Please pardon my ignorance--I am seriously looking into isolated power for the first time. My pedalboard has grown significantly within the last two years, and I find myself in dire need of addressing my power situation to overcome noise. Below is my signal chain, including power reqs. (If mA is not noted, manufacturer does not specify--e.g., 9V battery or power supply.)

Line 6 Relay G50 Receiver - 9V @ 300mA
JHS Pedals Mini A/B - 9V
TC Electronic Polytune 2 Mini - 9V
Boss Noise Suppressor (NS-2) - 9V (send out)
Ernie Ball VP Jr. - (Passive)
JHS Pedals Little Black Buffer - 9V
Vox V847-AUJ Wah - 9V
MXR Custom Comp - 9V
Electro-Harmonix C9 - 9V 100 mA
Electro-Harmonix Crayon - 9V
Vox Ice-9 (OD) - 9V (NS-2 return)
TC Electronic Nova Delay (ND-1) - 12V 300mA
Vox Time Machine (Delay) - 9V
TC Electronic Mini Hall of Fame - 9V

Also in need of power on the board is a TC Helicon VoiceTone Create (12V 300 mA).

Clearly, there's a lot going on! I want to improve the efficiency of my board overall and reduce noise. Recognizing that daisy chaining is generally frowned upon while talking isolated power, I would love to get two or three recommendations on how I can get everything powered (hopefully) from a single unit. If it came to it, I'm not opposed to chaining a smaller pedals together. Thanks for the help!
you can get a BIG supply and isolate everything or my strategy would be to get a normal supply that is versatile (hi output, normal output, AC, DC, etc options) and on pedals you dont use much or non essential ones you can get a Y splitter cable that uses 1 jack on the supply but hooks to 2 pedals. so an 8 jack supply could effectively power 16 pedals.

OR, just take a daisy chain cable commonly found on a 1 spot, for example. if you do that, man 1 outlet could potentially supply 8+ pedals (with low power requirements).

keep your critical pedals or noisy pedals on isolated supplies.

i use the Walrus Aetos.
http://walrusaudio.com/shop/aetos-clean-power-supply/

or this monster. its new! never knew they had this, i just checked out their site.

http://walrusaudio.com/shop/phoenix-120v/
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Last edited by ikey_ at Jan 12, 2016,
Well, daisy chaining your whole board isn't usually smart with something of that size, but done with some intelligence it's a perfectly good strategy, and will save you from having to shell out $400 for some monster supply.

For example, your tuner: by definition, it's not on when your other pedals are making noise. So you can daisy chain that with most things. The A/B pedal is just running some LEDs, so it's unlikely to interfere with anything. Your wah and your compressor are unlikely to have clock noise or RF interference, so they can probably be safely chained together as well. You can also think about chaining drive pedals that you don't ever use at the same time. Generally, digital pedals should have their own iso supply or at least should not be chained with distortion units.

Then there's the buffer. I'm puzzled as to why you need it at all. You have several buffers on the board already, and even if you didn't, surely the Line 6 receiver has an output buffer. Once you have one, there's no reason to add more buffers. You're either buffered or you're not. So I'd consider just removing that entirely unless there's something I'm missing here.

It's a bit cramped, but here's how I'd start wiring your board to a standard Pedal Power 2+. The daisy chain is a little bigger than I'd like, but I don't think you'd have any issues with interference. Everything that really needs iso power is isolated.
1. Tuner + A/B + wah + compressor + Ice-9 + NS-2 daisy chained, plus buffer if you keep it
2. G50
3. C9
4. Crayon
5. HoF
6. Time Machine
7. Nova Delay
8. Helicon

Check that the 7-8 ports on the PP2+ can handle 300 mV at 12V. The Helicon, Nova, and probably the G50 should be on their own supplies. The Time Machine and the HoF might be ok with other digital pedals (provided the draw is ok) but should not be paired with drives or comps. The C9 I'm not sure about but I've had EHX modulation pedals act super dirty before so it probably should stay isolated.

If you get noise with the above setup, figure out if the NS-2 is generating noise in the daisy chain. It shouldn't, but you could probably swap it with the Crayon and be ok.

In case it helps, or anyone else is wondering, here's how I choose and set up a pedalboard power supply:

For finding a supply, figure out how many non-9V and high draw pedals you need, and find a unit that has that many outlets of the necessary non-standard type. After that, just figure out how many regular 9V outlets you need - this is just the number of isolated pedals minus the daisy chained pedals (plus one, remember you need an outlet for the daisy chain).

For planning out a supply, to minimize interaction:
  • Find all the weird stuff. 12/18 volt stuff, negative polarity, super high current draw (>250mA). These almost always get their own isolated supply, and will need a particular spec that might cramp you for outlets (for instance, the PP2+ only has two 250mA outlets). Figure out what power supply you'll need to get to accommodate all of them, or if it's more efficient to run them on their own dedicated supply in addition to your "brick."
  • Find the high draw and digital stuff. Usually this means digital effects and others (reverb and delay, often) which draw 50+ mA. Keep in mind that the actual power draw of a device is almost always quite a bit lower than the adapter the manufacturer sells or recommends. Try to find the actual current draw, if you can. High-draw devices usually cannot share an outlet with another high-draw device, and digital devices are common offenders in creating interference for other pedals. These units should get their own isolated outlet if possible.
  • Find the sensitive and highly interactive stuff. Sensitive pedals are ones that make more noise the more noise you put in. Distortion pedals, for example. Dirty power will make your distortion pedal really noisy; your flanger, not so much (usually). Try to put these in their own isolated supplies, if you can.
  • Find the "friendlies." Some pedals have nearly no interaction, and can safely be daisy chained all day long with lots of other pedals. Pedals that don't alter the signal chain or only use power for indicator lights (many A/B boxes, tuners, volume pedals, etc) fall into this category. Put these on the daisy chain right away.
  • Find the stuff in the middle, low draw pedals that may or may not interact. Most of your distortion, wah, compressor, tremolo type pedals will fall here. With these, you can either experiment with the daisy chain or just put them on their own outlet if you have extras free.
  • Experiment with the daisy chain(s). I usually have just one daisy chain on a supply, but there's no reason you can't have more than one. Two pedals that you know don't interact can be chained, freeing up some space for others that may.
  • If you are getting noise from a daisy chained pedal, try isolating it to see if it's an interaction causing the noise. If it is, re-introduce it into the daisy chain and add (or remove) other pedals one by one to see if you can find the one (hopefully just one) that's causing the issue. You may want to test across multiple pedals if you find interactions; taking one digital pedal out of the daisy chain might remove noise from three others in it, instead of putting all three of those pedals on their own iso supply.
  • Play and listen. You're not guaranteed to get it perfect on the first try, even if it's set up ideally on paper. If something sounds weird or off, go back and re-evaluate what might be causing interference. Keep in mind that sometimes just the pedal order can cause issues; it's not always just the power supply.
well it seems a 15+ powersupply is hard to come by and expensive, instead of using the daisy chain cable into a powersupply unit you could get 2 units that hold 10 pedals, you would have extra spots aswell

you would use up two wall outlet spots tho, just an option..
Very Orange CARVIN DC 700
PRS SE Custom - crunch lab&PAF pro
Ibanez GRX40 - modified
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ 2x12 cab

Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice