I'm getting either the Boss TU-2 or TU-3 Chromatic Tuner pedal for my boyfriend. I only play acoustic guitar so I don't know the first thing about pedals. I'm guessing the TU-3 is just a newer version of the tuner, but it's about $40 more expensive than the TU-2. Is the extra money worth it or will he get the same thing out of the TU-2?
The TU-2 was the industry standard for years, the TU-3 is just an updated version. The TU-2 is probably cheaper in your case because it is either used or old stock that they are trying to get rid of. The Korg Pitchblack is well regarded as well:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Korg/Pitchblack-Chromatic-Pedal-Tuner.gc

You really can't go wrong with any of them.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
i like the pitchblack too.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I like the GFS electronics tuner. It's cheap, bright as fuck, durable enough, accurate enough.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
I have used the TU-2 to good effect for 10 years and it works fine. This is my new favorite tuner though. Check it out:

http://www.tcelectronic.com/polytune-mini/
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
TU-2 or TU-3?
I have the TU-3 and its worked fine for me for years and feel no need to change.
Its more accurate than the TU-2, and has a few other improvements over the TU-2.
Or you can go for one of the others mentioned above.
The Korg Pitchblack is quite well liked.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Jan 11, 2016,
I have the polytune and while the whole polyphonic thing doesnt work like it should, its very accurate and durable. IMO it doesnt even matter which one of the above you pick, they are pretty much the same.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Pitchblack good.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
It's a tuner. Get the cheapest one. I've been using a £5 clip on tuner for 8 years and it still works perfectly.
Quote by derek8520
It's a tuner. Get the cheapest one. I've been using a £5 clip on tuner for 8 years and it still works perfectly.

This is so true. I used a $50 Fender pedal tuner for years in a band. It was great.
Right now, my pedalboard has a $20 pedal tuner on it. Works just fine.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by derek8520

He already has a snark clip-on but wants a pedal to use for when he's playing live.

He said specifically that he wants the Boss TU-3 so I don't want to stray too far from that... Like I said, I don't know anything about pedals. I just wanted to know if there was a big difference between the TU-2 and TU-3