Page 1 of 4
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-01-11/merkel-says-response-to-terrible-sexual-attacks-to-be-swift

Chancellor Angela Merkel’s government moved swiftly to tighten asylum rules in response to public outrage over the New Year’s Eve sexual assaults as the German leader said the refugee crisis is putting Europe at risk.

Merkel’s Christian Democratic Union and her Social Democratic coalition ally agreed on Tuesday on legislative proposals to ease the expulsion of refugees who commit crimes, including sexual assault and attacks on police officers, as fallout from the attacks heightens the threat to the chancellor’s open-door refugee policy.

“The priority now is to get these laws in force as quickly as possible” so that courts can apply them, Merkel said at a news conference in Berlin. “We’re looking at how to make the parliamentary process as fast as possible.”

Merkel plans to meet lawmakers later Tuesday to move the measures forward as the number of criminal complaints linked to a group of over 1,000 men who gathered in front of Cologne’s main station on New Year’s Eve surged to more than 500. Some 45 percent of the complaints involve sexual assault against women, Cologne police said this week. Twenty-two of 32 suspects identified by authorities are asylum seekers, the Interior Ministry said.

“We are vulnerable because we don’t have the orderliness and management of the refugees under control yet,” Merkel said in a speech to a business group in the western city of Mainz on Monday. While voicing frustration that progress on securing the European Union’s outer frontiers is “too slow,” she vowed to uphold open borders between the members of the Schengen agreement because it benefits Germany’s economy.

Merkel is confronting what she has called the “most complex” challenge of her 10 years in power, with the incidents in Cologne and other cities blowing up the country’s already heated debate on migration. The arrival of 1.1 million asylum seekers last year has strained Germany’s ability to handle the record influx.

Should we acknowledge that there are negatives to accepting refugees? Should we stop doing it? Should we keep at it? Thoughts etc.
They should concentrate them in camps to keep them away from the general german population.
Check out my band Disturbed
we should ban them all until the US figures out what the hell is going on
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Its almost like letting in thousands of people from a different culture, with little to no formal education, and can barely speak the native language would cause problems. who would've guessed
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Who's "we" that sounds like a German problem.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by steve_muse
we should ban them all until the US figures out what the hell is going on

obvs pros cons to both sides and the issue is super complex and no matter what gets decided, we'll probably always think back and be all "oh man what if we did it differently" sort of thing

only thing that comes to mind right now is my dad's reading a book on fdr and eleanor r. called 'on the homefront' or somehting like that and my dad got to a part that dealt with post-wwii refugees, namely jews, and how literally no one in the world wanted them and there was more to it but there were a lot of parallels to what is going on now.

i impulsively lean towards the notion of accept the refugees and deal with the problems because 'greater good' or 'helping victims' or something like that. but i also can totally understand the distress that happens when literally hundreds of thousands of people suddenly move into town. like that is a massive event you know.

i think merkel's acceptance of the refugees was incredibly admirable, when no one else seemed interested. i think in the long run it will work out to the benefit of everyone. i think that there are also still hundreds of thousands of displaced families, and continuing to maintain open borders will help them, as well as the economy etc. but i also think that the motion to tighten asylum laws is also a wise one, as the pot will boil over unless it gets controlled first, or something like that.

anyway i have no idea really but my first thoughts are i'm in support of maintaining open borders, but also in support of tighter legislation and enforcement in the short term
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
How related to the refugee crisis was this incident in Germany? It is still probably a very low risk to take on more refugees in North America, especially since they are some of the most vetted residents in the U.S.
Why the fuck don't they go to Israel? Didn't they start this mess?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Western society has trended dangerously close to full on bleeding heart liberalism where pragmatic thinking goes to die. The West is ruled by soft degenerates that haven't yet been able to figure out that just because they can envision something working ideally, does not mean that it is going to work ideally.

Make no mistake, even if Europe had been able to keep them out, they wouldn't have. There's too many feels to go around for correct decision making to take place.
This debate used to be framed as one between tolerance and xenophobia, but is now between people who simply disagree. This is a step in the right direction, but it's too little too late. Merkel is losing her people's trust.
Quote by bradulator
Should we acknowledge that there are negatives to accepting refugees? Should we stop doing it? Should we keep at it? Thoughts etc.

Germany already has a problem with high sexual assault rates. Address those instead of attributing them to refugees.

I don't really have a problem with that new law. Deporting criminals is a given. But the focal point of these discussions sounds very politely Trump-ian. "Should we protect our borders against rapists?" Totally loaded.

