I took out the pickups on my PRS 7-string guitar. Each one had four wires. The guitar had a push/pull pot. I tried to install new pickups that had just two wires coming out of each. I was unable to hook them up right. There is a wiring diagram in this link: https://www.prsguitars.com/csc/schematics/schem08/custom3waytoggle.pdf

Does anyone know what to do? The "new" pickups are from my 2000 Epiphone.
You won't be able to use the push/pull function of the one pot with 2 wire pickups. You need to find a wiring diagram that eliminates the push/pull and go from there. Also, unless those epi pickups are for a 7-string they probably aren't going to sound quite right. Hell, and even if they are the PRS pickups are probably gonna be better. Honestly not sure what you're trying to accomplish here :/
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
The PRS 7-string pickups are terrible. The Epiphone 7-string ones are a lot better. Thanks for telling me I need a diagram that eliminates that push/pull function.
Sure thing, and if there is an option for 2 wire humbuckers, go for that as well.
Can you give me the exact words to phrase it in Google? I tried something like, "wiring diagram how to bypass push/pull pot," but ti did not give me anything good.
http://www.irongear.co.uk/2_x_humbuckers_4-wire___1_vol__1_tone__3-way_toggle__no_coil_switching_igwatermark.gif

That is the best I could find. Ignore the green and white wires on the pickups in that diagram. You'll also have to figure out how the PRS toggle works and work that into diagram, but that shouldn't be too difficult.

^yeah, and that, lol.
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Jan 11, 2016,
Do the two wires just go into the push/pull pot then? Does one of the wires have to go to the toggle switch or blade?
For a non coil-splitting setup the hot wires from the pickups should go to the switch and the grounds should go to ground. None of the pickup wires should go to pots, unless your ground is the back of one of the pots, in which case the ground may go there.

Edit: and if all of that sounded like gibberish you should read up on guitar wiring and learn some of the basics. 2 humbuckers (2 wire) with 1 tone and 1 volume and a 3 way switch is one of the simplest wiring setups for guitars. In your case the push/pull pot may be somewhat confusing, but you simply ignore the push/pull part sticking off the back and use the 3 lugs on the side like a standard pot.
I tried it to the switch. It does not work.

One person says to do it to the pot and one says to the switch.
Can you take a picture of what you have right now?

Also, every diagram I have ever seen for wiring 2 humbuckers to 1 vol and 1 tone (or 1 vol 2 tone or 2 vol 2 tone) has the hot wire from the pups going to the switch and the ground going to ground. If you connected both hots from the pups directly to the pots you would have both pickups on at the same time and the selector switch would do nothing.
Here is the guitar before I unsoldered the old wires: http://www.captivawebdesign.com/images/prs1.jpg

Here is what I have right now: http://www.captivawebdesign.com/images/prs2.jpg

The red wire is from the neck pickup. I did not solder the bridge, since the neck did not work.
Last edited by NostraHistoria at Jan 11, 2016,
I wired both wires to do the available spots on the pot already. It did not work.
^^Yeah, he needs to completely ignore the push/pull part because he is replacing pup with 2 wire pups, so the push/pull for coil splitting isn't possible.

TS, do you have the two wires coming from the pickup soldered together in that second pic?

Edit: Honestly, all that wiring looks like total junk, I would start from scratch if I was you.
Yes, I have them soldered to the toggle where the one wire from the previous pickups was. Now, I think that part is actually ground. However, there was no other wire from the neck pickup to the switch when I originally began the project.
^I understand that, but the wiring is going to be different to eliminate the push/pull pot.
I circled the red wire from the neck pickup to the switch. I have both wires soldered to that central spot. It was connected there before.

http://www.captivawebdesign.com/images/prs2.jpg
You see where that white wire goes to the terminal closest to the camera on the selector switch in the first picture? That is where the hot wire from the neck pickup should go. That spot you're referring to is being used as a ground and should only have the ground wire going there.
Which white one? The one on the left or right?
Can you actually circle the spot I have to wire it to?
I will try now. It will take 10-20 minutes. In the meanwhile, can you tell me where the bridge wires are supposed to go? Oh, one more thing: is one of the wires specifically made to be for ground and one for wiring to the switch?
Technically no, but if the pickup is shielded that would be tied to the ground wire, also, if you had one pickup hooked up the right way and one reversed you'd get phase problems with both pickups on at the same time, so its really best to have everything hooked up properly. I couldn't tell you which is which without seeing the wires and the pickups more closely. Maybe take out the bridge pup and show up the end of the wires and show us where the wires go into the bobbin on the pickup.
I cannot take them out again, since I mounted them. They were difficult to mod. I will work on it.
It works. I learned that you have to have one of the wires grounded or else you will not get sound. I also learned that you can check which wire is the ground by simply touching it to the part of the switch that is supposed to transmit sound.

Thanks for your help Kevin Saale!
The Epiphone pickups are a lot better. The PRS ones are junk. The only good sound was in the bridge with distortion.
Quote by NostraHistoria
It works. I learned that you have to have one of the wires grounded or else you will not get sound. I also learned that you can check which wire is the ground by simply touching it to the part of the switch that is supposed to transmit sound.

Thanks for your help Kevin Saale!

Bleh, I should've mentioned that part in bold

No problem man, glad I could help
Quote by Kevin Saale
^^Yeah, he needs to completely ignore the push/pull part because he is replacing pup with 2 wire pups, so the push/pull for coil splitting isn't possible.

TS, do you have the two wires coming from the pickup soldered together in that second pic?

Edit: Honestly, all that wiring looks like total junk, I would start from scratch if I was you.

All the wiring was stock in the first pic. The second pic had the old pickups removed. I only soldered two wires from the neck pickup in it. It works. I am probably not going to open that cavity again.