I look up to.

I just want to know your opinion on people with youtube channels dedicated to posting guitar covers (who also may or may not post their own compositions as well).
Quote by t.k_rules
First off, this post isn't aimed to offend anyone who posts cover songs on their youtube channel. I just want to get a sense of peoples general opinion about it.

I myself am thinking about making my own channel and posting guitar covers of my favorite songs. However I've heard from some people that its a lame way to promote yourself as a musician since you're pretty much playing someone else's music.

This being said, I do believe that learning songs that I once thought were impossible to play tremendously improved my skills, and for an intermediate player such as myself, there is no harm in trying to mimic musicians and bands I look up to.

I just want to know your opinion on people with youtube channels dedicated to posting guitar covers (who also may or may not post their own compositions as well).

from what I know It must be easier for people to find your videos if you're doing covers rather than originals at least straight away. A lot of people do just covers wich for me has little interest since a lot of people can do the same thing.. At least they should change some things on the song they're trying to cover like making their own interpretation of things..
That said nothing wrong with doing covers It's good that you do, specially because you want to.
a good way to get people to see your videos would be uploading covers of very recent pop hits and I guess that's why they do it so much.
And then when you start getting more people watching you throw original stuff there and It's more likely that people will see your videos.
And that might be lame on the eyes of some people but who cares?? what's the point of uploading original stuff if no one will listen to it?

btw check my justin bieber cover!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-4ryV077zU
Last edited by João1993 at Jan 10, 2016,
There's nothing wrong with posting cover songs on YouTube. The only people who think it's a "lame" way to promote yourself as a musician are talentless musicians who will go nowhere or people who simply do not understand social media. Covers of songs get millions of views. The general public (who is mostly made up of non-musicians) love to see other people play covers of songs otherwise they wouldn't be getting tons of views. Read through some of the comments on a popular cover on YouTube and I bet you will see comments from people claiming how talented and gifted the person who did the cover is. Covering songs is definitely not a bad way to promote yourself at all.

I for one like seeing covers of songs because they are a different take on songs I like. People play songs differently and that extra difference can make a song seem brand new. Sometimes I even watch covers of my favorite songs more than the original version.
Last edited by J23L at Jan 10, 2016,
Quote by João1993

a good way to get people to see your videos would be uploading covers of very recent pop hits and I guess that's why they do it so much.
And then when you start getting more people watching you throw original stuff there and It's more likely that people will see your videos.
?

Bingo. This is what idiot musicians do not understand. Some people simply do not know how to promote themselves. People who say this is lame is consistently getting 100 views on their YouTube songs when they could possibly be getting more.
In my personal opinion there's nothing wrong about that. A covered song can in some way give the listener an understanding of what you're able to do,it can act like a mile mark in a way,a showcase of skill. So can originals.

And as pointed out above,covering a song can net you more views and help more easily promote your channel to the general audience. Mixing pop songs with metal is a fantastic way to promote your channel as most people listen to pop...
Whereas filling up your channel with the most insane,technical guitar playing known to man ala Dream Theater would grant you less views,because frankly,the general public doesn't care. Aside from fellow musicians ofcourse.

So I don't really see a problem with mixing covers/originals. It's pretty much the best possible way to get known.

Also,why wouldn't you cover a song of your favourite composer or band? It shows your dedication and affection for them. Plus,it will improve your skills.

But JUST covers,as straight as the originals with no personal touches? A pure cover channel? Meh.

Mix and blend to your hearts' desire.
I don't think there is anything wrong or lame in posting covers to youtube. I do however think that gaining a following for your covers doesn't necessarily mean that you'll gain a following for your originals.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by t.k_rules

It's only lame if you don't do them very well. There's some great covers on youtube. Great musicians can play great covers.

If you don't think you can do the songs justice - if you don't feel you've really got inside them and made them your own - better to do your own songs.
It can be a decent way of building a "portfolio" for future work opportunities. Otherwise, you'll be nothing special as there are loads of cover videos all over Youtube.

It doesn't matter, since learning other people's songs is what musicians should do anyway.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quite frankly, I'd rather hear someone do a good cover than listen to the mountains of garbage that people post as "originals". In fact, the vast majority of people posting their originals might do well to focus their time and effort on posting covers. In that process they might learn a thing or two about writing a half-way decent song.
Quote by t.k_rules
However I've heard from some people that its a lame way to promote yourself as a musician since you're pretty much playing someone else's music.

I mean, the majority of classical, jazz, bluegrass, and folk musicians tend to play mainly, and sometimes almost exclusively, other people's music.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
In terms of self-promotion, covers are as effective as they are good. As long as you put some thought into re-arranging the tune and effort into a good performance, it's a good way to get your name out there.
Quote by cdgraves
In terms of self-promotion, covers are as effective as they are good. As long as you put some thought into re-arranging the tune and effort into a good performance, it's a good way to get your name out there.

It''s a good way to get your name out there, as a cover artist.
Soundcloud
Quote by cdgraves
As long as you put some thought into re-arranging the tune

Why is that important? The ability to nail a difficult piece verbatim is a good skill to be able to display.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
Why is that important? The ability to nail a difficult piece verbatim is a good skill to be able to display.

I agree.

As a side note, I hate the trend of taking a popular song, slowing it right down and singing the crap out of it. Sure it works "sometimes", but this form of covering songs is more about showing off than making good music.
Soundcloud
Last edited by AlanHB at Jan 11, 2016,
My opinion on this subject is mostly what Jongtr said. There's nothing wrong with posting covers (it's a good way to promote yourself and covering helps your ear) ... if the cover is decent and you're confident in your ability to play the selected song. Sadly I'm not confident enough to cover a song myself and mostly practice off-camera. I'll stick to just posting my originals for now.
"I don't know what you're trying to suggest. There's no shame in taking what you need to hold your position!"

Super Buu (DBZ) on assimilation (it could also apply to blues guitar and guitar soloing in general).
Quote by AlanHB
I agree.

As a side note, I hate the trend of taking a popular song, slowing it right down and singing the crap out of it. Sure it works "sometimes", but this form of covering songs is more about showing off than making good music.

I do agree, but I feel that a lot of "jazz" covers of pop songs are worse, and almost all "metal" covers of pop songs are far worse still.
Most ironic covers are pretty terrible, and would probably be better if they just took the chords and didn't let on that it's a cover.

Quote by theogonia777

I think that depends entirely on the presentation. If you are a band, or can record your own backing tracks, then, yes, it's good to show that you play difficult music (and for clarity's sake, I don't consider playing jazz/classical the same as covering a pop song).

But if you don't have any of that, it looks wanky as shit to sit there with the original recording playing the background and you playing along with it. That's not "doing" a cover, it's just playing along with a recording. Skill it may demonstrate, but I think the point would be missed by non-musician listeners.

Whatever approach someone wants to take, the big idea is that thoughtfulness shows and it does better for the artist than a rote demonstration.
Last edited by cdgraves at Jan 12, 2016,
If you can't play a song verbatim, it's not likely you have the experience to develop an arrangement that's going to be more compelling than the original. I can't count the times I've heard bands tell me they're playing a song "their way" when what they actually mean to say is, "we can't play it as well as the original, so we simplified it enough so we can play it".
For a lot of folks, it's actually harder to do covers than one's own original work due to simply being compared to the other musicians. However, with enough practice and time, even the most griping of reviewers will go for sparkling views on covers. It's basically up to whoever is covering. Me, I am almost exclusively a cover musician, and it has not stifled my creativity with songs, only made it more and more. I was even starting to do original work after so many years and so many songs from covers. As long as one tries well and is passionate with the work, covers do well as well as the original. Most listeners will be able to tell that
Quote by J23L
Sometimes I even watch covers of my favorite songs more than the original version.
Same
Quote by theogonia777
I do agree, almost all "metal" covers of pop songs are far worse still.
Saaaame!
Quote by cdgraves
...it looks wanky as shit to sit there with the original recording playing the background and you playing along with it. That's not "doing" a cover, it's just playing along with a recording. Skill it may demonstrate, but I think the point would be missed by non-musician listeners.
ahhh not so much same? (aside professionally performing ITWYM?)... but at times (just muckin round) I have played along to the recording, and non muso's certainly notice ad-libs!

Joe Satch - Always Obviously Wanky:
e|--------------------------------|-------------------------------|-
B|-4-5-(5)/7---(7)/9--7-5--4h5----|-[color="Red"]4-5-(5)/7---(7)/9--7-5/7[/COLOR]------|-
G|-[color="Red"]4-6-(6)/8---(8)/9--8-6--4h6[/COLOR]-6--|-4-6-(6)/8---(8)/9--8-6--------|- Yada
D|-----------------------------[color="Red"]4[/COLOR]--|------------------------4------|-   Yada
A|--------------------------------|-------------------------------|-
E|--------------------------------|-------------------------------|-
but perhaps not what you mean!
In the past couple of months I've been trying real hard to get a grunge cover band started as a way to work one or two originals into the set list. And with the covers that I've already known for years and ones that I'm learning to this day, I try to at the VERY LEAST improvise my own solo and/or even extend the solo much longer than it would be on the record (Alive is a good one for this since the solo is the end of the song and it's in the key of E major which TO ME at least is an easy one to tinker with and create some awesome original licks).

When it comes the rhythms of covers, I would suggest learning that verbatim. If you want to learn the solos of songs verbatim (like I did for the first 9 and a half years of me playing (I was lazy and lacked confidence)) more power to you. But if you want to turn heads, I suggest trying to develop your own flare and then implementing that flare into your own unique solo for that cover. If you do change the solo, just don't over simplify (or as I call it, Kurt Cobaining) the hell out of it. At that point you're better off learning the record solo.

I am in no way, shape or form an expert. So if you don't want to take my advice, that's perfectly understandable. I'm just trying to give my honest opinion on how I like to perform covers and would like to hear covers performed.
Thank you #21! Tim Duncan!!!
Quote by 20Tigers
^This.

Don't worry about other people. Just do you.

I agree with this, Covers are good to post onto youtube in my opinion. You can always see it for how you've improved as a guitarist.
SANDBLAST YOURSELF.

Quote by i_lovemetallica
If you think Gollum was sober with his whole "Gollum/Smeagol" thing and thinking he was invisible with the ring, then you need to remove the cotton wool from your eyes.

Wake up sheeple.

Sunaj
Quote by tonibet72

ahhh not so much same? (aside professionally performing ITWYM?)... but at times (just muckin round) I have played along to the recording, and non muso's certainly notice ad-libs!

Usually the covers I've seen the recording will make it harder to hear what they are playing, Doing cover with no backing tracks are way better, Use the guitar pro drums for timing.
SANDBLAST YOURSELF.

Quote by i_lovemetallica
If you think Gollum was sober with his whole "Gollum/Smeagol" thing and thinking he was invisible with the ring, then you need to remove the cotton wool from your eyes.

Wake up sheeple.

Sunaj
Quote by nanna_guy414
Usually the covers I've seen the recording will make it harder to hear what they are playing, Doing cover with no backing tracks are way better, Use the guitar pro drums for timing.

I agree with this. The only better thing than this I can think of is find a fellow musician friend who already knows or is willing to learn the rhythm track.

Quote by jerrykramskoy
Take a look at http://copyright.help.soundcloud.co...ht-infringement.

A cover is infringement, if you care (unless the music is so old the copyright has lapsed).

Really? Not that I don't believe you, but really? You're going to be THAT guy?
If I were to ever do covers whatsoever, Youtube might be the best bet. More often than not, the ONLY cases that are called on for copyright are those from some of the most popular artists covered, even with no licenses. For the most part, copyright only gets majorly called on if the huge companies don't get recognition or pay for it (I might need to research into that more). Prince called copyright on EVERYTHING because he's freakin Prince, for example (...which just means everyone settles for the less-than-stellar covers of covers of his songs).
How many of us "nobodies" actually get our videos pulled and letters from lawyers though? 'Cause I have a cover of Nutshell (which I wish me and my buddy would've done more than just one take) that has been up for about 2 or 3 years now and never got the least bit of a warning.
For the most part, it's a rarity to occur. Musicians nowadays WITH actual copyrights on music aren't acting as snide as Prince. They are usually cool with the fact they're getting noticed from others' work on their work. They understand they still own up to the song and the rights to it, but don't just suddenly not let anyone else learn their decent songs