Quote by bdof
My favorite Refugee related video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4rZqCYEA7g

The more you post the more I'm convinced that you're absolutely anti-social. Like is there any part of you that's still a person or are you just fucking irreparable? And what the fuck made you so dead?
Quote by Bladez22
Its almost like letting in thousands of people from a different culture, with little to no formal education, and can barely speak the native language would cause problems. who would've guessed

You have no fucking clue what you're talking about.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
We should have taken refugees because it's the right thing to do but we should have thought a bit better about what to do with them than just shipping them out to existing towns and ruining the established demographic make up of communities. That kinda thing has consequences.

This is multiculturalism done wrong.
Quote by EndTheRapture51

White boys be like "Let's hang out with that group of strangers fleeing conflict cuz then we're more multicultural."

#YesAllRefugees
#NotAllWhitePeople

I know better than to get involved in this but ima lurk incase something gets my goat
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
I think we should accept Syrians with college degrees, and put permanent restraining orders on ones with GEDs
Quote by The_Blode
Put yourself in the shoes of a refugee...it's probably pretty grim...living day to day and a lot of people don't want to help you...
yeah but to be fair they're foreign and we europeans really struggle with that, historically speaking

disclaimer: this is a joke
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Quote by Banjocal
yeah but to be fair they're foreign and we europeans really struggle with that, historically speaking

Not to mention with the whole ISIS thing. As a whole Americans and apparently Europeans aren't very good at figuring out who is who. So obviously there's going to be a rift.
Quote by The_Blode
But I think people in the UK are fearful of refugees now because they probably think some are terrorists...which might be true...but all these have to pass through border controls and stuff...so the checks should be stronger? Background check every refugee? ;|

Living day to day...with no possessions...there must be a certain freedom about it...but there's no dignity living that way...just like the homeless people in the city...who suffer day to day...who are unwanted...most people don't want to help them...similar situation to the refugee...

This has been the situation in the US for a while now. Everyone is freaking out because we apparently think all brown people are terrorists. Yay us, right?

These people obviously need help, but I personally have no idea how to figure out who is who.
There were always going to be problems with letting in a lot of refugees and since Germany went a bit mad with it the scale of the Cologne stuff wasn't particularly surprising.

Anyway I think it was a wake up call to the rest of Europe that Merkel is a muppet and didn't know what she was doing.
If places are going to keep taking in refugees they need to be careful/tactical about it.
I have nothing important to say
Quote by EndTheRapture51
We should have taken refugees because it's the right thing to do but we should have thought a bit better about what to do with them than just shipping them out to existing towns and ruining the established demographic make up of communities. That kinda thing has consequences.

Little Berkhamsted has been #destroyed by the arrival 2 refugees, violently disrupting our established demographic of 100% white people. This kinda thing #consequences
There are good people and bad people in all groups and the notion of innocent until guilty should still apply here. So continue to let them in until they fuck up.

The seeking asylum as a result of becoming a refugee is a basic human right imo, but at the same time, the minute you start to abuse or disrespect that right it should be taken away from you. So assaulting border officers and committing crimes in the country that is taking you in and giving you a new home should result in your arse being shipped back from whence it came.

At the same time authorities over here need to play a better role in encouraging tolerance of other cultures, as well as think about how they'll integrate refugees into their communities.

Basically TL;DR - Everyone can do better, would be so much easier if people weren't dickheads.
Quote by tateandlyle
Little Berkhamsted has been #destroyed by the arrival 2 refugees, violently disrupting our established demographic of 100% white people. This kinda thing #consequences

Nah but that town of 300 in Germany which had 700 male Syrian refugees were arriving wasn't good for the culture of that town
Quote by JamSessionFreak
You have no fucking clue what you're talking about.

Haha no of course, silly me
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Nah but that town of 300 in Germany which had 700 male Syrian refugees were arriving wasn't good for the culture of that town

#keepbritainbritish
We pay taxes so they can survive the winter, then they blow themselves up at the middle of fucking Istanbul. Erdogan didnt die for this /s

Jokes aside, although I dont like the "buffer zone" plan, every passing day it becomes more like a solution.
Quote by arcanom
Mint and chocolate shouldnt be togather.
"Literally Worst Post of 2k16" approved by After Eight Lovers...
Quote by tateandlyle
#keepbritainbritish

Will stop being an idiot no one is saying that what people are concerned for is that refugees are upsetting the traditions and cultures of existing countries. Large influx of foreign refugees into small towns will only create us vs them mentalities as opposed to spreading out small groups of families to be settled in and integrated well

Your literally arguing for segregation and ethnic cleansing
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Your literally arguing for segregation and ethnic cleansing

i think you need a lie down
Page 1 of 4