Going thru some guitars and the look really nice. I used to own one. I enjoyed the sound. I do like the noseless pic ups.
Americans I can't really afford. Is there a good in the middle that won't break my bank? Also have good quality?
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
it depends on the pickups really.
If you put USA pickups in a MIM I highly doubt youd be able to tell any difference. The same will work in reverse.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I've owned a MIM strat for 5 or 6 years, and an American Deluxe strat for a little over a month now.

The MIM does suffer in terms of spec and components, but it's well put together, and while it is different, I'd still say it plays well. It is a little noisy, though a pickup swap might alleviate that.

The only thing about it I don't really like are the 'vintage' style saddles on the bridge. The Deluxe has high mass saddles on, and I find those more comfortable, though ofc YMMV.

I believe that G&L make strat-types around the MIM price point. Might be worth looking in to.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by Robbgnarly
If you put USA pickups in a MIM I highly doubt youd be able to tell any difference. The same will work in reverse.

For most folks this is very true, and I'd even go so far as to wager that many wouldn't be able to tell a great difference between the two guitars' tones even if they were left stock. Some would though. Fit, finish, and hardware are gunna be more obvious differences than will the overall tone, especially depending on what era you get your MIM from.

I have a totally stock MIM strat from somewhere around 1990 that sounds gorgeous, better than some of the brand new American stuff. Just depends. The "buy a MIM and swap pickups" is a good plan as well.
Biggest differences between a MIM and a MIA aren't in sound or sound quality, but in features, materials and build quality.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Mij?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Well I like blues, alternative and punk. What about the players strat. Think there 799. They good quality or just a gold touch up to make them look better
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
Quote by silly6-string
Going thru some guitars and the look really nice. I used to own one. I enjoyed the sound. I do like the noseless pic ups.
Americans I can't really afford. Is there a good in the middle that won't break my bank? Also have good quality?

Not a big difference in sound really. The USA has better hardware and better build but the Mex is certainly a gig quality axe and excellent value. I am just astonished that they can often be found used in excellent condition for around $250. That leaves cash for a decent tube amp.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
the MIM classic series is probably worth a look. more vintage-sounding pickups than the MIM standards.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Do you know what the difference between an MIM and an MIA strat is?

One is made in Mexcio, by Mexicans, the other is made in America.....by Mexicans.

Seriously though, the features and options on MIM and MIA strats are so varied you really can't just say an MIM or MIA strat is better.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Robbgnarly

this in a nut shell. little to no difference in sound when using the same pickups in them. stock MIM pups are ceramic and a little higher output. they don't get the classic strat sound as well as the traditional alnico pups do. once you start adding distortion the diffeences become less apparent.
See if you can find a used 60's Classic Player Strat.I don't think they make em anymore.I have one and it's a great guitar.
It's mim but it has the Custom Shop 69 pickups,2 point trem,slightly shiny neck with no skunk stripe,Spaghetti logo.Compound radius fretboard.Great value imo.Basically a vintage-esque guitar with some newer appointments.
having played both for some time i will say they both sound similar and definitely could be made to sound the same with some pickup swaps and the like. I would say currently playing the American Deluxe there is a very different feel to the guitar. I am not talking about like mojo or any of that i mean the deluxe is just feels heavier and more put together. This would probably vary from year to year and from model to model in comparison... but my 1994 MIM strat was a great guitar, my 2005 deluxe feels so solid and perfect. There was a big difference in feel to me, sound wise both good.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
It really comes down to the tuners and pickups... and resale value.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
It really comes down to the tuners and pickups... and resale value.

percentage wise MIM and US have about the same resale value.
I have a 90's mim strat with lace sensors in it and I can not see or hear a difference. If I had to be pressed, I would say that the neck feels better but that could just be favoritism speaking.
Quote by monwobobbo
percentage wise MIM and US have about the same resale value.

I was thinking more so in 20 years.
silly imma slap you.

strats are typically the sum of their parts. not to say a mexi couldn't sound better, play better and feel better than a given mia strat.

at the end of the day we don't all have the same preferences, which results in picking up a strat being similar to playing the lotto. every once in a while you pick up a winner then have to check the headstock to see what it is. mexi, mij, mia, whatever.

if you know what pups you prefer it makes it a lot easier, same goes for just about every spec that makes up the instrument. nut width, fretboard radius, fret sizes, neck profile etc.

what's the best strat? probably some multi thousand dollar custom shop job. what's the best strat for you? hard to say, play a ton of them and figure out what you like about them, then look for that one.

or just build one the way you want it.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
My favorite strat has mahogany and humbuckers and a fixed bridge and is only a single-cutaway with a D-shaped neck.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
Mij?

MIA > MIJ >> MIM >>> Squier

experienced stratters will be able to tell the differences between them all. The most subtly glaring differences between the MIMs and MIAs for me besides the pickups are things like tuners, knobs and frets--the MIAs just have a perceptibly higher quality feel to them. The bridge makes a pretty big difference to me too, the MIAs just plainly have better ones with better sustain and smoothness in operation.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
I was thinking more so in 20 years.

in 20 years we'll have to see if Fender is still making regular guitars in the US or even mexico. if US production of non custom shop models happens then sure the older US made ones will certainly have greater value. same can be said about MIM models though if production moves to asia. lot of what ifs though. now they have about teh same resale value percentage wise.
I can't hear the difference between MIA and MIM Fenders. All the more reason for a guy like me to save a few hundred bucks and go MIM.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
My favorite strat has mahogany and humbuckers and a fixed bridge and is only a single-cutaway with a D-shaped neck.

Don't forget the 24.75" scale length

Quote by Acϵ♠
MIA > MIJ >> MIM >>> Squier

experienced stratters will be able to tell the differences between them all. The most subtly glaring differences between the MIMs and MIAs for me besides the pickups are things like tuners, knobs and frets--the MIAs just have a perceptibly higher quality feel to them. The bridge makes a pretty big difference to me too, the MIAs just plainly have better ones with better sustain and smoothness in operation.

Best non custom shop strat I ever played was a jimmie vaughan tex mex strat. I borrowed a shop model for about a week before the one I wanted arrived and both were excellent in every way. That model was noticeable for the bridge it used, which was much nicer than what the average MIM got. Hell, the affinity series squier I had for my first guitar out played a lot of MIA strats I've tried.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Mexican strats sounds great for the price. I have an HSS mexican and im very happy with it
This thread comes and goes in many forums why don't you play a few and make your own mind up ??? same goes for les pauls et al or better still get a G&L I have played a couple and they are superb except for the swamp ash which is very heavy but Im sure somebody out there would love it
I've been playing guitar for almost 30 years now. The OP asked if there is a big sound difference. The short answer is "no" All these other posts about these minute differences... I have seen american strats that left the factory in pretty bad shape and I have had MIJ and MIM strats that blew away Mia strats in every way. So, it kind of depends on your luck of the draw.
My strat & tele are both Mexican. Great guitars. Buy them used if you can & you will never lose a dime on them. I've knocked my strat over in the middle of the night on my way to the bathroom, it fell on it's face & when I plugged it in the next day, it was 100% fine. Mexican Fenders are like the AK-47's of guitars. Cheap, reliable, durable.