Ok so I used to be okay at home recording. I had my guitars, a Line 6 UX1 interface, cracked versions of Sonar 8 and other things which I was fairly good at, decent amp sims.

In the past years I was struggling with drug addiction and so I pretty much sold it all for drugs. But I have been clean for over 18 months now, and I have gotten some equipment.

So I got a LTD Les Paul body guitar, a Roland 30W Cube amp, and an Ibanez Tube Screamer. I guess I didn't really need the tube screamer yet but I don't wanna sell it. I was thinking the next step is to get a noise gate.

What should I add on to get the basics of home recording?
Do you still have the DAWs (Sonar 8) and sims etc? If not I'd say get one of them and like a Focusrite 2i2 or something to start with. What are your recording needs, like what are you recording for or what can you see yourself recording?

For home recording I'd say get a DAW, a Focusrite 2i2, and then use the amp sims/plug-ins that come with the DAW or that you download. You can also put pedals between Guitar and the Focusrite if you desire. If you want to record an amp you either need a like an SM57 or a line-out from the amp (but then i'd just say use the amp sims in DAWs if that happens).

How noisey is your home, and what are the acoustics of the room you're recording in? What quality are you looking for?
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
I wouldn't be advertising the fact that you use pirated software. Also for home recording all you need is a DAW and an interface.

Also I'm not sure why you shared your drug addiction story but ok.
Quote by Anthony1991
Do you still have the DAWs (Sonar 8) and sims etc? If not I'd say get one of them and like a Focusrite 2i2 or something to start with. What are your recording needs, like what are you recording for or what can you see yourself recording?

Won't the Scarlett 2i2 have clipping issues if you go direct? I would recommend a 2i4 at least if going direct. They run pretty cheap used too.

TS, check this thread too: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1658707
Quote by DanyFS
Won't the Scarlett 2i2 have clipping issues if you go direct? I would recommend a 2i4 at least if going direct. They run pretty cheap used too.

TS, check this thread too: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1658707

Guitar to 2i2 is totally fine, in fact the physical interface to indicate clipping is pretty cool (it glows green to red). Amp to 2i2 should be fine too.
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
I'd go PreSonus - look up their range of interfaces, you get their recording software (Studio One) which to me has been great and much smoother running that Sonar (I actually dropped Sonar at ver. 8 after I can't import channel patches for a big project as it crashed and had to do it manually).
Otherwise - you pretty much have the rest that you need, just a mic or a cable to run direct into the interface.
Some people report that the 2i2 can still go into clipping if direct inputs used. It hasn't got a hi-z input buffer or pads so i'd play it safe and check out one with.
Quote by Killing Hand
Some people report that the 2i2 can still go into clipping if direct inputs used. It hasn't got a hi-z input buffer or pads so i'd play it safe and check out one with.

Yes, it still does, not as bad but I'd rather consider Mackie and PreSonus in that price range unless you go up a few $ and get the next Focusrite on the list.
Never had any of those issues listed above with my 2i2. Honestly it's one of the best things I've ever bought music wise and it does have a wide critical acclaim. But fair enough if some people have had issues.
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Thanks for all the replies guys. The 2i2 looks really good and affordable I think I might go with that, for some reason I didn't really like my UX1, also the Line 6 website always gave me problems with the drivers, like I would forget my account info and Id never get a reply email with the info. I'll also check out the 2i4.

Sorry for saying I pirated software, I don't anymore.

Also I think my room dimensions are 12x15, but with 3 beds in their cause I live in a group room. I don't know much about acousitcs for rooms, but I either my room as described or the garage which is more empty.

I'm just recording for fun right now, but I have A LOT of riffs right now of different genres. Maybe some solo project. Mostly I want to record eith stoner metal like High on Fire and a symphonic black metal/folk metal project, so I would need some orchestra synths too.

So I'm thinking of doing the 2i2, PreSonus, and SM57.
Stay clean man- hopefully recording is a good outlet for ya. It does wonders for me. Try to not let it stress you out, just enjoy it
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Stay in that group room for clean recordings, move to the garage for that sweet reverb tone!
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
I am looking to get back into home recording. It's been years, actually it's been a decade since I last recorded original material and some covers. I need something to motivate me though. The process un-motivates me, i look at the whole process as an ordeal. It seems like there is too much to learn, how to master this machine and master that gizmo. As you may have guesses, I'm a slacker. I need equipment that a former drummer like myself could use.

For starters, I need to upgrade from my Tascam porta studio 4 track cassette recorder. I suppose digital is the way to go nowadays? Also, I would prefer 8 tracks in order to record more guitar and vocal parts. Bouncing tracks is over my head, like all over. I have an Alesis SR-16 drum machine to jam along to for practice and hopefully to use to replace myself on drums. Like I said, I'm a slacker and drums just make me too tired these days. It's one of the reasons why I quit the band I was in. I don't know how some drummers do it playing punk my age (37) and older.

Other than that, I primarily use a SM-57 to record all parts (guitar, bass, drums, vocals). I am looking for a drum machine that is user friendly, simple to use. Is the korg mini rhythm machine a good choice? I would prefer recording gear for dummies level equipment. I'm open to suggestions.
Last edited by jamesmickanen at Jan 19, 2016,
Quote by jamesmickanen
I am looking to get back into home recording. It's been years, actually it's been a decade since I last recorded original material and some covers. I need something to motivate me though. The process un-motivates me, i look at the whole process as an ordeal. It seems like there is too much to learn, how to master this machine and master that gizmo. As you may have guesses, I'm a slacker. I need equipment that a former drummer like myself could use.

For starters, I need to upgrade from my Tascam porta studio 4 track cassette recorder. I suppose digital is the way to go nowadays? Also, I would prefer 8 tracks in order to record more guitar and vocal parts. Bouncing tracks is over my head, like all over. I have an Alesis SR-16 drum machine to jam along to for practice and hopefully to use to replace myself on drums. Like I said, I'm a slacker and drums just make me too tired these days. It's one of the reasons why I quit the band I was in. I don't know how some drummers do it playing punk my age (37) and older.

Other than that, I primarily use a SM-57 to record all parts (guitar, bass, drums, vocals). I am looking for a drum machine that is user friendly, simple to use. Is the korg mini rhythm machine a good choice? I would prefer recording gear for dummies level equipment. I'm open to suggestions.

Well, I've been through the whole drum machine dilemma and the only ones that would work for me are the Boss Dr. Rhythm 660, 770 and 880, as nothing else had the ability to program multiple meter and tempos in one song. I ended up with the 880. Not the easiest to learn but it wasn't so bad. Now for the most part I've moved to programming drums into DAW and I do a little punch ins through an Alesis midi kit for fills, etc. as I can't really play drums that well.
As you are a drummer, that might be a lot better - you can get an ekit like Alesis DM6 or DM8 used for about half the price. Or you can program drums in the PC and gets those parts out as audio files, might want to look at Hydrogen which is standalone freeware drum machine software, very easy to use and then you can record these parts into a digital multitrack to complete. Maybe look at the Tascam multitrackers as you seem to be familiar with them, now they've moved to digital but they've kept some of the familiar functions...or try moving in completely in the box with some easy to use program like say Mixcraft, Tracktion or Garageband.
Thanks for the 'sound' advice diabolical (yes, pun intended). I have always been interested obtaining a Booss Rhythm machine. The Alesis popped up on Craigslist at a convenient time and price. Read some good reviews about it, and I am sure I would get more use and enjoyment out of it if I watched a few YouTube videos about operating it.i should probably add that I have a wife and kids and not much disposable income for my toys. $100 price range is comfortable, $200 would be pushing it. Again, thanks for your suggestions.
Are people still using multi-track cassette recorders? I have seen some on eBay and Amazon that appear to be priced for as much as they had cost new. Are they being used in conjunction with other equipment or what? I am obviously out of the loop.
1984 Yamaha SG1000X
2006 Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty 3
2011 Fender Mustang IV
2011 Gretsch G5120 Electromatic
2014 Fender Mustang I (V.2)
2016 Gibson Custom Shop Standard Historic 1957 Les Paul Goldtop Reissue VOS
I imagine some are, was it the Foo Fighters who recorded a full album on tape or something? I'd stay away from it unless you want to be driven insane. I would sum it up as the definition of just incredible ball ache. If you're secretly Butch Vig go nuts
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Multitrack cassette recorders are pretty crap tbh. You'd be better off with something like the Boss BR80 recorder. When bands record to tape they're usually referring to reel to reel machines (which can sound awesome).
Quote by Killing Hand
Multitrack cassette recorders are pretty crap tbh. You'd be better off with something like the Boss BR80 recorder. When bands record to tape they're usually referring to reel to reel machines (which can sound awesome).

Note acknowledged Killing Hand. However, is there a way to record digitally through a cassette 4 track? Maybe like, hooking it up to a computer or some other device? Again, I am not a tech savvy individual as you can tell. Although my style would fall into a rock genre,I love the sound quality of 60s era Motown recordings. If there is any advice out there on how to mimic or recreate that style in a bedroom/home setting it would be greatly appreciated. In other words I like dirty or gritty sounding recordings.
1984 Yamaha SG1000X
2011 Fender Mustang IV
Last edited by jamesmickanen at Jan 28, 2016,
You can use multitrack analog back and forth as much as you want. Problem is that the tape motor drifts a little different every time so synchronization is a nightmare.
You can transfer full session recorded on tape to digital for mixing and that's where you'd find some coolness.

There's a healthy market for analog reel to reel any people still pay premium for good machine.
Last edited by diabolical at Feb 2, 2016,
^^ Wot he said.

Take the line out of 4-track (2xphono) to line in 3.5mm (if you have one) on your soundcard. You can record the stereo mix ont' PC. Analogue to digital type thing.
Well my Tascam 4-track cassette recorder appears to have finally kicked the bucket. It will not power on. RIP. Moving on to digital for sure, I am hoping to score one with a built in drum machine and CD burner like the Zoom MRS 802 B. Is anyone knowledgeable on this piece of equipment?
1984 Yamaha SG1000X
2011 Fender Mustang IV
Quote by jamesmickanen
Well my Tascam 4-track cassette recorder appears to have finally kicked the bucket. It will not power on. RIP. Moving on to digital for sure, I am hoping to score one with a built in drum machine and CD burner like the Zoom MRS 802 B. Is anyone knowledgeable on this piece of equipment?

Maybe start new thread?
Hmmm, I see. Farewell.
1984 Yamaha SG1000X
2011 Fender Mustang IV