So i just got a chance to join a pretty well established band. Its not internationaly known, but it is a pretty big name in our country's metal scene, and most people know them. I have the chance to join them as the vocalist.

The thing is, they released their debut album in 1987. Thats about 4 years older than i am. Now im not concerned about the age difference, since the drummer is pretty much the same age as i am, but what worries me is how can i possibley replace a singer after all those years? They had a really charismatic and iconic singer, who was pretty much the center of the band, even if he didnt actually write any music. And he had been with them for 15 years now. How does one even attempt to fill such shoes? I mean, we all know how judgmental metalheads can be.

I'm sure i am a good enough singer to replace him, but his stage persona and stuff like that? I dunno. And i feel that if i try to copy him, people will hate it because i would be faking, and if i dont, people will hate it because its not him.

Any ideas/tips?
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Just try it out, see how it goes. Might work, might not. But stressing out or overthinking the situation isn't going to work in your favour.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Don't imitate the previous singer in any way. Show up well prepared, know the songs cold be able to sing everything in your range without strain, and bring a fresh vibe to the band. This will validate your place as frontman.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY