Hate to be the bringer of bad news but I think you must hear it in order to improve. I'll try to be polite so don't take this as just straight up trash talking, god knows I've gone through plenty of harsh criticism over the years that is way worse than what I'm about to say.

This isn't so much a Jason Becker style as it is a complete rip off of Altitudes. I'd avoid trying to sound too much like him cause people will just automatically think "oh he's trying to sound like Jason Becker but is no where as good as Jason Becker." You must develop your own style which in time you will. But Jason Becker is definitely a great guitarist to be influenced by but there are some key things you must remember if you want to achieve the technicality that Becker does.

Your bends are very off key (not talking about the whammy bar, just regular bends). I'd work on those a lot. So say you want to work on your whole step bends. Find a note you want to bend, let's say 15th fret on the G string. First play the 17th fret so you know the exact pitch that needs to be found. Now bend the 15th fret to sound exactly on pitch as the 17th fret. Incorporate this into your practice and improvisation.

Seems you practice more with the whammy bar as you seem to have a better handle on that then everything else.

Either your guitar is out of tune, the intonation is off, or you aren't hitting the right notes. If you can't tell those are way out of key then you should listen carefully. Playing to a click track, drum looper, metronome, whatever will help you keep in sync while doing the harmonies, the timing was very off.

The sweeps need more work, I'd start practicing those slower to a metronome as with all the other licks as well. Practicing slow to a metronome is absolutely key to becoming a fast and accurate player. It takes time yes, years in fact to get very good. You must incorporate this into your mind as soon as possible, IT WILL TAKE TIME. We all want to be good right away but you will quickly find yourself forming bad playing habits that you will have to correct later down the road.

Now the level of playing you are at kinda reminds me of how I was into my 2nd or 3rd year of guitar, and then I started forming bad habits. This is why I am telling you all this, not to be an asshole, but to help you.

With Jason Becker as your teacher and guide, you can definitely become good! But remember to gather more influences besides him to make yourself unique and really focus on your practice routine.

You already have a good handle on the whammy bar, that is one of your strengths, so really zero in on that. Like Steve Vai said, focus on your strengths, not your weaknesses. Everyone can improve in some aspect and later on you will realize what your strengths are.
Quote by 6metal6legend6
Nice. Your phrasing and vibrato use, as well as your use of the tremolo bar is very accurate and tight. Good job. Can't think of anything to critique it really, just keep doing what you're doing.

C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1694549

Thanks a lot for checking it out !

I´m gonna check your stuff out

really appreciate that !
Quote by apothegm
Hate to be the bringer of bad news but I think you must hear it in order to improve. I'll try to be polite so don't take this as just straight up trash talking, god knows I've gone through plenty of harsh criticism over the years that is way worse than what I'm about to say.

This isn't so much a Jason Becker style as it is a complete rip off of Altitudes. I'd avoid trying to sound too much like him cause people will just automatically think "oh he's trying to sound like Jason Becker but is no where as good as Jason Becker." You must develop your own style which in time you will. But Jason Becker is definitely a great guitarist to be influenced by but there are some key things you must remember if you want to achieve the technicality that Becker does.

Your bends are very off key (not talking about the whammy bar, just regular bends). I'd work on those a lot. So say you want to work on your whole step bends. Find a note you want to bend, let's say 15th fret on the G string. First play the 17th fret so you know the exact pitch that needs to be found. Now bend the 15th fret to sound exactly on pitch as the 17th fret. Incorporate this into your practice and improvisation.

Seems you practice more with the whammy bar as you seem to have a better handle on that then everything else.

Either your guitar is out of tune, the intonation is off, or you aren't hitting the right notes. If you can't tell those are way out of key then you should listen carefully. Playing to a click track, drum looper, metronome, whatever will help you keep in sync while doing the harmonies, the timing was very off.

The sweeps need more work, I'd start practicing those slower to a metronome as with all the other licks as well. Practicing slow to a metronome is absolutely key to becoming a fast and accurate player. It takes time yes, years in fact to get very good. You must incorporate this into your mind as soon as possible, IT WILL TAKE TIME. We all want to be good right away but you will quickly find yourself forming bad playing habits that you will have to correct later down the road.

Now the level of playing you are at kinda reminds me of how I was into my 2nd or 3rd year of guitar, and then I started forming bad habits. This is why I am telling you all this, not to be an asshole, but to help you.

With Jason Becker as your teacher and guide, you can definitely become good! But remember to gather more influences besides him to make yourself unique and really focus on your practice routine.

You already have a good handle on the whammy bar, that is one of your strengths, so really zero in on that. Like Steve Vai said, focus on your strengths, not your weaknesses. Everyone can improve in some aspect and later on you will realize what your strengths are.

Well what can I say, THANKS, for being honest and giving me critic !
well just gonna tell you what I think haha

yes you´re right it´s very close to Altitudes, but it´s not actually just altitudes, it´s very heavy influenced or you may say the same as : Perpetual Tudes from the blackberry Jams album....I don´t know if you know that album, but it´s on youtube, and that the piece that made me doing that video haha. but I agree it´s very very close to altitudes.

So your main ciritic points are bendings and sweeping. So it seems for me at least,
as for the bendings I try to, and give my best in improving them. One thing I´ve got to tell you, that is actually quite funny haha, Well I didn´t really practice the whammy bar a lot, It´s my first Floyd Rose guitar and I always thought that I´ve got to improve my whammy skills but bendings I´m practicing them a lot actually. I´ve talked to Ben Higgins who is a really awesome guitar player on youtube and he also gave me some bending tipps, though he said I´m good at doing bendings...anyway I´m practicing that.

Well sweeping what can I say, I´ve learned sweeping the wrong way that´s for sure....so at the moment I´m practicing my sweep technique a lot, also with metronome. So I fully agree to it...and I try to improve that.

Well one last thing, I´ve got a Full song cover of Altitudes on my channel, it is still my most ambitious cover on my channel I think, I´d wonder what you think of it, so I´ve you got time, I´m very open for your comment, just wonder if you think my bendings are better there or my general playing. Because this video was shot in 1 day and It´s all just improvised stuff.... so yeah

here´s the link by the way : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMvH463QzQI

And don´t worry, I´m happy to get critic like that, it hepls me to improve myself, and it helps me also to know on what to work !

cheers and keep playn
Last edited by christian.vacha at Jan 12, 2016,