Hi,
I get really nerves the day before a gig. I won't be able to sleep and get this weird for feeling in my stomach like I have to go to the toilet. Running my parts in my head. I know all the songs inside out thought and can play them perfect. Even driving to the venue am still nerves. Then when I get their am fine, Even on stage it doesn't worry me and I feel normal. Does anyone else go through this?
Also am not very confident in my playing as I should be. I think am not as good as I am.
Thanks.
BTW I've done about 10 gigs. The first couple I didn't feel like this and am 16.
🍗🎹🎶🎼🎧🎤🎮👾🎸🎨🎷⚽️🎱🏁🎺🎻🍮🍰🍪📱👻🐔🐣🐥🐤🐽🐷💀👽💩💸🚽👻
Last edited by Guitar137335 at Jan 10, 2016,
I used to, when I first started gigging (aged 17 ... long ago now). Soon passes.

Lots of players are worried about being judged lacking ... but if you are, so what ... get better ... if you can play, don't worry. Waste of energy.

Keep in mind that folk are there to enjoy themselves and they sure aren't thinking "kill the guitarist" (usually).

But I never thought about the gig prior to actually being there ...

As soon as I started the gig, any nerves went immediately ... too much fun. That's been the same for me from playing in the scout hut, to playing in front of thousands of people.
Breathe. Sometimes that is all it takes.

I have a few rituals I do before a gig including running through my vocal parts and any tricky new guitar solos or changes. I also take inventory on my gear before loading up so I know everything is accounted for. This relaxes me a bunch. Once I get there, setup goes quickly and I run a series of tests to make sure all systems are go. The first few songs are always a bit stiff as I adjust to the room and we fine-tune our stage mix. After that, I can fully relax and the rest of the gig is all rainbow unicorns.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I agree with the above comments. Nervousness will pass as time goes on. Being a little nervous is actually good. It means you care about your playing. I have been playing gigs for 40 years on a regular basis and there are moments when I still get a little of that (new room, unfamiliar audience, new songs, new gear etc.). In some ways it's good. Strangely I find that like Cajundaddy that I like to pack up my gear way ahead of time and make sure I have everything ready in advance. I carry a laminated card in my wallet that is a list of the gear I need. Once I have packed up my van and checked with my "card", it's something that I don't have to think about again. I go over any new material a day or so ahead of the gig, then I relax. I'm ready and looking forward to the gig. It sounds crazy but if you do some preplanning you can eliminate some little things and save yourself the last minute rush which will add to your nervousness (the "What am I forgetting?" syndrome). I also like to be fairly early to each gig. I get set up way ahead of time so I can just relax and unwind before playing. That's very important to me. After I set up I can just sit and take in the atmosphere of the room, the potential audience and still have time for any last minute issues. At that point I am excited about playing.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Jan 10, 2016,
The only time I get nervous is when I feel the band isn't well-rehearsed. The quickest way to overcome the jitters is knowing everyone has the songs down cold and you could do them in your sleep. And if a song isn't absolutely rock-solid in rehearsal, don't include it in your set list until it is.

If you want to walk on stage confident and self-assured, invest in rehearsal time. After all, you're only as good as you're prepared to be....