Guys, This is a genuine question so go easy! I have been involved in few very relaxed jamming sessions just recently with a group of mates (nothing special) and just every now and again we seem to hit on something that sounds ok. 5 different instruments involved.

Apart from recording it on your phone, which can be a bit shit at times, does anybody use anything that they could recommend that would just record better and not cost fortunes?
Zoom H1. Select the recording format, get a level check, push the big red button to record. Even a caveman can do it and the results are excellent if you place the mic carefully in a decent sounding room.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jan 11, 2016,
Quote by Cajundaddy
Zoom H1. Select the recording format, get a level check, push the big red button to record. Even a caveman can do it and the results are excellent if you place the mic carefully in a decent sounding room.

Thanks Cajundaddy that would be perfect!
I'd go even cheaper - get an used Boss Micro Br (about $60) - has a built mic and has an option to record straight to mp3 or multitrack if you think someone might want to lay some extra parts on that for songwriting purposes. It also has pitch slow down and built in guitar processor that you can record ideas with. Could also record off of a mixer if you run your band that way via its 1/8 stereo input.
The Zoom is also good, but this is even cheaper
Quote by diabolical
I'd go even cheaper - get an used Boss Micro Br (about $60) - has a built mic and has an option to record straight to mp3 or multitrack if you think someone might want to lay some extra parts on that for songwriting purposes. It also has pitch slow down and built in guitar processor that you can record ideas with. Could also record off of a mixer if you run your band that way via its 1/8 stereo input.
The Zoom is also good, but this is even cheaper

Thanks diabolical, looking into the Boss Micro too. Look good.
I would also say take a look at the Tascam DP-006. It's just around $100 at most places and has built in microphones, 6 track recording, records to an SD card and has a USB out to transfer tracks to your computer etc. Great for live recording or home studio/rehearsal recording with 6 tracks available. Really small (about this size of a small paperback book) and very useful. The Zoom is very good and less complicated than the Tascam but it also does less for the same money.
Attachments:
tascam dp-006 2.jpg
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Jan 13, 2016,
I would go with the best zoom you could spend your money on, I guess. But to be honest, I would just go with phones. They can sound shit, but if you just want to remember ideas, you can set it up correctly to do that. Put it in the right spot, and don't play too loud.

If you want more quality, then you might be better off going another way, and kind of building a home studio sort of thing.

But the zooms do sound good, and higher end ones let you plug in other mics as well, and you could get a decent demo tape sort of recording of your band out of that. But it's still not a finished product you'd want to sell really.

EDIT: that tascam thing looks like it might be cool too, but I never tried one.
Last edited by fingrpikingood at Jan 13, 2016,