Hi all,

I'm looking for a 24 fret, HSH, Floyd-equipped, not more that 25'' scale guitar to be my main guitar, to use mainly to play classic heavy metal/hard rock but also other styles like rock, blues, etc. I went to all the main manufacturers websites and it seems that 25.5 inches is the norm, with the notable exception of Gibson (which don't usually offer 24 frets or Floyd) or Caparison (which don't usually offer HSH and they have that horrible headstock). Wood species are a non-issue, although I prefer a maple neck and an ebony fingerboard.

Any help please?
Last edited by ivanfoofoo at Jan 11, 2016,
Most PRS guitars are 25" scale. Some of the 'weird' Fender models are 22.5" and 24" scale, but good luck finding one with a floyd.

Just out of curiosity, what is wrong with 25.5" guitars? I honestly only ever noticed a difference in string tension between 24.75 and 25.5 guitars, but that's just me.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Jan 11, 2016,
Nothing really wrong, just preference. I prefer the tone of smaller scales, specially for blues (they sound warmer, and longer scales sound brighter). I also have very small hands and shorter scales might help me with big hand stretches which are not uncommon in heavy metal. And there's a tension difference. If I use 0.10 strings in a 24.75'' guitar, I'd use 0.09 strings in a 25.5'' guitar.

PRS don't offer HSH guitars and they only seem to have one Floyd-equipped one. I'm considering that one, but I'm not fully convinced.
Last edited by ivanfoofoo at Jan 11, 2016,
That's understandable. I only asked because, unless having a non 25.5" scale guitar is more important than any of those other requirements, I'd just forget it. Like you've already found out, Gibson/Epiphone don't make a whole lot of HSH, floyd, or 24 fret guitars (let alone one with all that) and they're pretty much the biggest brand for short scale guitars.

That's just my opinion though, you gotta go with what feels right to you.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Jan 11, 2016,
Maybe you can find a B.C. Rich Mockingbird with a Floyd and 3 Humbuckers and then drop a single coil in the middle?

Hard specs to match up. Maybe Danny can pull something out.

You may want to start looking at the custom shops. Agile has their custom shop open now.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Agile was my first thought as well. The Interceptor looks like it's available with all the specs you wanted.
http://www.rondomusic.com/interceptorjan2016.html

Carvin might be an option, the DC series and the California Carved Top series are 25" scale and can come with 24 frets and a Floyd. I don't remember if any of those come with HSH as an option, but play around with their guitar builder and see what you can get.
Beyond the options mentioned already- or going for a cust build- I'm not recalling any.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Yes, which is weird, I don't think I'm asking for rare specs at all. It's just a typical superstrat with a shorter scale...

If I change the HSH to HH I could get a PRS "Floyd" Custom 24. It seems the closest to what I'm looking for that I could get from one of the big manufacturers...
I did a search for HSH 24.75", and by reading similar threads on other boards, found that there have been several builders who put out such guitars...15-20 years ago. My guess is that they weren't strong sellers.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 12, 2016,
Carvin makes the DC-145, which is an HSH guitar with a 25" scale and 24 frets, and a Floyd is an option. Fact is, you can probably order most of their guitars with an HSH option (I have an older DC-150 done that way, and Gibson USED to make an LP with the MIII (HSH, five way, etc.) switching options.

A lot of "typical" superstrats have HSS setups, but there's never been a problem finding a single-coil size humbucker for the neck position.

This was a popular guitar in the '80's and '90's, and is one of my favorites, but most of the superstrats these days are HSS with a longer scale or an H-H.
Carvin is your best option here.

HOWEVER, I think you may want to consider PRS again - the Custom 24s come with coil splits which let you get reasonably close to single coil tones.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Yes, I think I'd drop my pickup configuration. Actually HSH, SSH or even HH should do. I find it quite weird that shorter scales are not being used anymore, except by PRS and Carvin.
Quote by ivanfoofoo
Yes, I think I'd drop my pickup configuration. Actually HSH, SSH or even HH should do. I find it quite weird that shorter scales are not being used anymore, except by PRS and Carvin.

24.75" and 25" scales are being used by a TON of builders. It was the HSH *with* those scales AND 24 frets that were a tough to find combination. Almost everything that comes from Gibson is in 24.75" scale, for starters. But even Gibson's HSH guitars (the M-III is a reissue of an early 90's guitar: http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Designer/Gibson-USA/M-III.aspx ) are 25.5". The Nighthawk Standard is an HSH guitar, and it's 25.5" scale http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Designer/Gibson-USA/20th-Anniversary-Nighthawk-Standard.aspx

And even Gibson's Les Pauls are getting 25.5" scale options:
http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/CS-Les-Paul-Long-Scale.aspx

But this is a Carvin 25" HSH (one of mine):

Yes, that actually proves my point, I'm always talking about 24 fret, not more that 25'' scales. I can't believe there are 25.5'' LPs... :P
Quote by ivanfoofoo
Yes, that actually proves my point, I'm always talking about 24 fret, not more that 25'' scales. I can't believe there are 25.5'' LPs... :P

Apropos of nothing at all -- when I investigated getting a new Variax guitar two years ago, I'd originally planned on getting the 24.75" scale JTV59. But I ended up with a pair of 25.5" scale, 24-fret, 16" radius, jumbo fretted JTV 89Fs. Go figure.
The sad thing is that even if I reduce my specs to a 25'' scale guitar with Floyd Rose, I have no other option than the PRS "Floyd" Custom 24. Otherwise I'd have to custom build it, which is a pain for me since I live in Europe and I don't wanna pay for import duties/taxes...
LTD do a EC-1001FR 24.75" FR equipped HH eclipse (les paul shape).

Caparison Horus 24.75" FR HS 27 frets super strat

That's about all I can find.