i recently got a marshall JCM800 1watt head, and it has no FX loop.
i want to get some effects, like delay, chorus, flanger, maybe in stompbox form or a multi effects unit like the tc nova system, or line 6 M9.
my question is, how would it sound in the input of the amp? because i've heard that all time and modulation effects should come after the distortion, and since i love the distortion of the amp and i will be using it, it will all come before the distortion.
In my experience, when using modulation and delay in front of the amp, you have to use conservative settings to get usable sounds. I actually preferred delay in front of the amp, but you had to be real careful with the level settings if you didn't want a useless mess. You probably won't want to have the gain cranked on the amp either.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
you can just use an OD/distortion pedal for distortion and put that before your modulation if u want. if ur not gonna use modulation all the time this would be a viable option. obviously it'd feel like a waste of your JCM gain if you did that all the time..
Also, eddie van halen used modulation all the time and he just plugged his shit right in front of the amp. i feel like the FX loop is overhyped tbh
^EVH did some crazy stuff though, some of his effects were after the power amp in his rig. He also had a variac trying to kill his plexi's as well.

Take your amp to the guitar store and try out all the pedals you want in to your amp, that way you'll know for sure what is gonna work and what's not.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
experiment. you want to keep the incoming signal clean for the delay so it does into the amp reasonably clean so the sound doesn't mush up.
Lot's of classic amps don't have effect loops. Delays and so forth will sound fine out front as long as you are careful with the settings. You won't get a really clean delay sound if you are using distortion - but with low/moderate drive [like what your amp is probably best at] it should sound quite tasty.

I prefer using flangers and phasers in front of the amp even if I have an effects loop

Using a combination of pedal drive and amp drive to get the amount of gain you currently have could help [run the delay or whatever after the drive pedal]. That way the amp will be running a bit cleaner which will help the delays sound cleaner.

The important thing is to experiment and find what works for you
RIP Gooze

cats
modulation is pretty much personal preference- some people prefer it in front, some in the loop. it tends to sound more exaggerated in the loop, more subtle in front.

delay can sound muddy in front if you're using a lot of distortion. but again some people like it in front.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Set the gain on the amp to a cool AC/DC-like crunch and roll off the volume to get a clean tone, use a drive pedal (set to clean boost) in front of the delay to get high-gain sounds. Works like a charm.
Quote by Kevin Saale
In my experience, when using modulation and delay in front of the amp, you have to use conservative settings to get usable sounds. I actually preferred delay in front of the amp, but you had to be real careful with the level settings if you didn't want a useless mess. You probably won't want to have the gain cranked on the amp either.

Basically came here to say this. It can work just fine in front of the amp, as long as you keep in mind that the amp is going to take everything you give it and, well, amplify it.

You can get a lot more aggressive with your pedal settings when they're placed in the loop. But they can work up front if you're conservative.
For me... I have Boss GT8 and haven't used the FX loop of the board or the amp till few months ago. The sound is better using FX Loop but really not a huge difference.

In other words, if you are not willing to upgrade the amp to something with FX Loop, you can still use all pedal types in front of the amp but adjust the settings to what makes you satisfied.
Guitars:___________________________
'12 Gibson 1958 Standard Reissue
'14 Fender American Special Stratocaster
'14 LTD MH-1000FR STBLK
'14 Squier Classic Vibe 50's Telecaster
'05 Ibanez RG320FM

Amp:__________
Laney IRT Studio

Guitar Effects:_____________________
Boss GT-8 Guitar Multi Effects Processor
Dunlop Original CryBaby Wah
TC Electronic FlashBack Delay