Hi there,

hopefully people with better knowledge can help me out with this:

I'm looking for a tube amp that is suitable for bedroom playing as this is my stage at the moment . I'm a big fan of alter bridge so id like something that can get close to a myles kennedy or mark tremonti sound. I know it won't be anywhere near because terminate has a super rig but something with a similar tone would be good

i currently have a line 6 spider 15 and the tone is awful hence why I'm looking for a tube amp

i would like to spend anywhere between 150-200 if possible

thanks guys
Honestly, at that price range and considering its a bedroom amp, you might not want a tube amp. I don't know what prices are like on your side of the pond, but something like a Peavey Vypyr or maybe a POD with headphones might suit you better.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
Honestly, at that price range and considering its a bedroom amp, you might not want a tube amp. I don't know what prices are like on your side of the pond, but something like a Peavey Vypyr or maybe a POD with headphones might suit you better.

Yeah, I'm kinda thinking along those lines, too.
I mean, it's not impossible for 300 quid - you could get a used Laney VC50 and an OD and that'd get you into the ballpark.

However, you might be better off with something else. You can find used Flextone 3 combos (with floorboard) for around 150 pounds, and that's a killer bedroom setup.
Cool, you got most of the basic questions out of the way, but if you could let us know roughly where you're at (nearest major city or the like) and if you can buy used gear that would be helpful. If used gear is an option then that really opens up the possibilities at that price range. Hopefully some of the UK (I'm assuming you're from the UK if you put the price in pounds) guys can chime in with some options you can afford.
Hi sorry, i live near Southampton UK so anywhere round there is good
And yes in pounds please
Cool, now your best bet is to go out there and test out some of our suggestions and see what you like. In fact, play everything you can, even stuff out of your price range. You might find something you really like that is worth saving for.
Quote by alexriffs
Hi sorry, i live near Southampton UK so anywhere round there is good
And yes in pounds please

Nevada Music in Portsmouth has a massive site you'd want to look in.
How much does a used Peavey ValveKing 112 Combo and an inexpensive tubescreamer pedal go for?
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
DSL401 or DSL15C would be my first suggestion as a guy showed you can get them used to close to what your budget it.
Tech 21 TM30 if you can get your hands on one. Laney VC15 is also a good choice but that might be over your budget new, so look used.
how quietly do you have to play?

new you're going to struggle to beat jet city, as rob said. but if you have to play whisper-quietly it still might not be the best idea- even low wattage tube amps get really loud if you want to crank them.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If going valve you want something with a great master volume. You'll struggle at that budget.

Tremonti uses fender, Bognor and Mesa. Miles uses Diezel I think. Lots of info on the web.

In your position I'd look for a vypr or pod. You could get a hd500 second hand and use headphones until you can afford decent monitors or wedge.

I've got a 1w Marshall and an IRT studio. I prefer my 50w JVM at low volumes

Edit - you could try an irt studio second hand. It has a headphones output and you could use that until you get a cab. Just because I prefer the JVM doesn't mean it isn't a very good, capable amp. All you're getting here are a bunch of options, yours is what counts so have a listen in Pompy Nevada.
Last edited by -Ed- at Jan 16, 2016,
Blackstar HT1R at less than £200. It is 1 watt. This is MORE than loud enough for bedroom use. Plug it into a 4x12 cab and your neighbours (across the road) will be complaining (seriously). It's almost an all tube amp. The DSL15C will IMHO be FAR too loud. The 1 watt Marshall is overpriced (even at the reduced sale price !). The Blackstar guys know what they are doing! It's a nice little amp. Note the fact that if you plug it into bigger cabs (ht401) or even 4x 12 - the difference will be immense. I would suggest the ht1r on its own when people are around and then (when funds permit) get yourself a 2x12 or 4x12 cab and have a blast. You can always use the cab with a bigger amplifier head later on . remember to use a speaker cable to connect the ht1r to the cabinet (and not a guitar lead!!!!). Oh, the ht1r output is 4 to 16 Ohm so you should be able to drive many types of cab make.

The ht1r on its on with its built in cabinet will most likely be too loud at full volume. It has 2 channels and you also have headphone output and mp3 input and direct in to a daw. It's designed in the UK. Check it out on the reviews on YouTube. Oh, and the "r" stands for reverb - you can get the amp without the reverb if you want and it is slightly cheaper.
BTW, I live in the UK (Midlands). I'm sure your local guitar store will let you demo one. Nevada Music in Portsmouth stock the HT1R (and the rest of the blackstar range including the 4x8 cab ht401 so you could try ht1r on its own and then with an extension cab.). If you want to frighten yourself, try a bigger amp and remember "you're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off" (said in my best Michael Caine accent). The Guitar Shop and The Music Shop in Southampton don't appear to stock them
Last edited by monabri at Feb 12, 2016,
Quote by monabri
The Blackstar guys know what they are doing!

I agree with you 100%, but I kind of suspect we mean different things by that

My main contention with your argument is that, as you admit, the 1 watt Blackstar will be too loud if you want to crank it too- so why worry about the wattage, try a bunch of amps and see which sounds best at the volume you're likely to be playing at most (which isn't always the low wattage amp, for what it's worth).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?