I just bought a used guitar from Guitar Center. I wasn't able to play it before I bought it because it was at a store across the country, so I had it shipped to me. I just got it today and I plugged it into my amp, and there's a ton of loud buzzing that won't go away when I touch the strings or any metal on it. I checked the jack, but the wires seem to be soldered on good. It's not the amp because my other guitars play through it fine with just a slight hum. What could the buzzing be caused by? I really wanna get this figured out today and hopefully fixed myself (I have a soldering iron).
Thanks!
Take it into your local GC and have them fix it. There's a ground wire that's unconnected, and it's pretty tough to trouble shoot it without having the guitar in hand.

Next time have the guitar shipped to your local GC and pick it up from there. That way you can check it out at the store, identify most issues and have no argument regarding shipping damage.
Quote by dspellman
Take it into your local GC and have them fix it. There's a ground wire that's unconnected, and it's pretty tough to trouble shoot it without having the guitar in hand.

Next time have the guitar shipped to your local GC and pick it up from there. That way you can check it out at the store, identify most issues and have no argument regarding shipping damage.

Okay, thank you! Do you think they'll fix it for free since it's their problem?
Quote by AwakeandAlive
Okay, thank you! Do you think they'll fix it for free since it's their problem?

They should.
for hum that isn't 60 cycle hum and not a grounding issue a lot can be done. When I plug in guitars with insanely hot pickups i get no buzz even with my hands far away from the strings or anything metal. Here's some tips.

but for your guitar get GC to look at it, i mean you paid for something that should work right? unless i planned to modify the crap out of a production model that i bought as i'm extremely picky no sense in doing so. Also get them to do a free setup on the guitar if they didnt.

copper or aluminum foil shielding inside the guitars control cavities , make sure to ground it or you're wasting your time , copper shielding tape you need roughly 2m (6-ish feet) of. It's 3$ american on ebay so it'll totally break bank

quality guitar cables - gold tipped planet waves , monster or that brand im not mentioning like mogami.

a power bar with RFI and EMI reduction sort of like ZZounds site sells , this is excellent for apartment buildings and older houses too because there is a lot of noise from the walls that pickups pick up.

a noise gate pedal if its really high gain and you want to clear stuff up. But noise gate pedals are something you got to learn how to use. lower output pickups aren't as noisy but as we know not desirable for metal and although actives solve a lot of these issues I hate actives, they sound fake and you have nowhere near the options of passives.

but since the string ground is fine remember ground is a trail outside the guitar, perhaps the jacks wires are in the wrong places? honestly let the shop figure it out for you. My friend does amazing fret work but if he has to spend 4 hours leveling an ibanez which he is a big fan of or gibsons frets he's returning it.
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Jan 11, 2016,
Well this is weird.. I just plugged the guitar in and there's almost no buzz, just a very low hum in the background (I get hum a lot with my other guitars too). I had unscrewed the jack to look at it, and took the back panel off to see if there were any lose wires earlier (everything is back together now), could that have any thing to do with the buzz going away? Should I still take it in to Guitar Center?

EDIT: The Hum got slightly louder (still not as loud as earlier) I guess something is still wrong with it.
Last edited by AwakeandAlive at Jan 11, 2016,
sound like you may have "dirty" power...not sure where you live but where I live (new zealand) we use 240V and I have issues in loads of places when it comes to "dirty" power. Try plugging into a mates house or something and see if it still happens
Quote by sytharnia1560
sound like you may have "dirty" power...not sure where you live but where I live (new zealand) we use 240V and I have issues in loads of places when it comes to "dirty" power. Try plugging into a mates house or something and see if it still happens

I always get some hum in my amp no matter what guitar I use, but the hum with this one is different and definitely seems to be coming from the guitar.
Also, it's weird because when it's on the clean channel it sounds fine, but when I have distortion on it hums pretty loud (the usual hum on my amp is very low) and when I touch the strings instead of the hum getting lower, it gets louder. I've never had that happen before.
Are you going from humbuckers to single coils? They do make a bit more noise.
Quote by SpiderM
Are you going from humbuckers to single coils? They do make a bit more noise.

No, still humbuckers. I'm gonna try and take it into Guitar Center today. Hopefully they'll be able to do something about the buzz.
Took it to GC, the guy couldn't hear any buzzing. He plugged it into the same model amp I have and there was a super low hum. Got it home, and the hum seems louder now. I'm guessing this guitar just hates my amp.

EDIT: I just plugged my other two guitars (that weren't buzzing) into the amp and they were buzzing too (but only when I wasn't touching the strings). I'm guessing the jack on my amp is shot (it was lose).

EDIT 2: Does anybody know if Peavey sells replacement parts for their Vypyrs (I have the VIP 1)?
Last edited by AwakeandAlive at Jan 12, 2016,
Have you tried using a different cable? Shitty or damaged cables can get noisy.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
Have you tried using a different cable? Shitty or damaged cables can get noisy.

I just got a new cable (I had the same one before and never had problems with it till it wore out). It's hard for me to test cables because my other ones tend to be noisy or cut out, but I'll try later.
I tried another cable and it was the same. It's weird because there is absolutely no hum on my clean channel, but there is a very loud hum on my distortion channel. I always got very low hum with the distortion, but not this bad. I'm gonna see if I can find a replacement part and the replace the lose input and see what that does.
Try some contact cleaner like Deoxit first, spray a little on a jack and work it in and out and see if that doesn't fix the issue. You might also try a factory reset on the amp if it has one. That can sometimes sort out issues with computer based amps.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I'm pretty sure most (if not all) of the buzzing is coming from my amp because it's doing it with all my guitars (the new one more so). When I'm not touching anything metal on the guitar it hums/buzzes, and as I get my hand closer to the pickups (without touching anything) the hum/buzz gets worse. What could this be from? Could it be from the jack being a little lose? I find it weird how when I touch the other guitars the buzz goes away, but it never goes away on my new one though. Nothing happening right now really makes sense.
I tried playing through amplitube and the guitar definitely has a buzz to it. I can't figure out why it wasn't buzzing when I took it in though. The guy looked it over and said he couldn't hear any buzz or find anything wrong with it.

EDIT: This is the weirdest grounding issue I've ever had. The buzz is constant and loud and won't stop when I touch anything on the guitar except the jack, it completely stops when I touch the jack.

EDIT 2: I picked my guitar up and put it down again and now it's quieter, not completely gone, but quiet. Could it be my lower quality cables are just affecting this guitar more than the others? It's weird though because I've nevr had a problem with that cable before. It's a GLS Audio Professional Series Noise Free. What could cause the buzz to get louder and quieter?

EDIT 3: Think I might have found the bottom of this. I turned the tone knob all the way down and it completely stopped. The guy at the store checked the knobs though which is weird. Now I turned it back up and the noise is still gone.
Last edited by AwakeandAlive at Jan 12, 2016,
You should check the ground wiring in your guitar, is the bridge grounded?
Also, maybe your mains plug is bad and it doesn`t ground your amp properly.