My local guitar store has two bolt-on neck guitars of the same model that have different color bodies and different fingerboard materials. My problem is that I really like the color of one of them, however it does not have my desired fingerboard material. And the owner is a nice guy and I'm thinking that I could ask him to swap the neck of the two guitars before I buy them, me paying for the strings of course. However, I don't want to rub him the wrong way.

So what I want to know is if my request is reasonable or if I'm just being an asshole and should suck it up.
See if he is willing to do that and how much he'll charge you for the work. Don't expect him to do this for free, because both of those guitar will need to be set up again and both may need to have the neck shimmed. I honestly wouldn't do it for less than the price of two setups.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I don't see anything wrong with asking him about it. It's reasonable for sure and he can't really hold it against you or your character because it's a valid request.

But you should probably post the price he says here so that the experts can tell you if HE is being reasonable or not.
Taking two brand new guitars and turning them into used, parts guitars is just flushing money down the drain from the shop's perspective. You can ask, but I will be surprised if they agree to it. They can't sell the second guitar as new or original after swapping necks. Of course, if it's a shady shop, maybe they won't care and they'll just do it anyway. But any reputable shop will turn this down, at least for the price of just one guitar and the bench fee for the neck swap.

It's not really a reasonable request. Nobody's going to throw you out of their shop or anything for asking, but expect a chuckle and a gentle but firm "no."
I replied and deleted because I thought I misread this, but now I'm not sure. Roc's right, of course.

If you plan on buying both guitars, then go ahead and ask; a couple setups is probably about right. If you're only buying one, forget about it.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
If they were 2 original guitars of the same model, and I part it out for you so you can have best of both worlds, what does that leave the shop with? A modded guitar that sells for less than the original would and labor costs for doing the swap.

Like mentioned, it probably won't get you kicked out for asking, but you will probably get a chuckle and a no. I wouldn't say its a reasonable request though.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
It's not gonna happen. Roc pretty much nailed it.

But let me add that the Guitar company may have a certain serial # that goes with each finished guitar to tell what options the guitar came with.

Best bet is have them order the color you want with the neck fretboard you want (if they can do that)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jan 13, 2016,
Quote by Roc8995
Taking two brand new guitars and turning them into used, parts guitars is just flushing money down the drain from the shop's perspective. You can ask, but I will be surprised if they agree to it. They can't sell the second guitar as new or original after swapping necks. Of course, if it's a shady shop, maybe they won't care and they'll just do it anyway. But any reputable shop will turn this down, at least for the price of just one guitar and the bench fee for the neck swap.

It's not really a reasonable request. Nobody's going to throw you out of their shop or anything for asking, but expect a chuckle and a gentle but firm "no."

that's what i was thinking
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It's not just a matter of taking the screws out of each neck and swapping them. If the guitars are any good, they were worked at the factory so the neck fit properly in that particular body. It may have needed a little sanding or minor routing to make the neck pocket fit well or shims to angle it correctly etc., either way that neck was set up for that body. If I was the owner of the store I wouldn't do it unless you bought both guitars and paid for the work. It may not be as easy as you think. Roc was right, you're asking someone to take two guitars and turning them into two used guitars that may need a lot of work. Good luck.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
I think you've have 2 guitars with void warranties too. Like buying a new car and modifying it.
^ that also
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate