I've been playing shows for a few years now, but have never traveled farther than like 50 miles for one, so I'm excited to say that it looks like I'm gonna be hitting the road with my band! Going from Texas to Cali and back over 2 weeks, I believe it is, and I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips or anecdotal advice for being on the road for that long. I've been playing shows for a few years now, but have never traveled farther than like 50 miles for one so I want my first tour experience to be a good one. Nobody wants to make n00b mistakes and eff up the tour.
underdoghouse.bandcamp.com
I toured for about 3 years in my early twenties and overall it was a great learning experience. But it can also be a "best of times, worst of times" situation depending on the band dynamics. The first band I toured with was a constant power battle. Although I enjoyed the tour, the constant drama really drained me emotionally and often had an effect on our performances. Fortunately the next band I toured with had been doing it for some time and were much more professional..not to mention a lot more fun to do stuff with. We all became very tight as friends and I had a great time.

Just two weeks is pretty short, so you should be able to get along pretty well. Playing with bandmembers once or twice a week is very different from living with them. That's when the egos and individual personality flaws begin to show up. The more professional and disciplined everyone is, the more you'll all enjoy it. Everyone not taking things too seriously and having a good sense of humor makes an ENORMOUS difference.
The most important thing in my experience is: Make sure someone in your traveling party has a copy of every contract for each gig you have scheduled. Do not leave home without them no matter what anyone tells you. I can't emphasize this enough.

Expect interpersonal issues. They will happen. Just try and chill the situation as best you can.

Make sure that whoever is handling the finances has enough money on hand to pay for the trip even if you don't get paid immediately at the gigs. Hopefully that doesn't happen but be prepared. Put aside a "get home" fund as a backup plan and don't touch it for any other reason except going home.

Bring extra strings, drum sticks etc. Don't expect to find a local store while you are on the road.

Have fun. This can be the greatest learning experience. The road can make or break a band but preplanning will help a lot.

One last thing that may be the most important. Don't take any illegal substances with you. None. A bunch of traveling musicians is a target for local law enforcement. Don't think you can hide something inside of something and no one will ever find it, they can and will. You don't want to end up in some little town locked up for the night because of a joint that someone forgot about in their gear. Just say no while on the road. It's about music and business, not a party. Party when you get home after a successful tour. Good luck.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Jan 12, 2016,
Make sure you stock up on weed before hitting the road, should come in handy before a show
For the shows themselves, don't book yourself as the headliner. Rather, support or co-headline the gig with a local established band. This way you'll actually play to people.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by loumangroup
Make sure you stock up on weed before hitting the road, should come in handy before a show

Well, that's one way to ensure you won't be doing any subsequent tours....
+1 on the above. I hope it was just a troll comment meant to be humorous. Unfortunately that kind of thinking is fairly prevalent and that's why too many players can't make the transition from being "a legend in their own bedroom" to being professional players. They think that going on the road is a non-stop party. It isn't, it's serious often grueling work that takes commitment and patience and the ability to tough out a lot of bad situations. If you are playing with a band that thinks going out on the road is going to be a rolling party, stay home till you find some serious musicians. Been there,done that and I already made those mistakes.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Jan 13, 2016,